A little help with PRS values - CU22, Al D and Hiland models.

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
My father in law is rationalising his PRS collection and has asked me to sell the following:

2005 Custom 22 (Mint, all stock, cased, all case candy, hang tags) in some sort of sunburst with birds and trem.  Signed 'To Mike' by PRS on the backplate.
2008 Al D (Mint bar a ding on the back edge, all stock, cased, case candy, hang tags) in the awful weird prism burst or whatever they call it.  Signed 'To Mike' by PRS on the backplate.
2007 Johnny Hiland (Mint, all stock, cased,, all case candy, hang tags) in a black burst.  Signed 'To Mike' by Johnny Hiland on the backplate

The only recent sale I've found is for a green Hiland in similar condition for £1600.  Any ideas if that's around the going rate and ideas on the others?

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1442

• HaychHaych Frets: 5629

World Guitars very recently sold an Al Di Meola Prism for about £2750, I think.  That should be a ballpark figure for you to work from, although in a private sale buyers might not expect to pay as much.

Custom 22s are odd.  Some days they seem to fetch good money, other days they don't, I've seen a couple recently make less than a grand.  They don't seem to fetch as much as Custom 24s so perhaps look at used values of Custom 24 instruments and knock a bit off?  They seem to sell anywhere between £1000 and £1400 realistically, depending on spec and condition.

The Johnny Hiland model is probably the hardest to value. I personally wouldn't have a clue, but £1600 seems high to me.

Disclaimer - I'm certainly no expert so I could be way off, take the above with a pinch of salt and if in doubt take a look at what similar guitars fetch on eBay's completed listings.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    Haych said:

World Guitars very recently sold an Al Di Meola Prism for about £2750, I think.  That should be a ballpark figure for you to work from, although in a private sale buyers might not expect to pay as much.

Custom 22s are odd.  Some days they seem to fetch good money, other days they don't, I've seen a couple recently make less than a grand.  They don't seem to fetch as much as Custom 24s so perhaps look at used values of Custom 24 instruments and knock a bit off?  They seem to sell anywhere between £1000 and £1400 realistically, depending on spec and condition.

The Johnny Hiland model is probably the hardest to value. I personally wouldn't have a clue, but £1600 seems high to me.

Disclaimer - I'm certainly no expert so I could be way off, take the above with a pinch of salt and if in doubt take a look at what similar guitars fetch on eBay's completed listings.

Thanks mate.  The Hiland I found was an Ebay completed sale, but i've not seen an Al D for sale anywhere.  It's a stunning sounding guitar, but I can't get beyond the paint scheme....

Agree about the Customs though - they're a huge variable.  He's done the right thing keeping them mint and all the case candy though.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited December 2018
    That Al DiMeola model is a stunner, always loved that finish on a PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d have estimated around 1200/1300 for the cu22, 2k-2200 for the AdM and 1200-1400 for the H.     
    Its partly about timing and if the right buyers happens to be looking but I’ve also seen all of those models hang around unsold for a fair while. 
  • Was offered a Hiland in whale blue for £1100 fairly recently.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    The Al Di M might be sold soon as it does a good impression of a xmas jumper ! The Hiland needs someone looking for that model to get its fair value, looks like a great guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I've been scanning the ads for about a month looking for a Custom 24 and as far as the Custom 22 is concerned, I think Haych is pretty much spot on about their relative values. Around 1200 quid for good used condition going up to 1400 for a minter. If it was the other way around I'd be able to afford a Custom 24 :)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Which is weird cos the 22 is the better guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    jeztone2 said:
    Which is weird cos the 22 is the better guitar. 

That's subjective.  In terms of tone then it should be, with a shorter, stiffer neck and the neck pickup in the "right" place.

However, I've never understood PRS' mentality when it comes to the differences between the Cu22 and Cu24.  On the 22 you can have the wide-thin or wide-fat neck profiles, not the regular.  On the 24 you can have the regular or wide-thin, not the wide-fat.  That might have changed in recent years but it was like that for ages, they've also renamed the neck profiles too, so don't know if that's broadened the options available.

Also, why that stupid, huge, ugly heel on the 22?  It's already got a shorter, stiffer neck - if anything the heel on the 24 should be longer to stiffen the neck a bit, but that has a relatively much shorter heel than the 22.

If I were buying one I'd choose the 24, simply because it has the neck option I want and is more comfortable to play at the higher frets without that stupid great big heel.

That's all only my own personal opinion though. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    For what its worth my old Hiland will be going up at Richtone Music shortly after a new years trade in. They thought 1500 for a retail sale so 1200-1400 sounds like the ball park for a private sale .