Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What sort of video content would you want?

What's Hot
So, I've not cleared this with @Digitalscream. So he might just delete it and ban me immediately after, and then block my phone number after I spam him with numerous phone calls at 3am. But I digress...

Say the Fretboard was going to have a Youtube channel. What kind of content would you want to see? 

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd quite like to see:
    • Gear demos
    • Featuring a new fretboard guest every week alongside the host, (fretboard guest could bring a few pieces of their gear to demo so not only do they get a chance at fame and fortune, and experience working with a pro, that's how we get loads of different gear reviewed)
    • Max 10mins clips
    Obvs a bit tricky to coordinate / not everyone is good on camera etc, but it might work and be an interesting and unique approach.  :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    FB user demos, it’s always nice to put a face to a name, Obviously quality will be very variable, especially if I do any. Klang!!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    “The Fret Board”

A panel of prominent fretboarders give their views on gear, playing, players, the future of guitar etc.

Sort of “Alan Davies As Yet Untitled” but prob with more swearing and more rudeness I expect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Vlogs of Fretboarder gigs and sessions.. seeing great gear being used in the wild. Stuff from the jams too. Educational real world stuff. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Prob a minority but I really liked your mix walkthroughs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Don't forget about us acoustic players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Good editing.
    Too many YouTube videos is endless waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • The possibilities seem boundless. It would be good to see some builders, repairers, refinishers at work.
    Some non-professionals probably have some great practical ideas to share, including recording, live sound mixing.
    Some teachers might like to show technical playing stuff (without killing their business...)
    People might even like to talk about how & why they got into playing & how it changed their lives.
    I appreciate it couldn't all happen at once & would need to be split into sub sections (sorry, "curated")

& of course we could have forum cat videos.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited December 2018

This is most certainly a dog forum.
  • Need to think about the audience.  We have very different levels of ability here so content has to reflect that.  If its all super widdly technical stuff it will put some people off, similarly if its all to simples others won't bother.  That said, Id like to see some basic Theory bits.   Song breakdowns and how to play  (does that cause rights issues?)  Gear set-up and basic repairs.  Truss rod adjustment.   Pedal board set- up and how to get the tones.  I can see that interviews are appealing but its going to be a logistical and costly exercise to actually do that and could be a pain in the backside to commit to a regular interview.  Oh and I have more than enough cats here at home.  I dont need to see them in this place.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited December 2018
    The @RandallFlagg Comedy Showcase - might be one of the shorter videos.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited December 2018
    Videos of forum members playing stuff.

It's been good to see videos posted by @Modellista and @fastonebaz as a part of the "Solo of the Month" challenge.

Perhaps a video replacement for some of the challenges I've been running. Although the Solo of the Month challenge is still going strong, there's a waning interest in some of the challenges I've been running (i.e. Riff of the Month, Raw Riff of the Month and Bass Riff of the Month), and I think it probably best to retire some them in the new year. Maybe replace them with a single "Video of the month challenge", where members can post whatever original playing example they wish, which is then voted and commented on.

There's already a "Post videos of your band here" thread. Perhaps those types of video could be collated on a Youtube channel.

It's not a competition.
  • octatonic said:

This is most certainly a dog forum.
    The cat currently sitting *in* my christmas tree begs to disagree.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited December 2018
    The @RandallFlagg Comedy Showcase - might be one of the shorter videos.....
    As I tell my wife, it's not the length that's important just focus on the quality of the content

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    edited December 2018
    As for content, short review/demos might be nice. There are loads of channels reviewing new gear all the time, which is lovely, but usually designed to show versatility of gear more than anything else, and often boil down to 25 minutes of "come and buy this pedal from us"

It might be good to have demos more on a theme of "I've had this guitar/pedal/amp for 6 months and this is how I use it" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I think a weekly readers wives video would be great...

Damn, sorry, wrong forum.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think a weekly readers wives video would be great...

Damn, sorry, wrong forum.
    Fretters wives?  More like fretting wives if mine is anything to go by..... will he buy another guitar, surely he's got enough amps by now, when will he be home instead of gigging for a change,  think of the children will somebody please think of the children
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A fretboarders rig run down to show real world usage of their pedals and equipment etc.   This could be quite useful as we're all chasing tone and if difficult to five that from a single pedal review but a review in the context of a player's normal rig... that could be useful. 
  • The @RandallFlagg Comedy Showcase - might be one of the shorter videos.....
    ...surely a two hour vlog of Randall explaining the difference between soup and stew. 

It might be good to have demos more on a theme of "I've had this guitar/pedal/amp for 6 months and this is how I use it" 
    Most YouTube reviews are of gear fresh out the box and pretty much advertising and not enough of this ^ but also need to bear in mind this: 
    octatonic said:
    Good editing.
    Too many YouTube videos is endless waffle.
    ...although I guess that’s why they’ll go via WDD rather than being posted direct. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    I'm probably not the target market, so I'll just say keep the intro short. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom