Tune-o-matic to wraparound - quite simple or what?

Hi,

I have always wondered, if you have one of these Les Paul Juniors or Specials with tune-o-matic bridges and want a wraparound bridge, isn't it as simple as just filling the holes for the stoptail and enlargening the holes for the bridge itself (in this case, ABR-1)? Whether it will look amazing is another story, I'm just talking about functionality. Has anyone ever done this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• From memory, TOM bridges (like ABR-1) have their posts on 74mm centres whereas wraparounds are further apart (82mm?) So I think the holes for the bushes might be about be the right size (often 11mm drill) but just not far enough apart - so it's not just a case of enlarging the holes, you have to plug and re-drill to move them.

Check the bridge height too, though I think they're usually broadly similar at about 13mm fully 'down'.

There are plenty of drawings for both types on Google - search for e.g. "tune-o-matic bridge dimensions" or "wraparound bridge dimension"
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    Just looking at a tune-o-matic bridge it seems like you are correct indeed. However, would the angle still be correct so that the existing ABR-1 holes could just merge with the larger holes for the wraparound studs? Not that there should be any issues plugging ABR-1 holes as they are really small, but it would be great if it could be avoided. 
  • Not sure what you mean by 'merge'. The holes in the ABR-1 bridge itself are quite small, but the holes drilled in the wood - to take the threaded bushes for the bridge posts - are around 11-12mm diameter, as are the new holes for the wraparound. The locations of the new holes would overlap the originals, so you'd have to plug them with (e.g.) half-inch dowel or similar, and re-drill. Hope that makes sense.
  • philballardphilballard Frets: 14
    edited December 2018
    Funnily enough, I was drilling for wraparound studs today on my LP Junior build. You can see the size of the stud holes - and they'd be similar for the ABR-1:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/313492824060145737#
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    Overlap is the right word, if the new holes for the wraparound would overlap the original ABR-1 holes is what I meant to ask! Sorry about that, English is not my first language. From what I understand they will overlap, but why would I have to plug them first? To be honest I don't think I want or should do it myself anyway, but from what you have said it doesn't sound like a massive amount of work for any skilled luthier. Thanks for clearing that up! 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Wraparound bushes i use are 13mm, they take a bit a messing around to get them set up before drilling

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)