Taylor 814 opinions and 2nd hand price check

What's Hot
Hey folks,

Does anyone on here have a 814 - have you played anything better/you prefer?

What is the going rate on a second hand one?

I checked one out recently and it was head and shoulders above the Martin I was interested in. Shame it was also a grand more new. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AxealAxeal Frets: 18
    Nik -I had a 912C, the build quality, and playabillity was top drawer - no question about that, but I found the sound rather top end heavy and lacking in bass and mids. As far as re-sale value, I can tell you there was very little interest. I suspect there is a big difference btw what dealers and private sellers are asking, and the actual price paid. Personally, I would stick to the small scale luthiers, and try and bag one second hand. All the best, Alan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Cheers @Axeal any recommendations on small scale luthiers to look out for? 

Might try a 414 and see if it has similar playability at a more accessible price 
  • I've seen 814ce models (with the ES1 pickup system) at around £1600 to £1800 for a private sale.  Can be a fair bit more at dealers (probably around £2200 to £2300 or so).
    The ES2 equipped models go for more.
    And the V class models are quite new - so not many of those on the second hand market. Hence, dealers are asking more for those.

If you don't want a cutaway, that reduces the price a bit... and if you don't want a pickup that cuts the price a bit too.

Small scale luthiers can be great - but not everything they produce is wonderful.  Also, if you buy new, the resale value for some can be a bit of a shock.  That said, you can lose a chunk on a Taylor (if you buy it new)... especially for some of the less popular models (that said, the 814ce appears to be one of their most popular models).
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I have a '12 814ce, with the last version of the ES1. It's a nice guitar, in that the build and playability are excellent, and it's a really good gigging guitar with the cutaway and it hangs nicely on a strap. I like the body size and shape, and it's noticeably more resonant and louder than the 314ce I had before it. I agree, used asking prices seem to be £1600 to £1800, but I suspect they might go for a bit less. I also have a Martin D28 and an OM28V, and they are both richer sounding guitars, particularly the OM, but the Taylor, even though it's brighter and slightly more sterile sounding gets played more for some reason. One more point; the newer ES2 is reputed to be more natural sounding, and works properly with an unbalanced cable. The older ES1 is a bit more "electric" sounding, and the level will be lower unless you use a balanced cable. I don't mind the ES1, (I have the later version which is supposed to be better), but it does have its faults. However, I recently had a conversation with a retailer who told me the only people who really like the newer ES2 are Taylor themselves, so i guess you just have to try for yourself.

edited December 2018
    Thanks @Misty how do you find the switch between the Martin and Taylor? My impression was the frets are larger and the playability better in the Taylor.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited December 2018
    Ive owned several Taylors, and a few custom luthier models... imho, you always lose more money on lesser known luthiers.

Taylors all have that Taylor sound and if you are a fan, it is quite usable and reliable. I find that they are very consistent amplified. Our singer has a £600 E12 (I think) recent model and it sound remarkably good through the PA...

For pure acoustic sounds (i.e. un miked) there are better guitars but always at a price. I currently have an Atkin J43 and personally Ive never heard a better guitar acoustically. But how I wish it had an in built system (i.e. expression system) ! I wish I knew someone whi could fit say an LR Baggs to mine...

So, in summary, the 8 series Taylors are very good indeed. I toured with one in Europe and it was rock solid
  • I think the Atkin has to be tried.  They are remarkable guitars.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I have a “Fall Ltd 2004” 414CE , which has the Indian Rosewood back and sides and Sitka Spruce top of the 814 but without the added bling (no gold machine heads/abalone inlay/plain dot markers)  .

I’ve seen them come up on Reverb for circa £1500 which is a lot of guitar for the money ! 
  • The Fall Ltds are THE best Taylor’s imho
    What is the significance of the fall specials? A limited run every year?
  • Elwood said:
    What is the significance of the fall specials? A limited run every year?
    Yes, hand picked woods and tested by Bob Taylor- I had a 614ce Ltd and it was a superb geetar
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Elwood said:
    Thanks @Misty how do you find the switch between the Martin and Taylor? My impression was the frets are larger and the playability better in the Taylor.
    Well they are different in that the Taylor and the OM are wider at the nut than the D28, so they're better for picking, and the OM has wider string spacing at the bridge, 59mm as opposed to 55mm for the Taylor, and has a shallow V profile neck. Overall, the playability on my Taylor is a bit more immediately friendly than the Martins, but the two Martins are still good, both are set up to play really well. I've just looked at the frets on all three, and they're quite similar, though maybe yes, the Taylor's are marginally bigger. I've had the OM's frets levelled so there would be a difference anyway. Generally, Taylors are well set up out of the box, while Martins often need a bit of setting up to start with. Having said that, I've tried a few newer Taylors which needed a bit of tweaking, so you really have to go out and play some to see what suits you. Good luck!

• fatherchewielewiefatherchewielewie Frets: 46
    edited December 2018
    I have a GA8/814 and it has settled down to become my favourite acoustic, especially with EJ16s. I've played Martins, Larrys, Faiths Yammies, Eastmans, Furch/Stonebridge and Guilds, that I really, really liked but that GA8 is alive. Bron Yr Aur on it give me the chills. Also have a GA3/314 that I love nearly as much. I know. I was really glad I sprung for those guitars before the crazy prices rises kicked in. I also know for sure that I wouldn't consider any acoustic that didn't have a1 3/4" nut width and flatter radius. Taylors are mostly 15". Those Taylor necks...... love em.

The closest to Taylor style necks and tone that I've played are the Furch/Stonebridges. I have a G20CM full shoulder which is a fantastic Cedar/Hog GA and I also had a slot-head Furch Spruce/RW OM. If you decide to have a look at them, I'd be wary about where I buy it from. I got mine from Stage Shop in Hungary for a great price. I think too that there's a Furch/Stonebridge dealer in Scotland.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have a GA8/814 and it has settled down to become my favourite acoustic, especially with EJ16s. I've played Martins, Larrys, Faiths Yammies, Eastmans, Furch/Stonebridge and Guilds, that I really, really liked but that GA8 is alive. Bron Yr Aur on it give me the chills. Also have a GA3/314 that I love nearly as much. I know. I was really glad I sprung for those guitars before the crazy prices rises kicked in. I also know for sure that I wouldn't consider any acoustic that didn't have a1 3/4" nut width and flatter radius. Taylors are mostly 15". Those Taylor necks...... love em.

The closest to Taylor style necks and tone that I've played are the Furch/Stonebridges. I have a G20CM full shoulder which is a fantastic Cedar/Hog GA and I also had a slot-head Furch Spruce/RW OM. If you decide to have a look at them, I'd be wary about where I buy it from. I got mine from Stage Shop in Hungary for a great price. I think too that there's a Furch/Stonebridge in Scotland.
    Bron Yr Aur is a fantastic acoustic song (as is any of Led Zeppelins acoustic stuff). The Detectorists theme tune is also a great acoustic number, well worth checking out.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited December 2018
    As a note, I have a 2004 414CE which has been a great guitar for both recording and live stuff....but...be aware if the old 2 battery expression system fails...its a £300 repair to fit the new one, the old ones are obsolete, so if you buy a Taylor with the old systems make sure it works !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Good advice folks. Particularly the note on the expression system. That's a fair chunk of change.

The fall editions looks nice but really ramp the price.

Lots to think about.
  • I got both my Taylors and my Furch sans pickup/preamp. I had the ES system on a 618 and I didn't think it was that great; good but certainly not 300 sheets great. I installed clones of the Pure Western Mini from JJB (http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html) in all three of my acoustics and used a Headway preamp outboard. I was much happier with that setup. Installing the JJB wasn't difficult either.

• zepp76 said:
    Bron Yr Aur is a fantastic acoustic song (as is any of Led Zeppelins acoustic stuff). The Detectorists theme tune is also a great acoustic number, well worth checking out.
    Cheers for the recommendation, Zepp....... really enjoyed that; going to give it a go myself...... really cool vibe off it:)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I bought an 814CE secondhand many years ago. Very nice guitar indeed. I went to Guitar village and tried everything that I could afford, which was around £1.5k. I then tried a new 814 that was there and it was (more expensive!) but better than everything that I had tried. I remembered that they had a secondhand one in Coda so I went to try that, liked it and bought it. 

Is it a keeper? Well initially I thought no in that it is fun to swap guitars around after a few years, but my youngest knocked it over and damaged the headstock join (Doh!). I had this bad habit at the time of slinging it back into the case and only doing one catch up, so it wasn't as secure as it should be. I got Feline to fix it and it has been fine ever since, but I'd obviously take a hit if I sold it on so it's staying. 
  • I have an 814 made in 1998 so pre all the new fangled Taylor stuff. It has aged brilliantly and sounds and plays wonderfully. It is also quite stable physically. If you ever see one for sale,grab it. I certainly love mine.