Is there an album you like that nobody else seems to?

What's Hot

Comments

• Come Taste the band by Deep Purple. 
    Heavy, Funky, Bluesy. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shoodurs said:
    Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 
    Great album especially when listening in full from start to finish, tis genius.
    Or was it Trevor Horn who was the genius? Great use of a fair light and Steve Howe guesting on guitar. Did he listen to Floyd before producing it ?
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    shoodurs said:
    Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 
    Great album especially when listening in full from start to finish, tis genius.
    Or was it Trevor Horn who was the genius?
    It was, but no-one said it wasn't :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7753

I like King Of Limbs a lot more than some of the more highly regarded post Ok Computer albums.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Whilst I’m at it - Almost Here by the Unbelievable Truth. 

Andy Yorke is at least a match for his brother talent wise, and in many ways better. Just love every track on that album. 
    My proudest rock and roll moment was accidentally being booked to support them at the height of their hype. The place was packed and the Unbelievable Truth were miserable sods who spent a week soundchecking and used every channel on the desk so we had to rely on backline alone.

At the time my brother was a reasonably well known TV personality, not that anyone in the audience would have known this.

Our keyboard player dared me to walk onto the stage and say "I hope you haven't just come to see us because of my famous brother."

That got a reaction...
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I used to love Red Rose Speedway, by Wings - some filler, but Little Lamb Dragonfly is a perfect pop song.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Always had a soft spot for Radiohead’s ‘Pablo Honey’ despite the universal dislike it has always received.

On the other end of the the spectrum, Poco’s ‘A Good Feeling To Know’ is possibly one of my favourite albums of all time and of the 70s country rock scene, whenever I put it on, no one seems to get it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Stuckfast said:
    MrBump said:
    The Tin Machine album - consistently in my top 5 albums of all time, always something new to hear whenever I listen to it.  But it was completely panned when released.

I quite liked that too, though I wouldn't go that far. But did anyone at all like the *second* Tin Machine album?
    Yeah, I like that one too - but it was more commercial, less use of vibrators, more use of "melody", whoever she is...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Fretwired said:
    Robert Fripp & Brian Eno - Evening star

The title track - Evening star

Love a bit of Eno & Fripp - thanks for posting that.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Does St. Anger count?  :o

To be fair, I wasn't that keen to start with, but like mould in a nice blue cheese, it's a bit of a grower and an acquired taste, but I now do honestly really like it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    wolsnah said:
    Does St. Anger count?  o

To be fair, I wasn't that keen to start with, but like mould in a nice blue cheese, it's a bit of a grower and an acquired taste, but I now do honestly really like it.

It certainly counts as "an album you like that nobody else seems to".

Although somebody else will probably come forward now and say they love it.

Personally I listened to it about three times when it came out and haven't played it since, so if it's a grower I'm never going to find out.... it's put me off everything they've done since, too.  I bought Death Magnetic and Hardwired... but I've listened to them once each.  I just can't be arsed with them.

Obviously I didn't buy Lulu....

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited January 2019
    Loads. Mostly stuff no one has heard of unfortunately.

Patrice - Ancient Spirit
    Great reggae, the only post Marley reggae album I can stand.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6SPqm0fTJUiKLWpTyy5T8e?si=Rrs7zc4LRAGu40MLsKQAdA

Matthew Herbert Big Band - There's you and there's me
    Brilliant musical and conceptual album. Intense, jarring, intelligent. Hoping this becomes a future classic.

Sahara Smith - Myth of the heart
    Includes Marc Ribot and other players from Alison Krauss & Plant's Raising Sand album. 
    She went on to Letterman but now languishes with no record deal. 
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2VlBAT1Hlzr2VfVxCdByXa?si=tUeC7IcSQGeJRQlrJd-PJQ

• wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Ha, I've heard two tracks off Lulu, safe to say, that's not a grower for me.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    viz said:
    Is that the Vai one? I have it somewhere if it is. He seemed like an uneasy fit to me but I haven't played it in about 20 years, maybe I'd like it now.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCBk8SFUkQ

Andy Summers with more Fripp.  The second track is bizarrely titled "What Kind of Man reads Playboy"
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    Is that the Vai one? I have it somewhere if it is. He seemed like an uneasy fit to me but I haven't played it in about 20 years, maybe I'd like it now.
    Yes, I think it’s absolutely excellent! His playing on some of the songs is his best ever. Side 2 is unbelievable. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • A lot of the albums in my collection are by acts who a lot of other people haven't even heard of let alone are familiar with enough to dislike. With the possible exception of some Fretboard people. Go in the place I used to drink at, Mention Camel and they say Who? I put some Camel on the juke box once and one of the wimmin said but there's no words in it. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Not saying that no-one likes these but they're often overlooked even by fans. I think they're among each band's best:

The Byrds - Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde

Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees ( from the 'after Peter Green but before the Americans period') 

Can - Saw Delight and S/T (2 later albums with Reebop and Rosko Gee from Traffic)