Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jumping ship to Android.

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28143
    Double-tap the shift button. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic - I've got to say, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy. This thread surprises me a bit
    I actually started on PC- back when there was no other option for audio I eventually went Mac.
    I've always had a mixture of Mac and PC's though- indeed I am typing this on a Dell XPS13 9370.

When the iPhone came out I needed tight integration with the computers but now everything is so oriented towards streaming, so I don't need it like I used to.

If Apple made a two sim phone with a headphone jack then I might not have made the switch, but they don't.
    So far I'm enjoying the Android experience.
    It is super fast and I can do everything I can do on an iPhone.

Happy days.
    Interesting. Apple are implementing eSIM in some countries now for unlimited numbers linked to a single phone, and I suspect it’s carrier dependent not apple dependent. Similarly given iPad Pro has gone usbc I expect iPhone will next  gen. 

Headphone socket is insteresting - I personally found wired phones on a mobile device a nightmare - I was always breaking the cables. I see Samsung is now going socketless now after baiting apple for so long...
    It is a common complaint from drummers- you just want to be able to play along with backing tracks with your in-ears.
    Bluetooth headphones have latency and pissing about with dongles is awful, you can never find one.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I've used inexpensive Moto G phones for the last couple of generations. Do everything I need them to and I don't use a cover as they're quite tough and if they break they're not a fortune to replace. I've been since only for years, and I change phone every couple of years, so the whole lot works out at under £20 a month
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    ... I have a lot invested in the ecosystem.

I see that statement a lot but I've never really understood it. I've got a MBP at home, an iphone and an ipad, but I've never really worked out what this magical ecosystem link between them all is - I feel like I'm missing something!
    I have a work windows laptop and don' have any problems doing things on that and my iphone.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:
    ... I have a lot invested in the ecosystem.

I see that statement a lot but I've never really understood it. I've got a MBP at home, an iphone and an ipad, but I've never really worked out what this magical ecosystem link between them all is - I feel like I'm missing something!
    I have a work windows laptop and don' have any problems doing things on that and my iphone.
    It is the little things.
    Take a photo on your iPhone and it will be on your iPad and Mac within a matter of seconds/minutes.
    Being able to answer your phone on your Mac, rather than getting your phone out of your pocket or off its charger.

Before streaming was a thing, you could have all your music on all your devices without having to move any data about- you just registered with iTunes Match, everything you owned uploaded to their server and then was distributed throughout your devices.

It isn't what you can do with the,, it is what Apple did for you, without you needing to do anything.
    A lot of it has gone away- either things they did for you like music distribution aren't important because of streaming, or they actively through up roadblocks (lack of a hp socket, Pages not being able to natively deal with word documents) to productivity.

I also have a lot invested in Apple- 3 computers, 2 phones, 3 iPads and 2 Apple TV's.
    I didn't change to Android on a whim and for a while I'll be running both in parallel.
    I'm just a bit fucked off with doing things the Apple way all the time.

I have no plan to stopping Macs in the studio but I think for productivity stuff I am back with Windows for a while.
    I can always go back if it doesn't work out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

It is the little things.
    Take a photo on your iPhone and it will be on your iPad and Mac within a matter of seconds/minutes.
    I don't know if they were playing catch-up, but Google does that across Android and Windows devices for me, and all in the background.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018

octatonic said:
    @octatonic - I've got to say, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy. This thread surprises me a bit
    I actually started on PC- back when there was no other option for audio I eventually went Mac.
    I've always had a mixture of Mac and PC's though- indeed I am typing this on a Dell XPS13 9370.

When the iPhone came out I needed tight integration with the computers but now everything is so oriented towards streaming, so I don't need it like I used to.

If Apple made a two sim phone with a headphone jack then I might not have made the switch, but they don't.

Happy days.
    Interesting. Apple are implementing eSIM in some countries now for unlimited numbers linked to a single phone, and I suspect it’s carrier dependent not apple dependent. Similarly given iPad Pro has gone usbc I expect iPhone will next  gen. 

Headphone socket is insteresting - I personally found wired phones on a mobile device a nightmare - I was always breaking the cables. I see Samsung is now going socketless now after baiting apple for so long...
    e-sim is a interesting idea but I already have two iPhones and a 3rd just to get that one feature at $2k SGD (£1150) seemed like a lot to pay. I don't think an e-sim plus regular sim is as flexible as having the choice between two regular sims or 1 sim plus 1 SD card.
    Also the e-sim isn't supported on my network in Singapore, I'd have to change network to do it.

Also, the cost- the Note 9 was $999 (or £576), they are discounting them heavily here and it means I get to scratch the Android itch for not a lot of money, relatively speaking.
    octatonic said:

Also, the cost- the Note 9 was $999 (or £576), they are discounting them heavily here and it means I get to scratch the Android itch for not a lot of money, relatively speaking.
    Jinkies!

That's less than our Samsung rep can get them on his staff account.
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

Jinkies!

That's less than our Samsung rep can get them on his staff account.
    I know, it was a bit of a no-brainer.
    The $999 ones have sold out but there are a few at $1099 if people can deal with buying from abroad:

https://www.lazada.sg/products/samsung-galaxy-note9-128gb-i263756924-s409053696.html

I think they only have blue ones cheap now too.
    You'd probably get stung with 20% VAT though so not sure if it is worth it.
    GST is only 7% here.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    octatonic said:

octatonic said:

Happy days.

e-sim is a interesting idea but I already have two iPhones and a 3rd just to get that one feature at $2k SGD (£1150) seemed like a lot to pay. I don't think an e-sim plus regular sim is as flexible as having the choice between two regular sims or 1 sim plus 1 SD card.
    Also the e-sim isn't supported on my network in Singapore, I'd have to change network to do it.

Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t suggesting you did the wrong thing ;) just that clearly apple have noticed a gap and are in some way or other working on multi sims and usbc rollout. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited December 2018
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    I switched to a p20 pro earlier this year.  So I am paying SE prices for something comparable to a top end iPhone

I don't miss the iPhone at all.  

The best bit is battery life, especially when I see my wife having to plug her iPhone in twice a day.  I have done 4 hrs of sat nav  and still not needed to plug the phone in when I got home.  It's never been below 10%.  I expected to buy a spare cable but it seems pointless now

There are quirks.  It's more customisable, but that means some options may introduce bugs.  Apple stuff does just work, until the battery runs out

I’ve been up since 7:30am, and battery is currently at 70% on the XR.
    Clearly missed the price difference bit
    Not really since my XR cost me £504? A P20 Pro is £570 on Amazon?  

Same kind of price.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Where I work we have 22 iPhone 5c models for senior staff that we've had for a few years now.  A few have died, some are dying and we are now at the end of our contract so can get new models.  We basically get a big hardware allowance for the 22 lines and can then choose what phones to get out of that, if we go for cheaper phones then we get cash back which as you can imagine for a small charity is quite cool.

Cut a long story short we were given one of the new Nokia 6.1 phones to trial as an iPhone alternative.  It went round our IT team and onto some senior bods for a few weeks and they all came back saying it did exactly what the iPhone did for half the price. I had a little play with it for 2 days and must say it was really impressive.

Not sure if it's sales patter or not but our phone supplier said that Nokia are selling these almost at cost because they want to get back some market share that they've lost over the years so it may be a good time to look at them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I work in comms so I have devices of both kinds. my choice is iPhone/OSX but I Administer systems in Win 7, Win 10, Solaris, HPUX, SuSE, SLES, red Hat and a few others. Unless I've been absolutely twatting it I only charge my phone at night, (iPhone 10) and sometimes not every night.

I have laptops of several flavours but my personal money buys Apple because I like the build quality. That said I get lots of stuff to play with and I thought the move to "just" USB C was totally shite. 

I've always said if iPhone didn't do what I wanted it to, I'd either jailbreak or jump ship. not happened yet and my first iPhone was a 3GS.

interesting point, one of my developers managed to make an app with an modified version of the Android SDK that could take a few bits of info off your Android phone (contacts, app list, MAC address, Serial Number, OS version, BT stack etc) without pairing or needing security, but this was with Ice Cream Sandwich and I'm sure they fixed the sieve by now.

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    The only reason I considered chucking in my iphone for a Note 9 is the exclusive Fortnite skin you get with a Note 9...

Yeah I play Fortnite - come at me bro!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I don't use a phone for music making.
    The dirty secret is that nobody does. You can find individual examples, but the stats are pretty terrible. Yet the industry keeps pouring money into developing mobile apps. Because that's what VC's want.

Bye!

octatonic said:
    The dirty secret is that nobody does. You can find individual examples, but the stats are pretty terrible. Yet the industry keeps pouring money into developing mobile apps. Because that's what VC's want.
    I can believe it.
    The whole experience is dire.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The tuner apps are handy.. but I’ve never used one for making music. Did do a recording session onto an iPad which was okay tho.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I can believe it.
    The whole experience is dire.
    The Emperor (no, not THAT one!) has no clothes.

The ergonomics of phones, tablets, and other portable devices leave so much to be desired that for anyone to make music with them the number of hoops they have to jump through is just too great.

You have to compare what you're designing to the very basics - human voice, piano, guitars and other strung instruments, etc...

If it's not that easy, then it's a fail in all likelyhood.

Bye!

• Tried Android for a solid 6 months earlier in the year and I could get buy but it always felt like that. So went back when the new Iphones were released September. Happy and relaxed and enjoying being back and feel my phone is back in my life rather than some awkward almost there type of thing.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Tried Android for a solid 6 months earlier in the year and I could get buy but it always felt like that. So went back when the new Iphones were released September. Happy and relaxed and enjoying being back and feel my phone is back in my life rather than some awkward almost there type of thing.
    I think I'd be seriously concerned if my state of happiness, calmness and enjoyment of life was contingent on the form factor and OS of my mobile phone.  I treat my phone as a piece of equipment I use from time to time not as something which forms an integral part of my existence.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher