How do you know when frets are worn?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3363
I ask because I was looking at a photo of my guitar and I think they look worn , they are vintage, or Japanese early 70's so I assume they are vintage, do these look like they have been worked on? To me they look quite flat on the top, but its very consistent, have they been worked on , worn or are they just supposed to be like that?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    No idea if genuine wear or someone has levelled them without reprofiling, but they sure do look flat on top. 

I cant be much help as I have no experience of vintage frets, but I would reckon there should be some crown there.. gotta play and sound better that way.. unless of course vintage frets are indeed supposed to be quite flat like that... 

I've been unhelpful. 

Sorry.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3363
    Thats Ok, I thought they looked a little flat too, it plays really well but I do notice the low fret profile and as a result tend to play it quite gently , which I dont mind at all. For something that was built in 72ish there is no noticeable fretwear which makes me think either it was just not played or the frets have been worked on. The only guitar thats the same model that I have found is owned by someone on a Face Book group I am a part of, he described his frets as badly worn.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Those have definitely been dressed quite heavily - or more than once - and not really re-crowned enough, although not too bad... but at least they have actually been crowned!

There’s probably just about enough height left for a better crowning if you’re careful not to take the tops down, but after that it will need a refret.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had a couple of 70s Japanese Stratocasters with low flat top frets like yours and think that they were made like that. They were after all budget instruments and corners were cut.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I played a 68 Tele and it was really low frets, I asked Greg Koch about it on a livestream and he said they were pretty much like that anyway - really small frets - this looks quite similar but maybe just needing crowned again - might be worth planning for a refret on it next year or so - depends how much you play/gig it.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    This was quite a fun watch and quite instructional too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Its the Stone Roses guys! Watched the first ten minutes of that, it looks very interesting, There is a lot to be learned from that. I'll watch the rest tonight when I have more time.
    I had a 94 Mim Strat a while back with vintage style frets and they were low but if I remember correctly they were also narrower, thats what made me question the frets on this Aria because they seem a lot wider but show little sign of wear. If they have been dressed it isnt really a problem, it plays really nicely and there is no buzzing with quite a low action and little neck relief but I do have to go lightly on it, it makes it feel quite delicate.. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    robgilmo said:

Looking at the fret end tangs in this photograph, is there any clear coat over the metal?

Also, is there any point on the fingerboard where the clear coat overlaps the fret edges?
    Be seeing you.
    Not on the tangs, they seem to be set right into the wood, not flush at all, as if the wood has swollen out around them. On the fingerboard most of the fret edges have what looks to be clear coat on them. When I got the guitar the frets were green and filthy, looking at the photos close up I didn't do too proud a job at polishing them. 

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1317
    ICBM said:
    Those have definitely been dressed quite heavily - or more than once - and not really re-crowned enough, although not too bad... but at least they have actually been crowned!

There’s probably just about enough height left for a better crowning if you’re careful not to take the tops down, but after that it will need a refret.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^This100%^^^^^^^^^^
    Its a good job I play it with a light hand then. I think the thick clear coat on the fretboard adds to the low feeling of the frets, I do prefer this which is why I switched to Maple over Rosewood.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Vaiai said:
    This was quite a fun watch and quite instructional too

Thanks for posting this, really enjoyed it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    robgilmo said:
    Not on the tangs, they seem to be set right into the wood, not flush at all, as if the wood has swollen out around them. On the fingerboard most of the fret edges have what looks to be clear coat on them. 

Thank you. This suggests either that the fret wire is original or that it had been replaced and the 'board resprayed before you bought the guitar.
    Be seeing you.
    It's a 46 year old guitar so either could be a possibility , the finish on the fretboard does have tiny ripples in it, you have to look very closely to see them.