Awkward Skype lesson with a "name" player....

What's Hot

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    edited January 2019
    That's interesting.. as has been stated many times great players don't always (and often don't) make great teachers. Not mutually exclusive of course.. the whole lesson's by Skype (Hangouts or whatever) is rubbish IMHO. Great if you want to ask a few questions but as for an interactive lesson.... I've tried it a few times and just gave up. I now travel 1.5 hours to get to a great teacher and it's worth it..

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Based on how stilted and awkward Skype calls are at work, I wouldn't go anywhere near them for something as intricate as a guitar lesson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experiences Skype lessons have been great and one of the best things I spent money on in 2018 and am continuing in 2019.  It's just about finding the right teacher with a good personality, someone that you hit it off with.  If they demonstrate the licks slow and put the licks into simple terms e.g. "play low E string 10, hammer on to 12" then it shouldn't be a problem. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    @bingefeller out of interest, who have you had good experiences with? 

It's not something I've ever done, although I have had an in person lesson with someone who also runs a guitar learning site, which was very good (Mike Outram, who runs the Electric Campfire).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited January 2019
    Subsequent to the experience I described in the OP, I’ve actually had a very good Skype lesson with Levi Clay, so I’m confident that (for my needs at least) Skype can be a viable platform  if combined with an educator who a) has a talent and enthusiasm for teaching and b) understands and is geared up to actually use the platform. 

Other people who I haven’t had Skype lessons with but I have friends who have and have reported positive results are Courtney Hartman, Chris Eldridge and Guthrie Trapp. All quite bluegrass/country orientated mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the same issue with the same slide player people seem to be talking about - I felt he was close to almost taking the piss out of my playing - very odd. I could do the same with his vocals!

As above Levi Clay is great I have been doing on and off for a long time and he is organised, talented across all genres and a nice guy to boot.
  • Some people just shouldn’t be teaching, simple as that. They’re doing it only for the money and as soon as they’ve got enough money not to need to they’ll stop. They might be good players but they shouldn’t be teaching if they don’t enjoy it.

With guys like Levi Clay and Guthrie Trapp on the other hand I get the impression they love teaching and would still do it no matter how successful they are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I can't bear the thought of talking to a person on a screen via Skype. Freaks me out!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    If jazz fusion’s your thing, Greg Howe is amazing - he totally focuses on you for the whole lesson despite his busy schedule, and he’s an amazing communicator; plus he’s a right laugh. I’ve been with him for 4 years; we don’t do much in the way of technique, it’s more about music appreciation and composition - harmony, melody, that sort of thing - which I reckon is even harder than technique is to teach over skype, so the medium definitely works.

axisus - it’s very odd at first, but if the teacher is used to it it goes very smoothly
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Levi is on here, you know...

@missmisstreater

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    viz said:
    If jazz fusion’s your thing, Greg Howe is amazing - he totally focuses on you for the whole lesson despite his busy schedule, and he’s an amazing communicator; plus he’s a right laugh. I’ve been with him for 4 years; we don’t do much in the way of technique, it’s more about music appreciation and composition - harmony, melody, that sort of thing - which I reckon is even harder than technique is to teach over skype, so the medium definitely works.

axisus - it’s very odd at first, but if the teacher is used to it it goes very smoothly
    What, Greg Howe?  Like, THE Greg Howe?

How cool is that?!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Well, he is certainly very cool - and very patient!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've had Skype lessons with Bob Balch and he's been great, never once awkward and full of ideas and enthusiasm. He has helped me a lot. Half the battle is finding an instructor who plays in a way that you would like to
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Derek Trucks,Lowell George, Ry Cooder, Duane Allman, George Harrison, Bob Brozman ?

Knock once for yes twice for no
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Except Ry Cooder is still alive?!
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    He's dead to me, never answers my skype calls anyway.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718

Ace Frehley

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    kin said:
    Derek Trucks,Lowell George, Ry Cooder, Duane Allman, George Harrison, Bob Brozman ?

Knock once for yes twice for no
    Hmmm....sadly for all the great educational material he produced, some poor souls learned lessons from Bob Brozman that nobody should have to learn..... :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Lewy :shock: Errk!
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    @viz Greg Howe would be great. What kind of level do you think someone would need to be to take advantage? I'm a decent enough player, but I'm a long way from being a fusion shred guy (although I like it, and would if I could).