Someone Cautioned About Pickups Recently

What's Hot
deanodeano Frets: 622
I read one of the threads in here with advice for new bass players and what bass to buy. Someone said to avoid, or at least be aware of, basses with pickups that were nit standard sizes.

I can't find the thread and I can't remembering whether they were the budget Yamaha or Ibanez ranges. Can anyone shed any light on this, or at least remember the thread so I can find out which basses have these non-standard size pickups in?

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It only matters if you want to change the pickups.

Even then it’s probably possible to get a rewind done by somebody. It’d just restrict off the shelf pickup purchases.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    It only matters if you want to change the pickups.

Even then it’s probably possible to get a rewind done by somebody. It’d just restrict off the shelf pickup purchases.
    Oh I agree, but then again this is my first bass and I will amost certainly want to fettle it at some point. I have all the tools and am used to mainatining and upgrading my guitars.

I'm not suggesting I wouldn't still buy one, but I would like to know beforehand. I don't even mind taking a chisel to something and refinishing it. Probably not on Christmas morning but down the road I might.

One of the basses I'm considering is a used  Yamaha RBX 170 which my local shop has on sale for £79. Which, considering my lack of experience on bass, sounded fine to me when I tried it. I must admit I tried basses from £79 up to £1200 recent and I couldn't tell much difference between them, so I will be looking at the lower end.

I'm just wanting to know if I am buying something that can't be upgraded easily. It isn't a deal breaker though.
  • deano said:
    It only matters if you want to change the pickups.

Oh I agree, but then again this is my first bass and I will amost certainly want to fettle it at some point. I have all the tools and am used to mainatining and upgrading my guitars.

I'm not suggesting I wouldn't still buy one, but I would like to know beforehand. I don't even mind taking a chisel to something and refinishing it. Probably not on Christmas morning but down the road I might.

One of the basses I'm considering is a used  Yamaha RBX 170 which my local shop has on sale for £79. Which, considering my lack of experience on bass, sounded fine to me when I tried it. I must admit I tried basses from £79 up to £1200 recent and I couldn't tell much difference between them, so I will be looking at the lower end.

I'm just wanting to know if I am buying something that can't be upgraded easily. It isn't a deal breaker though.
    The RBX170 looks like it has standard size Fender pups, so you'll have plenty to choose from (if you notice the difference! ;) ). 

I imagine the other thread was talking about specific sized soap bars? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited December 2018
    deano said:
    Someone said to avoid, or at least be aware of, basses with pickups that were not standard sizes. I can't find the thread and I can't remembering whether they were the budget Yamaha or Ibanez ranges. Can anyone shed any light on this or, at least, remember the thread so I can find out which basses have these non-standard size pickups in?
    It was I.

Yamaha and Ibanez "in-house" pickups are both sometimes guilty of this.

On a typical mid-price Yamaha RBX series four string bass, the rectangular pickup cavity is long enough to accommodate an EMG-40 sized pickup. On some of their five stringers, the cavity would accept an EMG-45 pickup.

Some of the Ibanez/Soundgear SR models have narrow "soapbar" pickups of highly unusual dimensions. In my opinion, the stock pickups suck. I could never find any aftermarket pickups that exactly fit the cavities. The nearest were Bartolini and Norstrand. A pair from either brand would cost more than the pre-owned host instrument.

EMG-40 pickups are intended for five string basses. The P version splits the coils three and two. This makes it unsuitable for a four string bass. 

Similarly, EMG-45 pickups are intended for six string basses. The P version splits the coils three and three, making it unsuitable for a five string bass.

Sits back and awaits sarcasm from Bridgehouse. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Thanks @Funkfingers, much appreciated.
  • Is it really worth upgrading a £79 bass, especially one that "sounds fine"? I'd put the money towards a great playing and well-made bass with decent hardware (bridge & tuners) before thinking of upgrading pickups.
    deano said:
    Yamaha RBX 170 which my local shop has on sale for £79.
    I'd put the money towards a great playing and well-made bass with decent hardware (bridge & tuners) before thinking of upgrading pickups.
    That would probably be the Yamaha RBX 270. Better tuners and bridge than the entry level 170. Its PJ type pickups would be a doddle to upgrade if/when you feel the need. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    This used to be an issue with the otherwise excellent Aria SB series basses, which I had a couple of back in the late 80s - the pickups were not only a unique size, they were also resin-potted, so if one died you were stuffed as it couldn't be rewound. It's a long time since I've seen one for repair though, and there may be aftermarket pickups available now... or not. It's one thing that slightly puts me off looking for another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    ICBM said:
    This used to be an issue with the otherwise excellent Aria SB series basses, which I had a couple of back in the late 80s - the pickups were not only a unique size, they were also resin-potted, so if one died you were stuffed as it couldn't be rewound. It's a long time since I've seen one for repair though, and there may be aftermarket pickups available now... or not. It's one thing that slightly puts me off looking for another one.
    There are: https://www.rautiaguitars.net/aria-pro-ii.html. Haven’t tried them myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    polotska said:

There are: https://www.rautiaguitars.net/aria-pro-ii.html. Haven’t tried them myself.
    That’s extremely useful to know, thanks!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thank you for this link. Some interesting non-standard options there. I like the MM style pickup idea but it would need to be mounted in the proper "sweet spot" position.

Perhaps, one day, they will get around to designing a Fakenbacker model? ;)