Piano Aquisition Syndrome

What's Hot
It wasn’t the plan when I got up this morning but I accidentally drove 90 minutes to Andertons and looked at pianos. 

I left having paid paid for a Roland RP102 which they’ll send on on Friday 

I was totally clueless as to what I was after (other than I wanted it to not be a stage piano on an X stand - it’s going in the front room) but 2 of the staff seemed pretty pro the Roland - and I like that it can be controlled via Bluetooth 

Now to find some suitable adult learner resources - any suggestions?
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 484
    I've only just started learning so I'm not sure how good it really is but this is what I've got

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0882848186/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_TyslCb9FYK27P

Seems okay so far and has good reviews on Amazon.

I've also go a free 3 month trial on skoove.com. Haven't tried it yet but it looks fairly interactive especially if you can hook up your piano to a laptop/iPad. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    RedRabbit said:
    I've only just started learning so I'm not sure how good it really is but this is what I've got

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0882848186/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_TyslCb9FYK27P

Seems okay so far and has good reviews on Amazon.

I've also go a free 3 month trial on skoove.com. Haven't tried it yet but it looks fairly interactive especially if you can hook up your piano to a laptop/iPad. 
    I actually own that book from about 10 years ago when I decided I was going to learn but never did anything about it lol (so if no other fantastic ideas strike me I may just start with that one) 

Have you seen this guy's Youtube channel? He gives tips and performs all the pieces from various tutor books - here's his Alfred stuff : 

I was just nosing online at the modern app stuff - Skoove, Flowkey, Simply Piano, Yousician - they all seem to have something to offer and might be a fun way to break up learning. I may give one of them a try 
    Red ones are better. 
    ahh forum - you delightfully crappy thing you - let's try that link in a way it doesn't mangle : 

Red ones are better. 
    nope - it's done it again 

just go to channel "

Lets Play Piano Methods" and find the Alfred stuff - it's all in a playlist 

Red ones are better. 
    I'll have a look at the YouTube channel. Having the book and some video backup should be a good combo. 

Had a quick look at Skoove last night. Quite impressed with the idea - you can either hook up you piano with usb/midi or use your laptop/iPads mic if using an acoustic piano. If need be you can also use your laptop's keyboard - can't see it working well once you get beyond the basic middle C position but it's okay for the beginning material. There could be more feedback if you make a mistake and the timing is a little screwy (it'll often tell you you've made a mistake on the next note if you hold the current note for its full duration) but, overall, I'm quite impressed. The fact it uses more pop and rock tunes means it could hold your interest more than a more classical orientated method though some of the simplified versions of tunes I've encountered so far are barely recognisable. Not sure how much a subscription is but I'd say it's worth giving it a go. Probably best suited to a device you can sit on your piano's music stand and, sadly, it isn't available on Android .
    I decided to sign up for this:

https://artistworks.com/christie-peery

it seems to be a very formal approach to the fundamentals, which is what I want (rather than something to knock out some pop tunes quickly) - coupon code YEAR25 worked for me to get a 25% discount on the year - in the unlikely event you decide to sign up for this (or one of the other 2 piano instructors) let me know and I can send you an invite that gets us both an additional free month ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    I've already used the 25% discount on artist works on another course. Don't really want to sign up for another at full price. 

Keep us updated on how you progress with it though.  Are you planning on doing the video submissions?
    That's the plan but who knows.

Worryingly I just read someones online rant about the course and the fact that some of the required sheet music is no longer available :-/ We shall see... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24169
    Have a few lessons with a proper teacher to get you started.

Will really help with hand positioning and comfort. I haven't played for years but I remember it making a huge difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My piano arrived a bit broken :-( 
    Didn't spot it until fully assembled. It'll probably all need to be origami'd back into the box - grr 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

it seems to be a very formal approach to the fundamentals, which is what I want (rather than something to knock out some pop tunes quickly) - coupon code YEAR25 worked for me to get a 25% discount on the year - in the unlikely event you decide to sign up for this (or one of the other 2 piano instructors) let me know and I can send you an invite that gets us both an additional free month ;-) 
    ok whatever you do don't sign up for that particular course. The additional sheet music book requirements are far more expensive than the course itself FML. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    My piano arrived a bit broken :-( 
    Didn't spot it until fully assembled. It'll probably all need to be origami'd back into the box - grr 
    What's wrong with it?  I had a problem with mine where a couple of keys were staying down after being played.  I assume they weren't quite seated properly and a nice, firm press sorted it out but I did think I was going to have to send it back to Andertons for a while. 

TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

ok whatever you do don't sign up for that particular course. The additional sheet music book requirements are far more expensive than the course itself FML. 
    Any chance you can get a refund or transfer to a different course? I've never had to contact them so I'm afraid I don't know what their customer service is like.
    It’s the lid/cover - and it isn’t designed to be removable 

https://imgur.com/a/IwfEsSo

Re the sheet music I’m pondering asking for a refund/change - but I also found an American dude on a forum who has it all and prepared to sell it on so may just do that 
    Red ones are better. 
    Either way I’ve had the boys since it arrived and therefore not got near it ! Zach (9) is playing Simply piano as I type 
    Red ones are better. 
    I'd definitely be getting in touch with Andertons over that damage.

I started properly on Wednesday last week. Something I didn't expect was the difference in finger strength between hands. Left hand is fine (pressumably from guitar) but my right hand is struggling a bit.  Little finger is weak and there's very little independence between little and ring finger. Shouldn't really be surprising but it wasn't something I was expecting. Guess I'll just have to keep practicing. 
  • I spent the first 3 months playing scales, dexterity exersises and little licks through progressions.