Guitarist getting back into bass. Query on rig setup...

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
edited January 2019 in Bass
Hi all, I used to play bass in a trad/folk rock band years ago. I played with a plectrum most of the time, but used my fingers only depending on the tempo of the songs! I had a simple enough set up, just a bass into a Peavey amp, which did the job. Since then I played guitar and sang in various covers bands.
I haven't been playing for a few years live, and plan on getting back into it this year and would prefer to play bass and sing, either backing vocals or whatever. I must say, I really enjoyed playing bass live.

Bad habits means I'll probably use a plectrum too!

Would it or could it be a good idea to have a bass preamp pedal, like the Dug Pinnick or EHX Battalion, and go into a powered speaker or just a basic loud bass combo? I like the idea of this tidy set up.

Or would it be better to stay traditional and go straight to a half decent amp? I'd keep it solid state, and there are so many options there, it's hard to know where to start sometimes! (Budget dependent too)

With so much gear out there, I'm thinking of a smart/easy/tidy way to go about being gig ready.

I have a Mike Dirnt Squier bass, but might switch to one of the Musicman Sterling Sting Rays, or something similar. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Nothing wrong with playing bass with a plectrum. I switch between plectrum and fingers depending on the song.

As for rig, yes there are loads of choices capable of producing a good sound. For a lightweight, easy to move rig a bass head from the likes of Markbass or Aguilar TH range paired with a Barefaced cab would be ideal. Loads of homework to do but that's half the fun!
  • fftc said:
    Nothing wrong with playing bass with a plectrum. I switch between plectrum and fingers depending on the song.

As for rig, yes there are loads of choices capable of producing a good sound. For a lightweight, easy to move rig a bass head from the likes of Markbass or Aguilar TH range paired with a Barefaced cab would be ideal. Loads of homework to do but that's half the fun!
    I remember I borrowed a Markbass for a gig once. It sounded great!
  • In terms of watts, what should I be looking at?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24255
    Because of the marketing departments at bass companies not being entirely honest with power ratings I wouldn't try to gig anything under 500W

If you like Mark Bass the new Marcus Miller signature amps (The Little Marcus range) is very good and a real improvement on their standard ones. Basic tone is the same but the EQ controls have been adjusted to have far better control. It is not just a slappers amp despite the name on it - it's just a really well specc'd amp that fixes the previous versions EQ difficulties.

There are a few new year offers on them too.

There is a superb 2x10 combo with the Little Mark 500W head in it. It's loud, sounds good and the combo has a tilt back design so you can point it up at you or at the crowd, whatever you need.

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/marcus-miller-cmd-102-500/

It's got an XLR out to run it into the PA as well if you need more volume.Or you can add another cab in the future (if you do, get another 2x10 and not a 1x15. If you like what you have get more of it - don't get different!).

IMHO that combo is a contender for best bass combo on earth.

The only reason I haven't got one is that I spend silly money on Darkglass amps and Barefaced cabs instead!

• I'm fairly sure, when I borrowed the MB head that time, it was a LM. I had looked at the Quilter bass head, but so many options.... That MB 2x10 combo looks tidy! Something like that would be fine. I'd probably use an overdrive or fuzz type pedal from time to time, as I plan on playing some rock! :) Maybe a little multi effects pedal might be the handiest option here...
    The Little Marcus is basically an improved LM so it sounds right up your street.

Then the world is your oyster for bass drives and fuzzes at the moment. The Dug Pinnick one you mentioned is excellent (I'm selling one - it's on hold for someone at the moment), then there are the amazing Darkglass pedals, EBS, AmpTweaker etc etc Tons of options.

Or you could go completely modern and get a Line 6 Helix and then pick a good powered FRFR PA cab to go with it. Something like the Yamaha DXR10 at sensible money or the frankly awesome Barefaced Bass FR800 at lots more money.

The real question is - what is your budget?

Ideally find a shop that has the MB combo in stock and some good bass pedals so you can try it.
    I know Andertons stock that combo and have the Darkglass pedals in stock most of the time.

The DG pedals have different flavours. They are advertised as B3K = metal, and Vintage Microtubes = traditional rock but they are both more versatile than that, and react differently to different amps.

I play in a 25 piece swing band and I use the supposedly metal B3K to fatten up my bass. At relatively low settings of course, but it sounds thick and chewy and perfect for sitting under a load of trombones.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    If you're trying to keep it simple, then a proper bass amp is your best bet - you can DI it through the PA as well if you need more volume in the room than on stage. The PA must have subs though, or you'll mess up the mix.

If you're on a budget and going for an old-school solid-state amp - and don't mind the weight - 150W through a single 15" or a 4x10" is plenty, and a 2x10" might be. If it's a modern lightweight amp then at least 300W, or more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll have to work out my budget first, then take it from there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Was it a "Burnham" or something like that - 100W all valve and far louder than it had any right to be?

I've only seen a couple in 30 years of playing and they always go for silly money.
    Weighed about as much as jupiter though.
    I'll have to work out my budget first, then take it from there!
    If it's not that much, you could do a lot worse than another old Peavey - although they appear to be made from concrete and depleted uranium, which is mainly why they're so cheap. Not long ago I sold a MkVIII head and a 4x10" for a friend who was feeling the pain of advancing years a little... for £200, to a young and fit chap who wanted a good cheap but reliable gigging amp. My friend had replaced them with a MarkBass Little Mark III and a 1x12", which together weigh less than the Peavey *head* :). It doesn't quite have the sheer volume and authority of the Peavey, but it's not at all bad and most places don't want that sort of stage volume now anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Was it a "Burnham" or something like that - 100W all valve and far louder than it had any right to be?
    Burman (or, possibly, Boogie).

In the mid to late Seventies, big bands performing in big venues were expected to use physically big amplifiers. i.e. Stacks or Twin Reverb combos.

The Burman and MESA Boogie 1x12” combos were as loud as a stack but in a much smaller package.

Back on topic.

The v.3 Fender Rumble seems quite popular on tFB. For gigging purposes, ignore all but the 500 and 800 variants.

The tc electronic RH450 and Staccato ‘51 heads are fine. The 450 Classic is equally loud but skimps on desirable features. 

I am surprised that Bridgehouse has not posted in this Discussion to recommend the old Marshall DBS series. (The 7215 combo is unsightly but manageable.) :)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    As an alternative to the Peavey, a used Harke HA3500 head would be very cheap and they sound great.

The newer LH500 is also very good even if the EQ is not as comprehensive. Stay away from their TX line - they are crap and unreliable.

A cheap but awesome cab would be the Marshall VBC412. It's 4ohm so you could only use 1 with most cabs but its a brilliant cab. It's actually my favourite bass cab of all time, but they weigh 110lb so I haven't got them anymore!

They sometimes pop up on ebay at £150 or so. Amazing value if you can lift it. 
    Those TC combos are actually discontinued. I had the head for a while - was great clean but the built in drive wasn't very good.

The Ampeg PF500 is very nice. The early production run did have some faults (a good few years ago) but they seem to have sorted that out now. Lots of happy players.

Obviously it sounds like an Ampeg and only an Ampeg, but if you like that then it's a good choice for a pick playing rocker!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The cheaper TC bass stuff offers questionable reliability in my experience.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Agreed. The BH series is a cut too far. (MDF cabinets. Ugly cosmetics.)The BG series seems fragile. Could be the Behringer influence.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'd rule them out then (TC) for now.
    Agreed. The BH series is a cut too far. (MDF cabinets. Ugly cosmetics.)The BG series seems fragile. Could be the Behringer influence.
    If anything their quality and reliability improved after the Behringer tie-in.

Behringer's Ashdown rip-offs are better-made and more reliable than the real thing too - although very difficult to repair if they do fail, which is one thing that's less bad about most Ashdowns.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286

Then set your budget and hit the Amps and Cabs For Sale forum...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use my old Sound City head. Turned out it was a bass head anyway. Into a Hartke 410.

An old PA would do the trick too. Many a 150w PA with cabs on Gumtree for a ton or so. Generally