Pickups and Returns

What's Hot
Just about to try some different pickups in one of my guitars. With so much choice its difficult to know what to go for, and Im thinking that once you soldier the pickup cables thats it you can't return them to store, even though it would be a clean job. This could end up being an expensive journey! Is there any online dealer or actual shop that accepts returns of pickups that have been tried, or even accepts swops? Maybe I am simply dreaming here.

Failing that I will just have to wait for ones to come up on here or on eBay.

To give you an idea Im looking for a new HSH with the HB being 50mm spacing. I like the sound of the Suhr SSH+ and SSV set, and perhaps even the Suhr Aldrich in the bridge. Also, would like to try the Di Marzio Humbucker from Hell on the neck. I like the idea that it might sound somewhat like a single coil pickup on the neck.
My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8703
    There’s an cheaper way. Check the Classifieds. If you can’t find the pickups you want advertised there then start a WTB thread.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Yeah that was always the plan, but some pickups are harder to find. From the threads I read online it seems common in the US that dealers accept pickups back but only to swop for another set, which seems fair. I was just wondering if there is anywhere in the UK that does this.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    You don't have to solder them, you could use small  connecting boxes whilst you try the pickups out.... that way you can send them back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks JD50, I was wondering about doing something like that. Is there any particularly good type connector blocks I should use? I have loads of the normal electrical connector blocks.

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I accept swaps as long as they're in resalable condition. 
    Screw terminals would be a great idea to swap and change as has been previously mentioned.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6877
    Could just leave a little length of your old pickup wire soldered in place, and wrap the new pickup wires around them, bit of electrical tape to secure if its just for a brief test.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Yep, pretty good idea again. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    If you don't cut the cables short you only need to snip off a very short length to return them to 'as new' condition. I've never found a pickup with a cable so short that makes any difference when fitting it to another guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Good point again, thanks.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    If you don't cut the cables short you only need to snip off a very short length to return them to 'as new' condition. I've never found a pickup with a cable so short that makes any difference when fitting it to another guitar.
    Telecaster Thinline thinline neck pickups are an exception ... there is barely enough wire to connect as it is ... any shorter and game over.
    Oh and I except swaps for pickups too. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    granted it was used, but I had a Seymour Duncan the other day to fit that had about a 4" cable left on it - Customer brought it in to me to fit to an LP copy - I can only assume it came from something like a 335 and the previous owner just 'chopped' it off at the pick-up end, saving him the hassle of taking out the wiring loom etc
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

Telecaster Thinline thinline neck pickups are an exception ... there is barely enough wire to connect as it is ... any shorter and game over.
    Even 1/8"? That's all you need to test-fit a pickup and cut the solder cleanly off again. I admit some people won't be quite that careful.

guitars4you said:

granted it was used, but I had a Seymour Duncan the other day to fit that had about a 4" cable left on it - Customer brought it in to me to fit to an LP copy - I can only assume it came from something like a 335 and the previous owner just 'chopped' it off at the pick-up end, saving him the hassle of taking out the wiring loom etc
    That would definitely count as a used pickup at that point. It's a particular nuisance if it's a covered humbucker, since to change the cable properly you have to take the cover off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Tbh, why buy USA pickups?

We have the best pickup winders in the world here in the UK.
    Genuinely, if you can’t get the sound you are after from one of these guys, you won’t get it from anywhere else.
    I say that after 30 years of being down the rabbit hole of guitar pickup tinkering!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom