Strap button on Taylor 310

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
edited December 2018 in Acoustics
The black plastic strap button on the end of my Taylor 310 guitar is secure and well fitted. The problem is that it can only accommodate a strap with a very thin leather 'end'. I have a Levis badged strap that is old and beginning to fray around the strap keyhole and I was wondering if a standard metal strap button could be fitted in place of the plastic one. Easy enough to try it but wondering if there are any pitfalls with this job. I prefer the Levis strap as it is soft and easy on my back. I have to use a strap every time I play guitar due to the effects of being hit by a car driven by a  drunken driver. Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    I can't remember what it's like on these, but if it's a simple screwed-on button then it can just be replaced - there's nothing inside the guitar that would make it a problem. If it's a tapered endpin type it's a bit more tricky - it's possible to cut the end off and drill a hole into the 'plug' part. I usually glue the cut-off plug into the body (with superglue) to make sure it can't come out.

The best type for a thick strap are the 'Dunlop style' ones with a longer straight shaft and a fairly wide head, like this -

https://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Jim_Dunlop_Nickel_Guitar_Strap_End_Pin_Button.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsJfhBRCaARIsAO68ZM6wFfSGZ_mYL5Y9CW7s3ETguQYMXVqI3EuE3eVgsD6DUATh8ag-KQMaAikYEALw_wcB

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks @ICBM but the solution was simplicity itself. In a box of bits and pieces I found an old Fender badged guitar strap, probably ex Telecaster, that was the right length and it fits the strap buttons in a secure fashion.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

•  This little gizmo from Amazon is quite helpful and if it doesn’t fit you can always send it back 

D'Addario PW-AJL-01 Cinchfit Acoustic Jack Lock

• This little gizmo from Amazon is quite helpful and if it doesn’t fit you can always send it back

D'Addario PW-AJL-01 Cinchfit Acoustic Jack Lock