Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "I will never sell this guitar" Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    My 68 Reissue Strat. I bought it on my 14th birthday back in 2000. It's been the one guitar I've never once thought of selling because I'm so attached it.

It's not the most comfortable guitar to play (next is too thin and narrow for me) but once you play it and start to gel with it, there's nothing else I want to play.

It's been modified heavily (currently has SD single coil sized humbuckers) so it sounds and plays much better than it used to.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/maliciousteve/photo1_zps10ebf30e.jpg

She's already had her 20th birthday last February. Beaten up to crap but every mark was made by me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873

2008 SG Standard. Dad helped pay for it for my 21st birthday so it has sentimental value. I've almost sold or traded it a few times but so glad I didn't. I really love SGs now I've found the right pickups for me. I went through a phase recently of thinking I needed a Les Paul, but played a few and realised I've got so accustomed to the SG now that pretty much anything else feels clunky, even strats seem a bit cumbersome.

Somewhat between pickups at the minute. The bridge ones an Alegree which is basically a BK Warpig. Sounds huge and I need to replace the neck P90 which now sounds a bit too weedy and twangy. Going to install coil splits so I can get fatter singlecoil-esque tones from it. This is my only decent electric so want it to be versatile.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some lovely guitars in this thread, and stories too. I genuinely don't think any of my guitars are keepers... not because I don't love them, I do - but I don't seem to have any sentimentality when it comes to guitars. I've sold my first ever guitar, I've sold my main gigging guitar, and I've sold the custom shop Jackson I bought as a tribute to a late girlfriend (which was after I'd ruined it with an awful refinish).
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited December 2018
    My Martin D28. Its a ‘91, which I bought new in ‘93 - the longest I’ve owned a guitar. All the acoustic guitar I’ll ever need....
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited December 2018
    It'd have to be this Tokai TST-55 I bought in 1984

Apart from the fact I probably couldn't sell it even if I wanted to, it's been my #1 guitar for most of the last 35 years or so (only losing ground to a Squier JMJM in recent years). It sounds great (well to my ears at least) and plays so nicely with such a comfortable neck.
    As you can see it's 'customised'! Mighty Mite Screaming Strat pickup in the bridge position, switches to engage neck pickup in combination with the bridge, and one for knocking the middle pickup out of phase. I gave it a fluorescent paint job about 22 years ago - Humbrol enamels over a base coat of Tippex to cover the original Sherwood Green!

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Interesting how many of the guitars are not expensive ones. I guess bonding with it is the key.

I stripped, refinished and upgraded my Mexican Strat earlier this year and now it feels really like MY guitar. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    This Musima Elgita. I bought it while living in Berlin. The neck is a replacement I had made by a luthier friend. I gigged it for years and became attached to it. The best reason I'll never sell it though is that it has no value whatsoever. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Never say never  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Interesting how many of the guitars are not expensive ones. I guess bonding with it is the key.

I stripped, refinished and upgraded my Mexican Strat earlier this year and now it feels really like MY guitar. 
    I agree. I suspect it's a balance where sentimental value exceeds monitory value. 
    The Esquire I posted earlier has high sentimental value & relatively low cash value so is a keeper. 
    My Shiflett Tele is much closer to the tipping point- I've been offered ALMOST a sufficient sum to overcome my emotional attachment. 
    It was ALMOST though & until then, it's a keeper too! 

https://i.imgur.com/JOGbPx2.jpg
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited December 2018
    Fuengi said:

Absolutely. It took me ages to bond with the SG, as my whole playing "career" up to that point was on Les Pauls and I'd got so used to the fluid sustain and thicker tone and this just felt lacklustre in comparison. Was determined to make it work though as the neck is lovely and the acoustic tone is one of the most resonant I've heard & felt. I sold my LP on a whim a couple years ago and regretted it ever since but it forced me to play this as my #1 and now I don't think I'd be without it. Playing a few LPs recently made me realise I'm not really missing much apart from that sustain, but now we have an awesome 2nd guitarist in the band I'm much more of a rhythm & riffs player anyway.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    edited December 2018
    T'would be this one for me.  Not actually worth anything to anyone else and to me the sentimental value is worth more than anything it would raise in actual financial value.

My dad made it for me, must be about two decades ago now.  It plays well and sounds great and has a super comfy neck but the fact that the old fella made it is its trump card.

Not sure if Imgur will embed the image or not so here's a linky: 

https://imgur.com/a/41Y9jVo

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited December 2018
    2014 R8 in limited edition Perry Burst. Got me through some tough professional exams around the time I bought it. Was back in the days when you could seriously haggle Thomann down on their Gibsons! 

With black hardware it would look a lot like the new Slash Brazilian Dream (minus the Brazilian wood of course!).

http://i.imgur.com/zaIHS6L.jpg
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Predictably, it’s my 1962 Jaguar. I wanted a Jaguar since I was bought The Ultimate Guitar Book as a 16 year old, so it was my dream guitar. Taken on extra poignancy of late as my stepdad lent me the money to buy it at the time, and he suddenly and unexpectedly passed away a month ago. This guitar will outlive me, and will go to my boys when I’m in the ground. 

Bit heavy, that. 

To lighten things, it sounds and plays incredibly. Golden era Fender n’all that. 

http://i.imgur.com/G758Awg.jpg
    Don't blame you, that's a truly stunning ES.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Got 3 !

Early 90s Strat Plus Deluxe (Blue Frost)

Tom Anderson hollow body drop top (dated on my birthday !)

Sadowsky Jim Hall special

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • For me it would be my Suhr Custom T and my R9. Three years ago I was long term unemployed, and the thought of owning guitars like this was just a pipe dream. Thankfully a good friend convinced her boss to let me cover her maternity leave, and that 9 month contract turned into a great full time job.

From a symbolic (sappy) point of view, these guitars mean a lot to me as they are a constant reminder that with hard work and a positive attitude, you can come back from anything.

From a material point of view, for my needs guitars really don't get better than these two. They sound, play and look incredible. If I ever lost either of these guitars, I think I would struggle to find something that matched up to them as a replacement. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I find that guitar I’ll let you all know. I have a few I suspect will be staying for a while but I’ll never say never -they are just tools of the trade.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I would never sell my tele or my PRS, I don't think I'd sell my acoustic 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    The four I have built myself are the only keepers

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    All of mine are keepers until I sell them. I bought two guitars this year having not bought one for 10 yrs. 

I don't play my les Paul much at the moment but I don't need to sell it and it's customised meaning I won't recoup the cost of the lollars and wiring so it stays
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    My ESP KH-2 NTB

https://i.imgur.com/4rWwnQ2.jpg

Metallica fan or not, this is the best built and best playing guitar I have ever laid my hand on. I knew I wanted one since I first saw it, and when I finally bit the bullet, it did not disappoint.

It’s my dream guitar, so selling it would be a silly thing to do.