Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SPOTY AWARD

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
in Off Topic tFB Trader
So less than a week to go for the SPOTY award

A short list to be made available on the night and voted for live during the show

Surely Geraint is going to win it - I can see Lewis getting in the top 3, but surely Gee will win - Hope so

Interesting vote options for the Greatest Moment of the Year - I favour the netball girls for this

Coach award to G Southgate
Team award to the Netball team
World Vote and I can't get excited by either options

Life Time Achievment award - is it to early to give it to A Cook
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

Rocket Ronnie !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/46504428

World Sport Star - Simone Biles

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Paul_C said:

World Sport Star - Simone Biles

my daughter agrees with that

• Surely Geraint is going to win it - I can see Lewis getting in the top 3, but surely Gee will win - Hope so

Yep G for the win, not just for the achievement, but for actually having a personality.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Surely Geraint is going to win it - I can see Lewis getting in the top 3, but surely Gee will win - Hope so

Yep G for the win, not just for the achievement, but for actually having a personality.
    The bookies have Kane's odds shortening ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    The bookies have Kane's odds shortening ....
    I never even thought that Kane would be even in with a shout - certainly not the top 3 IMO - No goal in open play once we got to the KO Stages so hardly truly inspirational
  • Steve Smith.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I put a fiver on Geraint during the TDF, so hopefully he wins it.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Coach of the year to Tyson Furys trainer, how did he got Fury to lose 10 stone and build up the mental strength following his depression is a story worth hearing (regardless of the fact he is a bit of a twat)

Cookie is a good shout for life time achievement, feel its premature though, he needs to be doing coaching for a few years to say its a lifetime.  Andrew Straus would have a better shout, opening batsman, test captain and chariman of selectors.That is a lifetime worth of cricket.
  • G for the win.
    No one else has achieved what he hasays done, especially when you consider his back story,  injuries etc.
  • Tyson Fury for me. Granted he has done some twatty things in the past but how he has come back from what he has is incredible. He showed dignity despite being totally robbed last week and if the rumours are true he is giving a lot of his purse to homeless and mental health charities too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited December 2018
    Mark_R said:
    Coach of the year to Tyson Furys trainer, how did he got Fury to lose 10 stone and build up the mental strength following his depression is a story worth hearing (regardless of the fact he is a bit of a twat)

Cookie is a good shout for life time achievement, feel its premature though, he needs to be doing coaching for a few years to say its a lifetime.  Andrew Straus would have a better shout, opening batsman, test captain and chariman of selectors.That is a lifetime worth of cricket.

Cook is still playing on for Essex.  Would be better to wait until he's retired.  If he carries on as long as Gooch or Trescothick, he has a chance at 100 first class centuries, which would be an incredible achievement in this day and age.  There is also a very small chance that he could come back for next year's Ashes.  I'm pretty sure he won't, but Jennings and Burns haven't set the world on fire, and there don't appear to be any other competent English openers.  If they begged him to come back, then I'm only 99% certain he would refuse.

Given that Strauss is the architect of "The 100", he shouldn't be getting any awards, unless they come up with an award for stupidest idea.  Make the prize a custard pie in the face, or if you want to be really cruel, an evening with Piers Morgan.

For me, the main award should be Geraint Thomas, but there is no guarantee it will be.

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Tyson Fury for me. Granted he has done some twatty things in the past but how he has come back from what he has is incredible. He showed dignity despite being totally robbed last week and if the rumours are true he is giving a lot of his purse to homeless and mental health charities too.
    ^^^ This
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    edited December 2018
    Left field suggestion from me, Raheem Sterling.

I am not a Guardiola City fan, and yes I will admit to being one of the people who slagged him off during the World Cup for not scoring enough and not doing enough when he doesn't have the ball.

But with the outcry over being attacked by racists, and raising the issue in general, I wouldn't put it beyond all reason for him to win it. I know he has suffered from it, and in any case racism is wrong as an absolute, and I am sure that the timing is nothing more than a reaction to the stupid fans when City played Chelsea, but the fact remains that the issue has has been raised now, whilst voting is going on.

I would rather he won it because he scored a bagful of goals in Russia, and set up another half-a-dozen, but I am not sure all of the people who vote for SPOTY do for genuinely sporting reasons, and being in the press for the racism incidents won't do him any harm whatsoever.

I don't mean for this to sound cynical, or in any way condoning what has happened to him. I abhor racism and want to see it ended, as I'm sure do all right thinking people. I just wonder if it will have an effect on the voting.

If you want my vote, I will say Harry Kane - he did win the Golden Boot in Russia.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3007
    Harry Kane - won the golden boot and was part of a revitalised English squad with the best performance for 28 years. Gazza won it in 1990.

Tyson Fury a good e/w bet. To lose 10st and perform like that is unheard of. A momentous achievement 

Lester Piggott for Lifetime Achievers award, he's not been well recently, maybe Kenny Dalglish who was recently knighted
  • Jonathan Rea. Most successful WSBK rider we have ever had. Just won another world championship. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Jonathan Rea. Most successful WSBK rider we have ever had. Just won another world championship. 
    What's WSBK?  Who is Jonathan Rea?
  • Geraint Thomas please not another overpaid  f***ing  Wendyballer!
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Jonathan Rea. Most successful WSBK rider we have ever had. Just won another world championship. 
    Top shout out
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Personally I think that the programme is a steaming pile of ****, but having said that, for the first time ever I feel like voting - for Geraint of course!

Personally I think that they should have separate men and women's top award - not that I actually care!
  • My vote would be 100% for Lewis Hamilton. 5 x World Champion, arguably becoming the greatest British driver in motorsport history. He just seems to be getting better and better year on year, I think this season has been the most impressive and dominant of his career, despite not having the best car on the grid for much of the campaign. Completely different class.

Geraint Thomas would be a strong 2nd place, and can't think of too many others that have really excelled on the global stage to anything like the same level as Hamilton and Thomas.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom