Awkward Skype lesson with a "name" player....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4173
edited December 2018 in Technique
As the title suggests really. This was someone who's playing I'd become aware of and had really been getting into, and then saw via their social media that they'd opened up some lesson slots. So I jumped at the chance. I had some questions about how they do what they do, and also just wanted to see what they had to say about their approach and what they felt it was important to think about.

Fuck me it was one of the longest hours of my life (in fact I made my excuses at around the 50 minute mark because I was exhausted from carrying the conversation...) The only comparison I can draw is that it was like one of those interviews with an actor at the end of a long promotional tour, who really doesn't want to be there but has to. The lesson started with him Skyping me, and when the Skype window opened....he just didn't say anything. Just looked into his webcam with a kind of wearily expectant look on his face. Didn't actually ask me what I was interested in covering, or what my playing background was....no attempt to break the ice and start thing rolling. 

We eventually did start getting into some content and to his credit, any questions I had he answered and I totally get that there's always an element of "an audience with" about lessons of this type with someone who is an artist rather than a dedicated educator so I'm not really criticising him for it. There's no automatic correlation between a player's musical brilliance and their ability to share what's behind it, and its for the student to think about what they want to get out of things and take the initiative in asking questions, but what it really brought home to me how amazing those people who are artists and still manage to be truly enthusiastic and skilled teachers are. People like Bryan Sutton, Martin Simpson and Martin Taylor spring to mind...no surprise that they've all got a couple of decades experience over and above this chap I guess, but truly to be treasured!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Obviously you're not going to name them....
    ...but who was it?  :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4173
    Fuengi said:
    Haha yeah, no :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    Fuengi said:
    Haha yeah, no :)
    Absolutely, completely understand.

Just DM me his name  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2018
    Lewy said:
     ...what it really brought home to me how amazing those people who are artists and still manage to be... skilled teachers.... 
    Definitely.  It's something which fascinates me as it happens.  Not just with guitar but communicating all sorts of expertise. 
    Right now trying to study something obscure and academic and the leading lights in the research are... um... not good communicators.  Same phenomenon:  just cos you're clearly good at skill A (playing/ researching) doesn't mean you're good at skill B -- explaining.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hmmm does he play a lot of slide?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Does he wear a hat like Boy George’s in his latest video?  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I read this Discussion then went on Facebook and had an ad for Skype lessons with various people including Carlos Santana. Wow, that would be weird ( and incredibly expensive, I'm assuming). 

Grunfeld said:
    Lewy said:
     ...what it really brought home to me how amazing those people who are artists and still manage to be... skilled teachers.... 
    Definitely.  It's something which fascinates me as it happens.  Not just with guitar but communicating all sorts of expertise. 
    Right now trying to study something obscure and academic and the leading lights in the research are... um... not good communicators.  Same phenomenon:  just cos you're clearly good at skill A (playing/ researching) doesn't mean you're good at skill B -- explaining.
    My father did teacher training for a living. Can't say I thought much about it then ( he was semi retired when I was sixteen) but what makes a good teacher is something I've thought about from time to time and something I wished I'd discussed more with him. 
    In practice there may not be a single right set of teaching skills, we learn in different ways so may need people who teach in different ways. A really, really good teacher could adapt his/ her style but unless someone has been trained to do that they probably have a limited range of styles. Possibly for the OP it's simply a clash of styles, it might be that this person works well for other people ( probably not but it's a possible explanation). 
    Often bugs me when I go on training through work that people seem to equate good training with entertainment value. There is a chap who the council uses a lot who is quite a raconteur but the content of his training is so unstructured it makes my head hurt. I'm quite chaotic in a lot of my life but on training events I can hear my father in my head asking about the lesson plan...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    edited December 2018
    I exchanged some emails and received a very testy phone call from a ‘name’ player as well. he wanted to push his £60/h Skype lessons and told me off when I said I’d decided to stay local “you’ll never progress with that attitude and you are making the wrong choice”
    fuck right off....
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    hmmm does he play a lot of slide?
    That's who I was thinking of ;)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    So, how much does an hour with Justin Bieber cost nowadays?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I exchanged some emails and received a very testy phone call from a ‘name’ player as well. he wanted to push his £60/h Skype lessons and told me off when I said I’d decided to stay local “you’ll never progress with that attitude and you are making the wrong choice”
    fuck right off....

...but who was it?  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    We need names :)
  • Fuengi said:
    fuck right off....

...but who was it?  =)
    Damn makes me look cheap haha.
  • Sounds like a "cusp of stardom" thing where he's had some success, but not yet enough to feel secure enough to be humble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    Having been on both sides for Skype lessons I'm of the opinion that they aren't nearly as good as being in a room with someone, even when the tech is working well- and often it isn't.

It could just be down to having that barrier.

Also consider that you have a 'relationship' with this musician's output but not with the musician himself, whilst he doesn't know you at all either.

I can easily see how something like this can happen without anyone necessarily being at fault.
    Or maybe he's a dick.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4173
    edited December 2018
    On reflection, I think it was probably just a stylistic/communication mismatch - I really don’t think the guy’s a dick.

If anything, I think it’s down to how good he is meaning that he just doesn’t think about things that way an “intermediate” player like me does - example: I looks for shapes and patterns to work with. He left that behind so long ago, he just thinks about notes now and so in his mind, the answer to a lot of questions is “well just think of the note you want to play and play it”. He’d probably be ace for a beginner because I’m sure he’d teach fundamentals very well, and for a properly schooled advanced player too because then you could interact at that level. Not so much for the inbetweeners. 
  • If he is mainly a slide player, l had a similar experience
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6684
    Which fucking slide player oh my god!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    soma1975 said:
    I dunno mate but I can't decide whether the Ariel or Daz is best for whites.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJ said:
    soma1975 said:
    I dunno mate but I can't decide whether the Ariel or Daz is best for whites.
    I find Ariel does the best whites for posing in.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom