PRS Chris Robertson Vs Gibson les paul classic P90s Opinions

What's Hot
For one reason and another i stopped playing guitar a few years ago but now i feel ready to have another bash.

I have always been a Les Paul guy but i also used a PRS Mira 25th Anniversary and i loved the neck, scale length and P90s.

Having read clarke_111 thread about the Les Paul Classic i was wondering if any opinions are available comparing the PRS Chris Robertson with the LPC

The things drawing me to the PRS are the P90 and Fat neck, i was also hoping that the PRS would have the "thump" of a good Les Paul. Also a secondhand PRS should be available for £500 or so.

I know i can get on with the LP neck but i did prefer the fatter PRS of the Mira and hopefully the Chris Robertson is in the same ballpark

I know the best thing to do is try first, i am very limited to stores that carry either guitar

any input / piss taking welcome

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753
    The PRS is a heck of a lot cheaper, new at least.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited December 2018
    I've a 97 Classic, it rocks, though I switched the pickups. **

the Robertson PRS would be a contender if I was looking for a replacement, I like his playing style and he seems a sound guy - one of the few sigs where the signer would influence me. I'm sure I saw him say he plays a stock one on tour, literally just takes one from the warehouse.

** edit ah you're looking at modern Classics, my experience not relevant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbomb said:
    I've a 97 Classic, it rocks, though I switched the pickups. **

the Robertson PRS would be a contender if I was looking for a replacement, I like his playing style and he seems a sound guy - one of the few sigs where the signer would influence me. I'm sure I saw him say he plays a stock one on tour, literally just takes one from the warehouse.

** edit ah you're looking at modern Classics, my experience not relevant!

still apreciate the input. Thank you
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    The PRS is currently being sold cheap at Andertons  on a deal

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    I think there's also a Chris Robertson PRS in the classifieds here. It keeps calling my name and I keep blocking my ears. Fortunately geography is in my favour.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    stonevibe said:
    Looks like they've sold out now 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The current version of the Les Paul Classic has the awful slim taper neck.  If you like bigger necks, the PRS might be the way to go.

I did play one of those Chris Robertson guitars in a shop a while back.  It wasn't the lightest guitar I've ever played.

The PRS SE Bernie Marsden signature gets very good reviews so that might be worth a look.

• I was looking at the Bernie Marsden PRS - not p90 but a lot cheaper than the Gibson (in fact half the price) I’m tempted by that as well 
  • stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:
    Bugger
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    Would a PRS SE Singlecut Soapbar float your boat?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:
    Bugger
    Keep an eye on their website.  They may get a return.

Worth keeping an eye on GAK and GuitarGuitar as well.  If one of them has a special then sometimes the others follow suit.
  • frown said:
    Would a PRS SE Singlecut Soapbar float your boat?
    I have looked at these and like them, but would probably hold out for the CR model, not sure about the neck size on the Single cut
  • crunchman said:
    stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:
    Bugger
    Keep an eye on their website.  They may get a return.

Worth keeping an eye on GAK and GuitarGuitar as well.  If one of them has a special then sometimes the others follow suit.
    Thanks for that idea
    Looking on youtube (i know its not the greatest method) i like both guitars. the Gibson neck is putting me off as i really liked the chunky neck of my old anniversary Mira and the CR model sounds similar.
    I have my eye on a mint PRS at the moment but it is sans the gigbag and that puts me off a little
  • So i have been looking to find either guitar and missed two lovely looking Pelham blue Les Paul classics..... BUT i snagged PRS Chris Robertson, just waiting delivery. Not at all fussed about the artist association, liking the idea of Humbucker / P90 and fat neck. Hoping it wont disapoint
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24236
    I have to say his new album has some belting tones on it. 

All Helix too. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    So i have been looking to find either guitar and missed two lovely looking Pelham blue Les Paul classics..... BUT i snagged PRS Chris Robertson, just waiting delivery. Not at all fussed about the artist association, liking the idea of Humbucker / P90 and fat neck. Hoping it wont disapoint
    Nice enjoy 

I've got a Santana PRS, I love the chunky neck. Quite a few guitarist I know have had a play on it and I always get the same comment - 'not a fan of PRS but this feels really nice' - yep to right it does its the neck ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24236
    I just spotted that Chris Robertson has uploaded his live patches for this tour onto Customtone. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I picked one up from Andersons a few months back, I haven’t really made my mind up about it yet.  It looks beautiful, quite heavy, but with a good meaty neck.  The guitar is shipped with 9 gauge strings which, on a 24.5” scale length guitar, feel a bit ‘floppy’.

The first thing that I did was to swap the tuners for a locking set (to speed up re-stringing).  I’ve been playing around with set ups and, this weekend, put on a set of 10s again (I’ve been back and to between 9s and 10s a couple of times).  I’ve also got it tuned down a semitone at the moment for the covers band.  The two issues I have are tuning stability and intonation around the 2nd fret, most noticeable on the G string (Or Gb as it is today).  I may get it over to the local guitar tech in the New Year.  An unwound G is always prone to intonation problems but I wonder whether the nut is cut correctly.

Sound wise it’s a little darker than my other PRSs.  I had to lower the bridge pickup for the 10s but it sounds nicely balanced with the P90 in the neck.

I'm trying to decide whether to use it at this Friday’s gig.
  • I was watching a YT vid of them playing live and I see he uses the SE live. Cool.

Did he not use LPs originally?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    In all the time I've been watching BSC he's mostly used a mix of LPs and PRS.   Ben Wells, the other guitarist, uses a lot of LPs, the odd Gretsch, and both of them busted out Teles on the recent tour.