Got my RSL Grade 2 results today

This was my first exam so I was pleased (and quite surprised) to get a distinction with 90/100! Eyes down for Grade 3...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    @drpbier ;

Well done, not started with my Grade 1 yet, maybe in the new year.  90% means you must be doing something right I guess!  How have you found it i.e boring, useful, challenging etc and any tips?
  • Congrats! Is this for acoustic or electric?

I got one of my learners sitting their Grade 2 acoustic on Sunday, we did our final preparations last night. They should be ok.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 225
    edited December 2018
    Thanks @Shrews. I really enjoyed it. Before I started on the grades I was using Guitar Tricks for about 9 months, with the coaching 'Plus' membership - which I liked and found useful. However this suits me better as it's more progressive and quantifiable. I see a local teacher fortnightly and he determined that I was at Grade 2 level so that's where I started. I found the pieces quite challenging  - some parts were easy but there were passages in all 3 I really struggled to get under my fingers until I slowed them RIGHT down and repeated them over and over and increased the beat by 5bpm until they were up to tempo. I had about 7 months to prepare, picked pieces that I liked and practiced every day. Towards the end I was using the pieces, scales and chords as a warm up and started on the Grade 3 pieces, for some variety.
    It was electric 
  • well done keep up the good work
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Nice one!

This is great to hear, I've been wondering about the possibility of doing the grades myself for some quantifiable targets, since I'm a new learner too. Although I don't take lessons and won't be able to - is it feasible to do them without a tutor, the syllabus is in each book right enough to know what's required right?

I'm curious about how they determine what grade each piece is that you want to play, if you want to play songs not on the official lists for each grade, do you know?
    I think it would be feasible. It would be harder to know if you were playing right without some feedback though. As far as choosing your own pieces...that seems like a faff!
  • Its doable but very hard. I know my RSL Grade 2 acoustic learner won't practice unless I'm there each week to motivate them and show them how to practice properly. Unfortunately due to the examiner being sick their exam got cancelled so the date will be rescheduled in early 2019. Kinda makes it worse as they're off for Christmas now and I know for a fact they won't practice much, meaning we spend the first 3-4 weeks in January revisiting and refreshing, let's hope the exam isn't in the first 2 weeks of the new year!!
    Necro bump - I got my Grade 3 guitar results back today - passed with a merit. That'll do.
  • Well done! Bring on Grade 4!
    Well done! Bring on Grade 4!
    Yes, I've started. It's a significant step up!
  • I haven't actually had anyone enter for the Grade 4 electric RSL exam, only RGT.

But since the merger with London College of Music its starting to go downhill so I may not renew my membership later this year when it runs out. Hmm...