G&L Love

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
edited December 2018 in Guitar
Popped in to Guitar Guitar in Camden earlier today - wanted to get my hands around a Fender American Professional Strat because on paper it sounded like it would be something I'd really love.  However, there were some really nice looking American G&L Legacy guitars just hanging around and I thought I'd try them too.

The G&Ls absolutely blew the Fenders away in how they felt - night and day really.  More resonant, no niggly buzzing, just way nicer under the hand.  Which is not what I expected to find at all.

Didn't plug anything in, mind, only had a few minutes.  But I absolutely loved it.  Not at all sold on the headstock.. but given how good it felt, I think I could probably live with that.
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d love to try a US one. I picked up a used L2000 Tribute recently and I love the tone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Was going to say "shame about the headstock" but you said it yourself lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Hmmm...

Just back from PMT Portsmouth myself and G&L have a floor rack right in the middle of the Fender wall. 

You look up at the Fenders, the low ones are locked, then you come across some you can pick up. It took me a minute, but these ones are all G&L. 

They probably had 12 or so Strats and Teles to grab ranging from £350 upward.

Must be having a little marketing push? 
  • I think they, along with Andertons and GuitarGuitar have formed a buying consortium and G&L is one of the brands they’ve started buying 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I worry I might come across as a G&L evangelist. And I've only played one, and that's the one I own (tribute fallout). It not perfect, but it is my number one guitar (not great competition to be fair) and I would recommend them to anyone. I would certainly like to try out, and have the cash for, a few US models. 
    PMT Pompey is my localest big store, and I don't get there much. I may avoid it now so I don't have to make any gas/divorce decisions.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I own a second generation G&L SC3 made around 1987 (it has a Wilkinson roller nut and they stopped using those in January 1988) with "By Leo Fender" on the headstock before Fender got annoyed about it.

It's the best guitar I have ever owned bar none and I still own it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28038
    I've had two - a Bluesboy, which was very, very good but just further confirmed that I'm not a Tele person, and a Legacy, which was a brilliant guitar - much more "me" than any Strat. Fantastic bridge and the tone control setup is both versatile and genuinely usable.

I'd very much like a US Doheny. In LPB, of course.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I've had an L2000 and an ASAT special.

Both superb. If it's good enough for PGS Andy etc.
    Sporky said:
    I've had two - a Bluesboy, which was very, very good but just further confirmed that I'm not a Tele person, and a Legacy, which was a brilliant guitar - much more "me" than any Strat. Fantastic bridge and the tone control setup is both versatile and genuinely usable.

I'd very much like a US Doheny. In LPB, of course.
    What level of Legacy did you have @Sporky ? USA or far east?
    edited December 2018
    Both USA. The Legacy was a Fullerton Special in LPB, matching headstock. I have never tried a Tribute so can't comment on 'em. 
    Sporky said:
    Both USA. The Legacy was a Fullerton Special in LPB, matching headstock. I have never tried a Tribute so can't comment on 'em. 
    Nice. Out of interest what's your Strat of choice now? 
    I don't have one. The Talman is as close as I get to a Strat. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    I've got a Bluesboy semi-hollow. Very nice guitar indeed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I have a US made S500 that I bought from a forum member a few years back. Great guitar that looks and plays fantastically well. Big neck and stable trem. Only change I've made is to replace the bridge pickup with an Oil City hot rails, as I needed more oomph for the stuff I play.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    edited December 2018
     I played a couple of the US teles (asaps or whatever.....), they were all very hefty and not that inspiring to play.

I also played a Comanche with those z pickups and a flame maple top... ghastly looking but played and sounded absolutely sublime. 

Like this.....

https://imgur.com/gallery/55wOgAO 
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    What do we think about the Tribute series?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    deano said:
    I own a second generation G&L SC3 made around 1987 (it has a Wilkinson roller nut and they stopped using those in January 1988) with "By Leo Fender" on the headstock before Fender got annoyed about it.

It's the best guitar I have ever owned bar none and I still own it.
    Piccies please Deano  :o
    Sesh said:
    I worry I might come across as a G&L evangelist. And I've only played one, and that's the one I own (tribute fallout). It not perfect, but it is my number one guitar (not great competition to be fair) and I would recommend them to anyone. I would certainly like to try out, and have the cash for, a few US models. 
    PMT Pompey is my localest big store, and I don't get there much. I may avoid it now so I don't have to make any gas/divorce decisions.
    I find the new PMT Pompey setup slightly intimidating. The staff are great, but to be presented with a huge wall of locked guitars doesn't make me want to try any. They do have the sound rooms I suppose. 

What are the music stores like in Southampton @Sesh ? We went over to the Titanic Museum a few weeks ago, that was the first time I've been to Above Bar for about 20 years, it was all looking in good order. 
  • I have a tribute ASAT Deluxe II which has been my main guitar for over 3 years now.  It looks solidly put together and I prefer the overall feel of it to my 90s MIM Tele.  Great workhorse for gigging. Would consider getting another if anything happened to it.  Never tried a USA model though. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Fuengi said:
    Sesh said:
    I find the new PMT Pompey setup slightly intimidating. The staff are great, but to be presented with a huge wall of locked guitars doesn't make me want to try any. They do have the sound rooms I suppose. 

What are the music stores like in Southampton @Sesh ? We went over to the Titanic Museum a few weeks ago, that was the first time I've been to Above Bar for about 20 years, it was all looking in good order. 
    There's not much that I know of. Only the guitar store near the train station. It's worth a visit if only for the front of the shop that looks like an amp. They used to have a sister acoustic shop two doors down that was styled like an acoustic amp. They've condensed into one unit now. There's a drum shop next door. It has a nice selection for the size of the shop. Staff seem friendly and not pushy. Other than that there's one in bitterne but the only time I've tried to go there it was shut.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.