Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What sort of video content would you want?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    I'm probably not the target market, so I'll just say keep the intro short. 

Is that your usual chat-up line, Sporky?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Agree with the no long intros, and editing out waffle.

Not just pointless widdling.  Not sure if there would be copyright problems, but video of things everyone knows so they have some kind of point of reference would be good.  If I hear the intro to All right now as an example, I've got something to compare to.  Someone widdling away like Malmsteen and showing off their speed is a total waste of time.

The no pointless widdling applies even more to bass stuff if we do any.  99% of bass videos on Youtube are full of slap.  I want to hear what it sounds like when you chug along on 8th notes as that is how I'm likely to use it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No one ever saying 'Hi Guys!'.
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    Sporky said:
    I'm probably not the target market, so I'll just say keep the intro short. 

Is that your usual chat-up line, Sporky?
    Are you asking?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    will you be inclined to edit and polish videos captured on phones by forumites?
  • will you be inclined to edit and polish videos captured on phones by forumites?
    Honestly... seems doubtful right now. I think the quality would vary too much, and what I think we want to achieve is something with a fair amount of consistency and branding.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    I think some fairly short "workflow" type stuff might be interesting. Somehow without being too specific to any one DAW, something about good ways to set up tracks and suchlike to enable one to get on with recording without excessive faff.

I am not sure I have explained that at all well. But I know I'm more inclined to watch four 5-minute videos than one 20-minute one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    edited December 2018
    Honestly... seems doubtful right now. I think the quality would vary too much, and what I think we want to achieve is something with a fair amount of consistency and branding.
    This. When you watch videos from Andertons, TPS or whoever the production is constant and so you can rely on what you know/have heard before from them as a basis for comparison. Can't do that if we're posting videos from 20 different people in 20 different rooms with 20 different setups.

That's not to say that we couldn't do it in the future - once the main channel's established, we could have a second channel for less formal content (a lot of YouTubers do that).
    <space for hire>
  • octatonic said:

& of course we could have forum cat videos.
    This is most certainly a dog forum.
    The cat currently sitting *in* my christmas tree begs to disagree.

Need photos.
    This was last year..

This was this year, the day it went up...

And last night there was a bauble on the floor and a conspicuous cat-sized hole at roughly head-height...

[/thread derail]
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    What are peoples thoughts on YouTube advertising as a way of funding the forum and channel?
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    Let the gear do the talking as it were. Maybe have an intro page with the specs as credits and a spoken conclusion at the end.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31573
    This could be a big issue. Decent production values are essential to survival IMO, it's really hard work wading through bad phone videos when you're looking to buy a particular piece of equipment for example.

The problem is though that it could end up that the only contributors are from an exclusive little club centred around in one part of the country. There's nothing wrong with that per se if the content is good, but it could be hard to sustain that as a video channel for this particular forum, rather than as just another YouTube guitar channel. 

I think to maintain interest in a YouTube channel on the parent forum there HAS to be a slot, however small, for us provincial Fretboard correspondents to contribute something, if only to make it feel inclusive to all. 

I can think of a few regular members on here who have a favourite guitar or amp I find interesting, or an outlook on how they use a particular piece of gear in their own band for example. 

I don't think it would hurt to have a slightly amateurish (and heavily edited if necessary) two-minute slot for someone outside the regular production team to have an input on say, a current forum hot topic, a technique tip or even just a Forumite's New Guitar Day feature. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• This was last year..

Cute cat.  Sorry for derail!
  • I'm looking forward to seeing something really professional and polished. Whatever the content, I'm sure it'll meet with significant interest. 

Well within the remit of the protagonists. 

• Bear in mind as Lee said ... this isn't *just* for the forum. It's branching out from the forum and entering the real world a little bit. Of course the forum will be a huge part of what we will be about, but it wont be solely aimed at it. That wouldn't make any kind of sense really.

Inclusivity is all well and good. But it has to be interesting and engaging first and foremost. In my honest opinion.

The thing is ... if we built it up enough, there's nothing saying we can't fund someone's trip to London to come to the studio and join us for a session of ... well... whatever it may be. I think that's a preferable approach than relying on people's homes, bedrooms, camcorders, dodgy lighting, broken microphones, etc.. etc..

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Promote music made by forum members. It's not too hard to create a basic video - could be of someone/band playing or just a slide show of images. The regular forum composition challenge might lend itself to this ...

Gear demos will be hard .... YouTube is saturated with them. I actually think the best thing Andertons does is the 'Soundlike' videos as you get an idea of how to put a rig together. I think these sort of videos could be good.

How to videos .. these could be anything from how to setup and record at home, use a DAW to choosing a guitar, to setting up a guitar or modding a guitar (how to fit pickups). Do we have any links with guys like Tim at Bareknuckle Pickups?

Technique videos - we have some amazing players on here ..

The list is endless.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    edited December 2018
    Bear in mind as Lee said ... this isn't *just* for the forum. It's branching out from the forum and entering the real world a little bit. Of course the forum will be a huge part of what we will be about, but it wont be solely aimed at it. That wouldn't make any kind of sense really.

Inclusivity is all well and good. But it has to be interesting and engaging first and foremost. In my honest opinion.

The thing is ... if we built it up enough, there's nothing saying we can't fund someone's trip to London to come to the studio and join us for a session of ... well... whatever it may be. I think that's a preferable approach than relying on people's homes, bedrooms, camcorders, dodgy lighting, broken microphones, etc.. etc..

I think that's a perfectly reasonable ambition, and will help keep things high quality and "on brand", so to speak.

(welcome back, btw - I don't think I've said that yet!)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90fool said:
    This could be a big issue. Decent production values are essential to survival IMO, it's really hard work wading through bad phone videos when you're looking to buy a particular piece of equipment for example.

The problem is though that it could end up that the only contributors are from an exclusive little club centred around in one part of the country. There's nothing wrong with that per se if the content is good, but it could be hard to sustain that as a video channel for this particular forum, rather than as just another YouTube guitar channel. 

I think to maintain interest in a YouTube channel on the parent forum there HAS to be a slot, however small, for us provincial Fretboard correspondents to contribute something, if only to make it feel inclusive to all. 

I can think of a few regular members on here who have a favourite guitar or amp I find interesting, or an outlook on how they use a particular piece of gear in their own band for example. 

I don't think it would hurt to have a slightly amateurish (and heavily edited if necessary) two-minute slot for someone outside the regular production team to have an input on say, a current forum hot topic, a technique tip or even just a Forumite's New Guitar Day feature. 
    You're dead-on with the production values issue. We've made a few small steps to working out how we can generate pro-looking videos with a bit of consistency already (don't want to mention any specifics 'cos there are companies involved and nothing's set in stone yet).

In my mind, the link to the forum - in terms of content - could be two-fold to begin with:

1 - Taking content ideas from the forum gestalt. Y'know, interesting ideas that pop up, bits of news, regular questions (beyond the normal newbie stuff) etc.

2 - Possibly a roundtable show - a couple of regular "presenters" (possibly Drew and I - not 100% convinced that I have the personality for on-camera work, but it'll do until a better alternative presents itself) and two or three forum members with interesting thoughts on the subject(s) at hand.

Don't know if many of you follow any non-music channels, but I like the formats of channels like Philip DeFranco's, SORTEDfood and WhatCulture, and ideally we'd be able to mash some of those ideas together to make something that's not commonly seen in the world of YouTube music.

Logistics are always going to be a problem. It looks like the "studio" will likely be in London, which is about 100 miles from me. To begin with at least, it's unlikely that we'd be able to do the travel expenses thing, so that's another problem. I'm willing to swallow the cost for myself, mainly because I'm so sunk in on the whole forum thing (in terms of time and money) that it's a bit of a drop in the ocean, but I understand that many won't want to do that. However...we have to start somewhere.

That last bit is the key, really. This is going to evolve over time; take a look at all the decent-sized YouTube channels, and you'll see that they're a far cry from where they started. What we're effectively talking about here is a starting point for the first 6-12 months to help us get it established and get some regular viewers. From there, it'll probably be a case of taking stock of the audience we then have (big assumption in that) and working out where we'd like to go next versus what's practical.

Note: I haven't discussed all of this with Drew, so there could be a heated discussion to be had behind the scenes :D
    <space for hire>
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    documentary of a sound check for a big name gig, looking at guitar rig and how that gets balanced in FOH
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    assuming the content will be aimed at establishing a well established and supported youtube channel created some members of the Fretboard Forum, too what extent do you feel it will be able to remain free from the commercially driven nature of many other channels especially when it comes to reviews etc..

What I am curious about and hopeful of is an informative media outlet NOT driven by the vested interests of advertisers or indeed associates with something to sell.

Tis a rarity to find unpaid for opinion in the modern world and due to this would it not be a prudent initial strategic aim to target this particular point and build a REAL reputation for unbiased opinion, reviewing and content.

I do feel that going forwards this kind of ethos will be a big deal to some especially given the inevitable hangover from the present cultural bankruptcy