Isolation for Subs?

So, Im in a small, upstairs, carpeted room.  I have some A5Xs on a shelf (well a kitchen worktop on the top tier of a keyboard stand as my mcok desk) which have foam Iso pads. I have just replaced these with proper isolating stands.

Under the desk is a Yamaha 10" sub - which has a downwards firing port.  Obviously its a little boom'y (small room, corner located, upstairs bouncy floor), though it is currently sitting on a slate chopping board (works surprisingly well) which reflects a lot of the sound from the port away from the floor.

However, I know have a pair of Iso pads I can use for the sub as well.  The question.  Do I raise the slate chopping board up onto the pads, so the sub sits on teh chopping board but the board is isolated on the pads - SO do I put the pad on top of the slate board - and the sub onto that.  

The first method is the one I THINK will be best - as the sub and slate board will work together but be isolated from the floor (at lease a Little), but Im not really sure.  The second way will isolate the sub completely from anything - but the port energy will bounce off the slate board which wont be isolated from the floor.  

Thoughts on this anyone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    the iso pad is to insulate the vibrating noisy object from the floor, so put the slate on top of the iso pad

tbh, you should be able to experiment and see what works best anyway

can you point the sub at open space instead by lying it sideways?
  • Sup points into the room  or rather the speaker does.  The port is downward firing.

But yeh, as I thought.  Slate on pads