Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Yeah Dave Navarro blasting through the solo at the end of 3 Days not cool ? Really ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gosh, what constitutes a big name band / artist in time and space? 
    Whilst personally I’m not very excited by PRS the guitarist from Mocca Garden ( everyone’s favourite Taiwanese ska band) usually uses one so that’s a big name in my house. 
    播放ska音樂

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's because you can't clip a tuner to the headstock, so they're always slightly out of tune. ;-)

I've been listening to Alter Bridge a lot recently. Mark Tremonti & Myles Kennedy seem to do OK with their PRSi. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • because they are shit

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6867

Mark looks cool.. even when he designs his Prs to look like ass.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    You seem to be suggesting that there aren't any photos of losers playing Fendsons or Gibners... 
    I made no such statement!

But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. And - like it or not - that is a part of the rock music "thing" for a lot of people. Not saying it's rational, but I'm confident it part of why you don't see so many "famous types" playing 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    Rabs said:

If you find a good Gibson and or Fender you just don't need a PRS   

A modern showcase for F&G guitars..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    edited December 2018
    https://imgur.com/gallery/sQf00E5
    I’ve still not figured out posting pics correctly, but Vernon Reid still kinda counts as cool in my book. 
    I still associate him with Hamers. Guess I'm showing my age and how out of touch I am.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steven Wilson!!!

(although he fell in love with a Telecaster for his last album)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I made no such statement!

But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. And - like it or not - that is a part of the rock music "thing" for a lot of people. Not saying it's rational, but I'm confident it part of why you don't see so many "famous types" playing PRSi
    Wtf .. total crap (and I'm not a PRS fan).

This lady's so cool you'll get an Arctic chill watching the video ...

Mark Tremonti's cool ....

Carlos Santana

John McLaughlin

Some dad rock .. Tom Johnston of the Doobie Brothers ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:

However, I have nothing against PRS owners. In fact I tend to think anyone who owns a PRS must be a pretty good player. Again, not sure why.

My experience of PRS is that they very much play themselves. Although I say so myself I think I sound OK on one. Maybe you are just hearing that effect.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • If PRS guitars sell (to anyone other than dentists) but the "obvious" rock stars aren't using them, how about considering the session players, those in professional and semi-professional function bands etc who just want a well behaved reliable and functional instrument, who know they get paid more for what they play than the image their instrument conjures up?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14176
    tFB Trader
    There are plenty of serious players who use them; Carlos Santana, Dave Grissom, John Mayer, et al. 

PRS himself sees their lack of history as their biggest problem. Players ape their heroes - Gilmour and Knopfler were fans of Hank Marvin - so they both wanted Strats. That’s never going to change. 
    This is so true - I've been at dealer days and spoke to Paul about this and he accepted that none of his guitars can be found, heard or played at Woodstock, all the early influential albums, by any of the influential pioneers - Yet many top players like Steve Vai, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page  have owned a PRS, but very rarely do you see them in action with such a guitar

No specific reason as to why they jut don't get the a claim they deserve from our hero's - Yet equally you see so many PRS Guitars played by the 'session players'
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader

Even Gary Moore went there...  Once   :P  (and judging by his coat it was a very traumatic experience for him ;) )

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22708
    Maynehead said:

However, I have nothing against PRS owners. In fact I tend to think anyone who owns a PRS must be a pretty good player. Again, not sure why.

My experience of PRS is that they very much play themselves. Although I say so myself I think I sound OK on one. Maybe you are just hearing that effect.
    Fucking hell, I wish mine did.

And although I own several I am definitely not a pretty good player.  :(
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    The reason I bought a PRS 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    https://imgur.com/gallery/sQf00E5
    I’ve still not figured out posting pics correctly, but Vernon Reid still kinda counts as cool in my book. 
    PRS: what's your favourite colour Vernon?

Vernon: er,...

...gold.
  • stonevibe said:
    The reason I bought a PRS 

A crossdresser in light blue pvc?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Was trying to post a photo of Carlos Santana in response to the "no one has looked cool playing a PRS" comment but posting to this forum from a mobile is abysmal!

There was no way to insert the image - it requires pressing return but on the phone browser that action just posts the comment without the image being inserted. Also, how annoying is it that if you press backspace it goes in to the quote field and it's impossible to get back out?

Re: the OP question - I think it's the combination of the old legends playing either Fender or Gibson together with the fact that Fender offer endorsement deals of varying value to anyone who's ever been on TV with a guitar right up to the all time greats of music.
  • My guess us that the people slagging off PRS guitars have never played one.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom