50s wiring help please..

What's Hot
My Telemaster is going to be wired to a three-way blade switch like this:

https://i.imgur.com/omqEHoT.jpg

If I wanted to wire this 50s style is it just a case of:

1) Removing the wire that connects the bottom/end of side a to the top/start of side b;
2) Moving the wire that connects side b to the volume pot so that it now connects the volume pot to the bottom/end of side a; and
3) Adding a new connection from the top/start of side b to the middle tag of the volume pot.

I’ve probably got it completely wrong...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited December 2018
    4) Move the wire that connects the tone control to the volume control to the middle terminal of the volume control.

You don't need to do anything with the switch wiring, although if you want to improve reliability you can connect each pickup to the corresponding terminal on the lower side of the switch as well as the upper - ie three wires which would be vertical lines in that drawing.

NB, if you mean '50s style' I assume you mean *Gibson* 50s style - Fender never used that arrangement in the 50s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    4) Move the wire that connects the tone control to the volume control to the middle terminal of the volume control.

You don't need to do anything with the switch wiring, although if you want to improve reliability you can connect each pickup to the corresponding terminal on the lower side of the switch as well as the upper - ie three wires which would be vertical lines in that drawing.

NB, if you mean '50s style' I assume you mean *Gibson* 50s style - Fender never used that arrangement in the 50s.
    Yes, mean Gibson 50s style :)

Sorry for sounding dull, but is it (4) only that needs to be done & ignore 1-3?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    If you perform steps 1 and 2 described in your opening post, the second pole of the selector switch will be completely out of circuit.

Unless you follow ICBM's suggestion to double up the pickup connections to both poles of the selector switch, your step 3 will be redundant. (No signal to carry!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Yes.
    Thank you :)