Series - Parallel Question

thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
A question that should hopefully be simple for the experts:

I believe that when 2 pickups are wired in parallel there is a frequency cancellation that gives it that distinct sound (possibly mostly midrange? but I'm not sure about that).

Question is - when they're wired in series instead, is there still the same cancellation or not?

If not, bonus points for a brief explanation why :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited December 2018
    There will still be some frequency cancellation.

Parallel interconnection of two pickups brings a reduction of overall d.c. resistance. This reduces the signal strength that reaches the amplifier which, in turn, determines some of the harmonic overtones produced by the amplifier if it is being overdriven.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    There is exactly the same frequency cancellation, but the sound is very different because the voltage outputs of the two coils are added together, and the inductance is four times as large, which produces a louder and much darker and thicker sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein