Lipstick Pickups?

What's Hot
Hi all

My very lovely wife has offered to buy me a 12 string kit from G4M as a Christmas present. 

I'm going to go for the "strat" one and I quite fancy putting lipstick style pickups in (I loved the ones on my old danelectro).

Do cheap lipstick Pickups sound anything like they should or are they just bog standard single coils in a case that aren't any different to normal strat pickups? And does anyone have any cheap ones they'd recommend? 

And yes, I know that in terms of quality buying a second hand guitar would be a better idea. But the point is to have some fun doing it. :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Do you want replicas of the full-size Dano ones or the shorter ones that fit into a regular SSS Stratocaster scratchplate?

Pre-owned Duncan Designed ones should be inexpensive. You may have to buy them as a complete scratchplate and electronics assembly.

Kent Armstrong/SKY used to make a budget model but I forget in what size(s).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I wouldn't think for a second the budget options use the Danelectro alnico 6, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't construct them the same way though, the bobbin cost would be minimal.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • As a bit ofan SRV fan, I've always lusted after a white Strat with lipstick pickups like his "Charley" guitar. It's a pity I hate playing them.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986

Kent Armstrong/SKY used to make a budget model but I forget in what size(s).
    Certainly they did them in full size (my Talman came with three). I don't know if they did Strat size too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

I fitted ones from Axesrus and so did my boy, but I guess all non-posh ones are very similar. Re sound they have their own thing going on, different character, the chime etc. Though there is some similarity to Strats when I play either the difference is clear. I've no idea how they'd compare to Mojos or other repro ones though.
    His Strat bridge they can be quite thin until you add some drive, in my Tele the Bigsby fattened that out a treat. Great with fuzz. Cheapest pickups I've got by a long way but I really like 'em.

The Strat-sized ones can make the E's slightly lower on output, sometimes notice it a little with the high E but any drive or compression sorts that out.

Pic tarting for no good reason-

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/N_strat_1.jpg

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/shimmerkaster/bigsby/above.jpg

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Corvus said:
    The Strat-sized ones can make the E's slightly lower on output
    The bar magnets are not quite long enough. This could prove critical for the OP's proposed twelve string kit guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Might be, don't often notice it on mine, only when deliberately listening out for it really, but yes string spacing might matter.