Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is Jeff Beck the most innovative guitarist ever?

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
And probably the best of all the 60's guitarists?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sure, he's innovate for his whammy bar usage. 

Most innovate ever......I don't know.  Maybe someone like Eddie Van Halen,Tom Scholz, Chet Atkins or Les Paul might get that title. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Jeff Beck splits the crowd around these here parts.

I'm not sure he's particularly innovative, but I'm in the camp that loves his playing.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    Innovative? Yes, undoubtedly. 

Had he written anything interesting since Hi Ho Silver Lining? The jury's out...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • But Jimi left the other 60's guitarist trailing in the dust...…. what he did with a guitar in three years is incredible

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I like Jeff Beck, but he's not a patch on Allan Holdsworth
  • Another one for Jimi here. No one did what he did back in the day, he was on another level
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Jimi
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17580
    tFB Trader
    Hendrix all the way.

My experience is that most non guitarists find Becks modern playing quite annoying to listen to.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Innovator -for sure, but there are probably even better examples.

Greatest ever guitar player - in my opinion, quite possibly - the footage of him at Ronnie Scots around 10 years ago (his peak IMO), is just sensational - articulate, dynamic, expressive, yet visceral. Not many players hit all of those qualities.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Yes.

/thread
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Philtre said:
    No.

/thread
    Corrected :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    No. Charlie Christian for being the first lead guitarist, Hendrix for his use of sound, probably Van Halen for technique, and Les Paul for overall technical innovation.

My experience is that most non guitarists find Becks modern playing quite annoying to listen to.
    And a lot of guitarists as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Django.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    ICBM said:

Yeah this. Really good for about 90 seconds then completely dull. I don't need to hear a solo guitar version of a Beatles song, no matter how clever or difficult it is.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11288
    I'd put Beck behind Les Paul, but both of them behind Hendrix.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22712
    ICBM said:

I'm with the non-guitarists.  And let's face it, I am essentially a non-guitarist.

He's extremely skilled but a large proportion of his music isn't very enjoyable to listen to.

Another vote for Hendrix.

• Love Jeff but Hendrix is my guy and Django beats both. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • I'd go with Hendrix, then Eddie Van Halen for innovation in a blues/rock context. At the time Hendrix created sounds that hadn't been heard before.

But Jeff Beck has an important place and, of the three, I like his playing/music the most overall. Blow By Blow and Wired were landmark albums for me.

It's not a competition.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    For those of you who don’t get him, I understand his instrumental music may not be to everyone’s taste - I struggle with a lot of it - but he has spent a lot of career being a great sideman too.

Listen to this with Imogen Heap, the way he provides perfect accompaniment, stays out the way when needed, pushes it when needed. And when he does hit a couple of solos at the end, can you imagine his peers, say Clapton or Page pulling off anything that would fit such a song.

https://youtu.be/z79pgPn357g

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jimi was great but the likes of Beck and Holdsworth eclipsed what he did - who knows what would have happened if Jimi had lived. He was due to record with Miles Davis which would have pushed him. Beck is unique.

I think you have to define innovate - Van Halen is good but hardly innovative. Tapping's been around since the dawn of stringed instruments and Steve Hacket was doing it in Genesis long before Eddie came along.

If you ask Steve Vai there's only one guy - Alan Holdsworth. Vai admitted he couldn't actually work out what Holdsworth was doing most of the time.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom