Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jumping ship to Android.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    WezV said:
    I switched to a p20 pro earlier this year.  So I am paying SE prices for something comparable to a top end iPhone

I don't miss the iPhone at all.  

The best bit is battery life, especially when I see my wife having to plug her iPhone in twice a day.  I have done 4 hrs of sat nav  and still not needed to plug the phone in when I got home.  It's never been below 10%.  I expected to buy a spare cable but it seems pointless now

There are quirks.  It's more customisable, but that means some options may introduce bugs.  Apple stuff does just work, until the battery runs out

I’ve been up since 7:30am, and battery is currently at 70% on the XR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    edited December 2018
    Samsung S9 Plus here and been Android for years!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I switched from Windows phone to android. I miss the operating system, not the lack of apps. 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    I fancy an S9 but my S6 is going so well after nearly 3 years that I can't justify it. Samsung make bloody good phones.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I've got an S8 which is ok - the bad points I've found are battery life seems to have gone down quite a lot in a year, if it's made of glass it chips quite easily so don't wait as long as I did before getting a case, wireless charging seems like a good idea but all too often I wake up in the morning with my battery at 2% because I've missed the area on the charger by one mm.

Good points are that you can plug it into any computer (except a Mac) and drag and drop files. For mac you need an app which I haven't tried, but I can't imagine it being more restrictive than iTunes/IOS. It also has a headphone socket.

I haven't set it up but you can use Samsung Pay if you're that way inclined, I prefer not to give Samsung my bank details.

Call quality and reception seem fine, as does the camera, and it is certainly powerful enough to play games etc. The only music related apps I have are a guitar tuner  and a banjo app (don't ask) which showed incorrect chords!

On a few occasions I've used it to record environmental sounds with the voice recorder app which have made it onto recorded tunes - it records in stereo and the results I got were very usable.

The main reason I got it is it is waterproof to a certain extent and my previous phone died after It slipped out my pocket and into the toilet on a day when my mother was going into hospital for surgery.
  • For anyone missing their iPhone integration with their Mac, there's always AirDroid if you're on Windows:

https://www.airdroid.com/

And if you're a Linux kinda person, then there's KDE Connect and the associated KDE or Gnome apps.
    <space for hire>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Thanks Lee, that is very helpful.

Any other useful apps would be welcome- I don't know much about Android, the thing I need is dual sim support, as I am travelling a lot between Switzerland, Australia and Singapore at the moment and don't want to have to carry 3 phones.
    As it stand I will be carrying 2 with me a lot of the time- my iPhone X (so not completely jumping ship... yet) and the Note 9.

Off to pick it up now actually.
    Expect many confused questions from me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16542
    WezV said:
    I switched to a p20 pro earlier this year.  So I am paying SE prices for something comparable to a top end iPhone

I don't miss the iPhone at all.  

The best bit is battery life, especially when I see my wife having to plug her iPhone in twice a day.  I have done 4 hrs of sat nav  and still not needed to plug the phone in when I got home.  It's never been below 10%.  I expected to buy a spare cable but it seems pointless now

There are quirks.  It's more customisable, but that means some options may introduce bugs.  Apple stuff does just work, until the battery runs out

I’ve been up since 7:30am, and battery is currently at 70% on the XR.
    Clearly missed the price difference bit ;)
  • Where I work we have 22 iPhone 5c models for senior staff that we've had for a few years now.  A few have died, some are dying and we are now at the end of our contract so can get new models.  We basically get a big hardware allowance for the 22 lines and can then choose what phones to get out of that, if we go for cheaper phones then we get cash back which as you can imagine for a small charity is quite cool.

Cut a long story short we were given one of the new Nokia 6.1 phones to trial as an iPhone alternative.  It went round our IT team and onto some senior bods for a few weeks and they all came back saying it did exactly what the iPhone did for half the price. I had a little play with it for 2 days and must say it was really impressive.

Not sure if it's sales patter or not but our phone supplier said that Nokia are selling these almost at cost because they want to get back some market share that they've lost over the years so it may be a good time to look at them.
    Cor!
    It is a bit nice.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    octatonic said:
    Cor!
    It is a bit nice.
    What colour is it? Is is 'smudgy'? 

I'm tempted to upgrade sooner rather than later. Hate putting big stupid looking covers on phones though, seen some real ugly ones out there. I just look after them.
  • Deadman said:
    octatonic said:
    Cor!
    It is a bit nice.

I'm tempted to upgrade sooner rather than later. Hate putting big stupid looking covers on phones though, seen some real ugly ones out there. I just look after them.
    I've got a first-gen Pixel, and the only reason I put a cover on it is that I use a magnetic phone holder in the car and I didn't want to glue the strip onto the phone itself. There are some decent slimline ones around, and the one I've got is just the right "stickiness" in terms of the rubber feel, so that it's not as easy to drop.
    <space for hire>
  • @octatonic - I've got to say, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy. This thread surprises me a bit :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    octatonic said:
    Cor!
    It is a bit nice.

I bought a black one no smudging this far but I bought a case for it.

LOVING the Pen although it does tend to put some weird capitalisations In place,
    edited December 2018
    @octatonic - I've got to say, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy. This thread surprises me a bit
    I actually started on PC- back when there was no other option for audio I eventually went Mac.
    I've always had a mixture of Mac and PC's though- indeed I am typing this on a Dell XPS13 9370.

When the iPhone came out I needed tight integration with the computers but now everything is so oriented towards streaming, so I don't need it like I used to.

If Apple made a two sim phone with a headphone jack then I might not have made the switch, but they don't.
    So far I'm enjoying the Android experience.
    It is super fast and I can do everything I can do on an iPhone.

Happy days.
    Oh and I love the USBC connection. I can use one cable to charge my Mac laptop, PC laptop and Galaxy Note 9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited December 2018
    Always been a user of Android except for iPhones given to me for work. I always liked the tactile feel of the iPhone and never had an Android that matched it for that end of things. I didn't like the screen keyboard on an iPhone nor the generally poor battery life.

Got a year old Sony XZ Premium which has a massive battery life and a larger than normal screen. When the contract is up in a year, I'll probably change back to Samsung or may even consider Huawei. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic - I've got to say, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy. This thread surprises me a bit
    I actually started on PC- back when there was no other option for audio I eventually went Mac.
    I've always had a mixture of Mac and PC's though- indeed I am typing this on a Dell XPS13 9370.

When the iPhone came out I needed tight integration with the computers but now everything is so oriented towards streaming, so I don't need it like I used to.

If Apple made a two sim phone with a headphone jack then I might not have made the switch, but they don't.
    So far I'm enjoying the Android experience.
    It is super fast and I can do everything I can do on an iPhone.

Happy days.
    Interesting. Apple are implementing eSIM in some countries now for unlimited numbers linked to a single phone, and I suspect it’s carrier dependent not apple dependent. Similarly given iPad Pro has gone usbc I expect iPhone will next  gen. 

Headphone socket is insteresting - I personally found wired phones on a mobile device a nightmare - I was always breaking the cables. I see Samsung is now going socketless now after baiting apple for so long...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Wolfetone said:
    I didn't like the screen keyboard on an iPhone 
    Swiftkeys!

It has swipey-typey too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Sporky said:
    Wolfetone said:
    I didn't like the screen keyboard on an iPhone 
    Swiftkeys!

It has swipey-typey too.
    Haha - Good suggestion but I never figured out how to switch permanently from lower case to upper case and have always had to keep going back and forth every time I wanted to select an upper case.letter.