IR noob questions

A few months ago I bought a Two Notes Torpedo CAB to use alongside the Revival Drive in my home practice/recording setup. I should mention I like to get my sounds 'outside of the box' (i.e. the computer), then record them, rather than create the sounds inside the DAW (Reaper in my case).

I whiled away yesterday evening working my way through some more settings on the Revival Drive as demonstrated by Shawn Tubbs, and setting up speakers on the CAB to use with them. I thought I would try some 3rd-party impulse responses, so I downloaded a few free ones. Tonight I figured out how to load them using Torpedo Remote, and I hit lucky with the first IR that I loaded from the 'God's Cab' free package. It instantly sounded better - bigger, warmer, rounder - than the onboard cabs. So down the IR rabbit-hole I go...

I do have some questions though:

(1) As I am using the IRs with the CAB pedal and not as plug-ins in a DAW, what are the pros and cons of the different IR sample rates (i.e. 44.1kHz, 48kHz etc) and wav lengths (200ms, 500ms)?

(2) Are there any limitations on sample format in the CAB, in the way that there are in units like the Helix?

(3) There are only 4 user slots on the CAB to store 3rd-party IRs, but loads of memory slots for presets. Can I store presets based on more than 4 different user IRs? The CAB is permanently connected by USB to my computer.

All wisdom gratefully received. I am sure I will have more questions too!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cliff from Fractal wrote some good thoughts on this, worth looking at the Fractal Wiki to see what his thoughts are on sample rates and lengths...from memory, the longer the better, allows for more detail.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    Cliff from Fractal wrote some good thoughts on this, worth looking at the Fractal Wiki to see what his thoughts are on sample rates and lengths...from memory, the longer the better, allows for more detail.
    Thanks @Jonathanthomas83, I found this article on the Fractal Wiki which suggests that IRs over 200ms are pointless unless the intention was to capture a lot of room reverb. That's a start!

I also went back to the CAB manual (I know, RTFM!) and it says:
    • 3.4 Third-party impulse responses The TORPEDO C.A.B. is capable of delivering the best guitar and bass tones by using the Torpedo technology, but you can also embed impulse responses you have purchased or downloaded for free from third-party developers, in WAV or AIFF formats. The TORPEDO C.A.B. may be seen as an "impulse loader". You can upload up to 512 third-party IRs in the TORPEDO C.A.B., by using the free Torpedo Remote software.
    Also:
    • 3rd-party IR files in .wav or .aiff format: TORPEDO C.A.B. complies with MONO third-party Impulse Responses (IRs) in .wav or .aiff format. Torpedo Remote will handle any kind of resolution, frequency, length, and will follow the process to convert the file into the Torpedo format:
    1. Normalizing to 0 dBFS
    2. Troncation at 18,66 ms
    3. Conversion to 24 bits/48 KHz.
    So, little point in loading 500ms IRs or using sample rates other than 48kHz.

512 third-party IRs eh? Do they mean in the CAB itself or on the computer running Torpedo Remote? Time to join the Two Nores forum methinks...