Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• Incidentally, this "image is everything" mentality isn't anything new, nor is it restricted to rock or indie acts. Many years ago a mate of mine was told he wasn't getting to join a jazz quartet he'd auditioned for because he played a strat. They eventually relented after much grumbling when they hit on the compromise of allowing him to play a 335, but they weren't happy and constantly moaned at him to get a "proper" Gibson.

Funnily enough, you couldn't give Les Pauls away in the 80s until Slash made them acceptable again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just remembered: saw Wishbone Ash in latter-day reformation of the original line up - and both messrs Powell and turner were playing PRSs. Probably at the Civic Hall Guildford, but wouldn't like to swear to it. Would have been early - mid 1980s?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I honestly think elitism is part of why rock/metal eventually lost mainstream relevance.  Seems to have been a thing for generations that anyone into metal, punk, heavier rock etc has a habit of defining itself against the other, which inevitably leads to alienating the next generation because their music doesn't fit their definition of 'cool'.

Well, now most guitar music isn't cool outside of guitarist circles.  And musical tribalism is kind of pointless these days because everyone pays the same Spotify subscription price and everyone gets to listen to whatever they want for the same price... not like back when you literally bought in to a genre in order to listen to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I have no problem with the look or feel of PRS guitars.  I just don't like the pickups.  I have 6 different PRS electrics plus a SE Angelus.  However all of them have after market pickups, including my ME II, which was supposed to have some  of the best PRS pickups.  Once I change the pickups on them, I like the sound of them.  I have a lot of other guitars to compare them with, including 50's and 60's Gibsons and Fenders.  They all have their own things going.  I wouldn't have the same issue playing out with a PRS that I would with a 50's Les Paul or Strat, that was part of the reason that I got one in the first place.  
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited December 2018
    Not sure if mentioned already but a lot of footage of Alex Lifeson using a prs. 
  • If there's one thing PRS - the man and the product - succeeds at, without fail, it's splitting opinion. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited December 2018
    I'm an idiot.

I WANT to own another PRS, but it's just finding the right one for me, y'know? The biggest reason I don't right now is because, to me, they come off as flashy in the wrong way. Like, my Neon Purple RG550 is flashy, but in a stupid way, so I like it. Where as a PRS  just seems to be flashy in a blingy way... I've seen a few I like, but a whole lot more I don't (but to be fair, I feel the same about Gibson).

I'd never bash anyone else for wanting & loving something I didn't, though... Unless that thing was Take That, and that person was my partner.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    PRS himself sees their lack of history as their biggest problem. Players ape their heroes - Gilmour and Knopfler were fans of Hank Marvin - so they both wanted Strats. That’s never going to change. 
    This is true, but I didn't even know what guitars were used on the music I liked when I was growing up. When I started paying attention, I noticed they were mostly Fender and Gibson, and even today most of what I like use these same instruments, so I guess I must like the sound of them.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I've just remembered: saw Wishbone Ash in latter-day reformation of the original line up - and both messrs Powell and turner were playing PRSs. Probably at the Civic Hall Guildford, but wouldn't like to swear to it. Would have been early - mid 1980s?
    Probably more like late '80s, early '90s I think, Phil.  Here's the Bristol concert from 1989, they're both playing PRS guitars on Blind Eye, around the 36'00" mark.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Freebird said:
    PRS himself sees their lack of history as their biggest problem. Players ape their heroes - Gilmour and Knopfler were fans of Hank Marvin - so they both wanted Strats. That’s never going to change. 
    This is true, but I didn't even know what guitars were used on the music I liked when I was growing up. When I started paying attention, I noticed they were mostly Fender and Gibson, and even today most of what I like use these same instruments. I guess I must like the sound of them.
    Almost all my favourite guitarists over the years, or at least the majority, seem to play Strats yet I like playing guitars with humbuckers just as much as I like playing Strats.

I do wonder if it's a coincidence or if I prefer the sound of a Strat when it's in a proper mixed production and played by a top player.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2018
     If I look at my favourite albums ever. Then PRS don’t figure much. It’s a mix of the usual suspects Telecasters, Les Pauls, Strats, Hamer, ES335’s and a Yamaha SG1000. 

But then if I think about my favourite albums of say, the last 15 years. Then it’s bands that use PRS Custom’s, CE’s, Tremonti’s and a bit of Les Paul. 

I like plurality of thought & tbh if they aren’t cool. That’s keeping them under valued on the used market. Which suits me. A bit like the Ibanez RG. I think that’s the other classic design of the 1980’s. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:
    Almost all my favourite guitarists over the years, or at least the majority, seem to play Strats yet I like playing guitars with humbuckers just as much as I like playing Strats.

I do wonder if it's a coincidence or if I prefer the sound of a Strat when it's in a proper mixed production and played by a top player.
    It's a weird one isn't it. Some of my favourite tones and guitarists used strats and I think one of the best recorded tones of all time is Hendrix - Voodoo Child. It's so raw and powerful. But I'll be fucked if I can ever get a strat sounding that good. Usually just sounds thin and weedy and I generally get hand cramps on anything other than a Gibson scale length neck, not sure why. My compromise would be P90s in a Gibson Junior style, which I can get away with for those singlecoil tones but still have enough thickness to not sound shit.

And despite my love of Hendrix and Gallagher, I still find strats incredibly dull guitars to look at. It's like the bog standard, default guitar.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    jimmy page used one for a few gigs ..
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    So much hatred.

So much jealousy.

So much bollocks.

I own two PRS guitars. I’m not a dentist, I live very much Hans to mouth as I’m back working in the MI.

You don’t like them? Fine. Don’t care. It’s your opinion, not a “fact”. 

For the record, both of mine sound better than their equivalent guitars from Gibson or Fender (in my opinion), play1000 times better (in my opinion - after spending hours in Coda comparing CS Strats, I bought the PRS 305 for example) and were cheaper too. Both my us built PRS guitars cost less than one of those fuck-horrible looking cheap R8s that you all seem to fawn over.

Are PRS cool? To me, yes because they inspire ME to play. Am I bothered by the fact that other bands don’t use them - no, in fact I’m glad because I’m not into copying others or following the herd like sheeple.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    timmysoft said:
    PRS do a lot more than just making expensive toys for dentists and consultants.

the genres that I tend to like embrace the PRS and you’re just as likely to see one as a Gibson or Fender. You’ll also see other cool brands like Charvel, ESP, Musicman and Ibanez. 

Seems like a few people on here are old.
    Yeah, that's exactly it. What do us old uns know?

But hey, if your young idols of today like Justin Bieber are inspiring you to play a lovely PRS, then don't let anyone tell you it's a bad thing.

Now, I'm off to have an Ovaltine then piss myself.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chocolate Ovaltine is nice
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    jeztone2 said:
     If I look at my favourite albums ever. Then PRS don’t figure much. 

I honestly have no idea what guitars are on my favourite albums. To me that seems like worrying about what toothpaste they used, or what the person who made the mixing desk had for breakfast. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    edited December 2018
    impmann said:
    So much hatred.

So much jealousy.

So much bollocks.

I own two PRS guitars. I’m not a dentist, I live very much Hans to mouth as I’m back working in the MI.

You don’t like them? Fine. Don’t care. It’s your opinion, not a “fact”. 

For the record, both of mine sound better than their equivalent guitars from Gibson or Fender (in my opinion), play1000 times better (in my opinion - after spending hours in Coda comparing CS Strats, I bought the PRS 305 for example) and were cheaper too. Both my us built PRS guitars cost less than one of those fuck-horrible looking cheap R8s that you all seem to fawn over.

Are PRS cool? To me, yes because they inspire ME to play. Am I bothered by the fact that other bands don’t use them - no, in fact I’m glad because I’m not into copying others or following the herd like sheeple.

Says the man who writes "one of those fuck-horrible looking cheap R8's....." which sounds pretty much like hatey bollocks an all.

It's all just banter and opinions, they're entitled to theirs and you're entitled to yours. You might be wrong but you're welcome to express it. 

The birds are a massive put off for me, love the GT DGT with moons but that's probably it. The others I've played have been kind of dull, but I've not played a lot because they don't appeal to me as they look too ostentatious, I'm not keen on over flamey 59s either. Played an S2 and was kind of tempted but it looked a bit naff so I didn't. Birds suck..... and that's not jealously, I could afford a DGT or similar. They just don't appeal, and the icing on the cake is that Paul himself is a Doyle an all. Then again that's just an opinion too.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    impmann said:
    So much hatred.

So much jealousy.

So much bollocks.

Initially I thought you were referring to previous posts. But actually, it seems like it was just an introduction to your post?

Why the seething, frothing rage frenzy? They're just guitars...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the wonderful thing about everyone having equaly valid subjective personal preferences...

Hilarious internet threads!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom