SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Oil City Pickups: More workshop clearout

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
in Parts £ tFB Trader

Firstly the star of the show ... the serial numbered prototype Oil City Masterwound Double-X tele bridge pickup (see the Made in UK section for the spec)
This was built for promo pictures as the other prototype is in one of my test guitars. New and boxed
£65.00 delivered 

StoneTone Strat set: new and boxed, with your choice of cover colours (cream, ivory or black)
Normal price for set £141.00 plus delivery.
£95.00 delivered ... thats a total Bargain!

Custom Wapping Wharf Tele bridge pickup: all alnico 5 rather than A5/A2 mixed magnets. Ordered by a customer who then changed his mind ... new and boxed
£45.00 delivered

Masterwound Summer of Love 67 Tele neck pickup ... new and boxed
£50.00 delivered

HonkyTonk Angel Tele neck pickup, new and boxed
£45.00 delivered
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Please sir, me sir. Bags the Double-x pickup. How do you want paying?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    Paypal is fine ... I'll PM you :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• If @Roland loses his mind and doesn't buy the Double-X Tele then can I please have second dibs? Failing that, then @Roland, enjoy your new pickup, you lucky, lucky fellow! 
    tFB Trader
    If @Roland loses his mind and doesn't buy the Double-X Tele then can I please have second dibs? Failing that, then @Roland, enjoy your new pickup, you lucky, lucky fellow! 
    @Roland has dropped the pennies with me now ... so that 'Prototype marked' one's gone ... but as it's a Masterwound others of it's breed will be in the Xmas sale ... probably going up on the site on Monday.as they are sooooo new. true they'll be a few quid more ... but not a lot. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    edited December 2018
    Any neck P90s in a humbucker sized shell?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    Actually yes! an alnico 3 Jazz 90 Neck in a black ring/open top cover format ... I forgot to put it up ... 
    Normally £81.00 ... £60 delivered

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Digging the branded bobbins!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Pics of the Stone Tone trio, please.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    If @Roland loses his mind and doesn't buy the Double-X Tele then can I please have second dibs? Failing that, then @Roland, enjoy your new pickup, you lucky, lucky fellow! 
    Looking forward to trying it out. The Alnico combination and the tapped coils idea work so well in the Wapping Wharf that I’d like to try them in neck position too.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Pics of the Stone Tone trio, please.
    I'll take some tomorrow ... but just your regular, flush pole Strat pickups ... and one Strat pickup looks much like another :-)

• ~Hi 
    ~Can I grab the Stone Tone set, please, message sent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How would the wapping compare to a fender broadcaster that is in the 50s Baja?
    tFB Trader
    The Wapping is a hybrid ,,, as in it's got the Broadcaster top end ... but the bass grunt of later Tele pickups ... and that's just in the standard output mode ... you get 15k of added mids and growl when you bring in those extra windings. This particular one has some top sparkle added too. it's a bit of a monster when compared to a standard Tele pickup.

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    edited December 2018
    Ok thanks wasn't aware it's a hybrid. In terms of wiring could it be wired to a position on a four way switch of does it require an independent switch?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Can I grab the Stone Tone set, please, message sent
    @TheGuitarWeasel Cancel the photography. :)

In terms of wiring, could it be wired to a position on a four way switch of does it require an independent switch?
    Either of these approaches would work. 

Given the considerable difference in the two output level modes, I would be inclined to retain the CRL three-way selector switch. Connect the Double-X low output conductor to the selector switch as normal. Connect the high output conductor to a DPDT on/on switch or a push-pull pot configured to also select between the signals from the selector switch and the full output Double-X pickup, respectively. 

On a four-way selector switch, the positions would be; Neck Only, Neck + low output Bridge, low output Bridge Only, high output bridge only.

https://i.imgur.com/gLlZKuR.jpg?1

Chassis side pole (l-r)
    1 Neck PU
    2 Jumper to 3
    3 Jumper from 2 & to second pole terminal 5
    4 Not used
    5 Not used

Open side pole (l-r)
    1 Not used
    2 Bridge PU low output mode conductor &  jumper to 3
    3 Jumper from 2
    4 Bridge PU high output mode conductor
    5 Jumper from chassis side pole terminal 3 & output to volume pot.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the comprehensive description @Funkfingers :+1: 
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    edited December 2018

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest