Quick neck finish opinions sought...

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
I think ive sorted my fretting snafu. Its far from perfect, but it should work.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on neck finishing? Im going with oil and the choice is eiher Danish Oil or Tru-Oil. Ive used both and am happy with either.

Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited December 2018
    I like Tru-oil, only a couple of coats for me.  I know this presents a "will the neck twist if it's not clearcoated?" dilemma but I like it enough to take the risk.

I use Danish oil on furniture projects quite a bit, but have never used it on a guitar.  I would think it'd be more similar than it'd be different, if you see what I mean...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Gunstock oil for me, as used by Musicman 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    I think Danish is more penetrating, and Tru shinier and thinner. Tru oil probably dries quicker too.

How do you apply it? Very thin coat with cloth, leave 12 hrs and repeat?

Adam
  • Get a tint built in with OSMO oil - you can get a couple of samples on amazon for peanuts
    I have Osmo also (satin and gloss) - thought it might take longer to dry.
    Cheers for the suggestion though, as i had forgotten about it!

Adam
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I’ve found that OSMO surface dries faster than Tru-Oil. I’ve even been able to recoat within 2 hours. It also produces a harder surface once it’s fully dried.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Interesting - its been a while since i used it. How would you apply the Osmo then? Thickish coat wiped on, left a couple of minutes and wiped off? Cotton cloth or kitchen paper?
    Or wiped on thinly, as you would Tru Oil?
    Cheers
    Adam
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I use a square of an old cotton sheet because it follows the curve more easily than kitchen paper, and is less likely to leave fragments in the finish. I spread the Osmo as thinly as I would with Tru-Oil. Since it dries more quickly you can re-coat sooner, and build up the finish more easily. I wear thin plastic gloves to stop my fingers getting sticky. After each coat you can turn the glove inside out, with the cloth inside, and it doesn’t dry out between coats. I only use three or four coats on my necks, so it’s done inside a day and dries sufficiently overnight that you can assemble the guitar the folllowing day. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thats great, much appreciated advice :)

Adam
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    does it matter (having used no-name furniture oil and found it lasting very well - always with a wax coat though)?

It matters inasmuch as i want to use something that will give a predictable result. No name furniture oil may work very well indeed, but it may also dry fairly 'sticky' or not at all, and i try to use something that im confident will work.
    But in essence, it probably doesnt matter too much.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Okay, a very brief post after the necks have received their first coat of Osmo. 
    The fretlevelling went better than i thought, but ends still a little 'catchy'.
    The blue of the bass neck doesnt work as well as i thought it would, but it's for an 8 yr old so will be fine :)

https://i.imgur.com/1Vcfqt7.jpg

Nice ripple in the maple, and though the heel hasn't stacked perfectly, the padauk stripes line up not too shabbily.

Apologies if image doesnt load - posting this from my mobile.

Cheers,
    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2018
    I like the blue best of all.      Lucky lad.