Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Banning of Gender Stereotyping in adverts.....

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I make a point of not watching adverts; I find them a really annoying waste of my time.

Even worse, I've had emails beseeching me to watch companies' adverts - what the heck is that about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I missed something I wanted to watch earlier this week so I downloaded it on Sky catch-up. It had commercials before, during and after.

Why? Who in their right mind thinks that the viewer will not fast-forward through them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    scrumhalf said:
    I missed something I wanted to watch earlier this week so I downloaded it on Sky catch-up. It had commercials before, during and after.

Why? Who in their right mind thinks that the viewer will not fast-forward through them?
    I’m really surprised an ad agency hasn’t done a commercial in slo-mo so it makes sense (even without sound) when fast forwarded 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

You’ll love the Channel 4 player , if you FF through the ads it bounces you back to the start of the ads and won’t let you play any more of the programme until they’ve played. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    1984 is upon us ... my son's partner looks after the kids, goes shopping and prepares meals while he earns a living. She needs to be told she's a failure ... the advertising people ought to go to my local Tesco's as during weekdays it's full of women. The same outside my local primary school which backs onto my house. At the end of the day 99% of the people collecting their children are women ... and yet you can't have a TV advert which reflects everyday life as you see it if it reinforces gender stereotypes.

Hope about fixing poverty or improving social mobility?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    You're over-reacting. It will ban "gender stereotypes that are likely to cause harm, or serious or widespread offence" So I very much doubt that will extend to women collecting kids or shopping.

From the article:

Ella Smillie, a policy expert at CAP, told the BBC: "There is nothing in our new guidance to suggest that ads can't feature people carrying out gender-typical roles.

"The issue would be if in that depiction it suggested that that's the only option available to that gender and never carried out by someone of another gender.

"So for example if you had a woman doing the cleaning, we wouldn't anticipate a problem. But if you had an advert with a man creating lots of mess and putting his feet up while a woman cleaned up around him, and it was very clear that she was the only person that did that at home, that's the kind of thing that could be a problem."

It's PC gone mad I tell ya!!!!

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Wish they'd fucking get rid of generic shouty radio ads and the sneaky volume increases during ad breaks on TV. Boils my piss. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @randella the meerkats theme was itself based on a very popular TV series a few years ago following a ‘family’ of meerkats in back-of-beyond, where each animal was given a name and it was a bit like Eastenders for the african savanna.

Why the marketing gurus gave those meerkats a slavic accent is beyond me, but hey, I’m not in advertising.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited December 2018
    The ads that really wind me up are the  ones that try to claim that they're your "mate".

Usually banks, "with you on life's journey..", that kind of bollocks.

If I phone my mates they answer the phone, not put me in a queue for half an hour.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I was only saying to Mrs recently, while she was loading the dishwasher, that I didn’t think it was right and they should be ashamed of themselves :)  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    EricTheWeary said:

You’ll love the Channel 4 player , if you FF through the ads it bounces you back to the start of the ads and won’t let you play any more of the programme until they’ve played.
    I don’t find that a problem at all. I just have another window open in the background with something else on - usually here - and bring that to the front until the ad has finished.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    Advertisements have to get their message across in a few seconds or a single still photograph and a strap line. To achieve this, they need to deal in ideas to which the target market can relate. The stereotyping is not the advertisers' fault. It is ours.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    scrumhalf said:

I’m really surprised an ad agency hasn’t done a commercial in slo-mo so it makes sense (even without sound) when fast forwarded 
    One trick they have done is to post their ad at the start and end of the commercial break, so you then have to look for it as you're FF-ing...

Wish they'd fucking get rid of generic shouty radio ads and the sneaky volume increases during ad breaks on TV. Boils my piss. 
    I hit the mute button on the TV and hop channels on the radio (I only listen in the car).
    tone1 said:
    I was only saying to Mrs recently, while she was loading the dishwasher, that I didn’t think it was right and they should be ashamed of themselves :)  
    I've been thinking of getting an au-pair, to take care of those menial tasks and other servicing requirements.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I don’t find that a problem at all. I just have another window open in the background with something else on - usually here - and bring that to the front until the ad has finished.
    Doesn’t work on the TV ( or my TV anyway).Although I’m struggling to think of the last thing on Channel 4 I went out of my way to watch. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited December 2018
    scrumhalf said:

same if you click out of the page/Tab. It stalls and waits until you click back.

It doesn't however, detect if you go to another Browser or play the odd game until the piffle is done with.

The C5 player is worse, in that if you accidentally mis-click the small box with which to expand or reduce the player window it dumps you out the whole caboodle and you have to relocate the episode and start all over... Ba$tards...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    EricTheWeary said:

Doesn’t work on the TV ( or my TV anyway).Although I’m struggling to think of the last thing on Channel 4 I went out of my way to watch. 

C4 or More4 or All4 or whatever it’s called this week has a great world drama section, if that floats your boat. The Swedish effort “Thicker than Water” is particularly good.

I found the ads were tolerable, and as a bonus they got fewer in number with each break the longer you watched something. Towards the end it was pretty much only 20 seconds of Lexus sting and you were back in. Lately it’s been jacked right up to the full three minutes each time though, not sure if it’s just for Christmas but it’s noticeable. 
  • randella said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

C4 or More4 or All4 or whatever it’s called this week has a great world drama section, if that floats your boat. The Swedish effort “Thicker than Water” is particularly good.

I found the ads were tolerable, and as a bonus they got fewer in number with each break the longer you watched something. Towards the end it was pretty much only 20 seconds of Lexus sting and you were back in. Lately it’s been jacked right up to the full three minutes each time though, not sure if it’s just for Christmas but it’s noticeable. 
    I think the last thing was that series set in East Germany in the 80s. That was really good. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    randella said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I think the last thing was that series set in East Germany in the 80s. That was really good. 
    Yeah I need to watch that - good reminder! I’ve been scratching about for something new to get stuck in to.