I need to stop buying stuff....

paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 831
edited January 2019 in Other Instruments
Normally a guitar related problem for me - and I do still want to UG my AFX2 to an AFX3 once the FC12 is also available.  However I decided this time last year to learn "proper" piano - but things escalated.  In the last 12 months Ive bought (not in this oprder though):

Roland RD 2000 stage Piano 
Roland FA 07 workstation
Novation Peak
2 Keys stands (once used as a desk)
Kitchen Worktop materials to make the desk
a Yamaha DBS 12 PA top (as a stage monitor/backling for the keys)
a Yamaha HS8 sun (to complement my A5Xs for low end synth stuff)
a Yamaha MG12UX mixer - as a USB interface and main mixer
a Behringer Xenyx 1002B - as a keys sub mixer on the stand
Prosonus Stidio  One 4 (replacing Reaper as mu DAW of choice - though ill keep reaper installed)
Prosonus Fader Port 2
Several foot pedals(2 Roland pedals like the sustain one included with the RD, a Moog CC pedal, and 2 latching switches for the Peak).
Lots of cables, USB Hubs, hum filters and the like.

Adding it up - I must be up to around £5.5 to £6k - which is frightening....

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    It's very brave of you to add it all up. I don't like doing that, which I believe is known as burying one's head in the sand. As someone who also bought Studio One 4 in the past year, I admire your self restraint in resisting the FaderPort 16. However, as one who is a proud owner of the FP16, I can make a case for you having both - your FP2 can be a dedicated master fader  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2019

...Prosonus Stidio  One 4 (replacing Reaper as mu DAW of choice - though ill keep reaper installed)
    Prosonus Fader Port 2...

If you're recording that's another slippery slope. I've spent a small fortune on VSTs and VSTi's, which are are just a few mouse clicks away and (kind of) sneak in the back door. 

It's not a competition.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    re:OP - Don't we all dear !!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I'm not going to list all of the stuff that I've bought, tried out and passed along in the last year or so. It'd make me look like an indecisive eejut! Ms goldtop just rolls her eyes when I come home with yet another box.
  • Bill_S said:
    It's very brave of you to add it all up. I don't like doing that, which I believe is known as burying one's head in the sand. As someone who also bought Studio One 4 in the past year, I admire your self restraint in resisting the FaderPort 16. However, as one who is a proud owner of the FP16, I can make a case for you having both - your FP2 can be a dedicated master fader  ;)
    I dont have the space for the 16 - or a would have.  I have my MG12XU on my desk as it is (for a general audio only mixer - keys in one in out, AFX in another, PC in a 3rd, PS4  in a 4th all stereo - then a Condenser mic and a Beta 57 in 2 mono channels).   When Im not recording thats all I need. Add to that a Power Station for guitar to real cab, and a riser with my monitor, PS4, hard drives on - Im a little tight.

Id LOVE for the MG12XU to be available as a duel function audio mixer and control surface usable as a control surface....even at £200 or so more than the standard version it would be worth paying for - but its not (as far as I know).

Im used to an old Alpha Track when I ran Pro Tools LE a fews back - so a single channel control is fine for me.

• ...Prosonus Stidio  One 4 (replacing Reaper as mu DAW of choice - though ill keep reaper installed)
    Prosonus Fader Port 2...

If you're recording that's another slippery slope. I've spent a small fortune on VSTs and VSTi's, which are are just a few mouse clicks away and (kind of) sneak in the back door. 

Im not actually planning on using VSTs really - apart from any that are included, or are free downloads.  I have the 3 Synths to produce all those noises, and the guitars are always real.  I have a DX7 free plug in I used in Reaper (as FM is really the only thing Im lacking in depth from hardware) so Im probably good.   I did just download a free Plugin for auto panning (not sure if S1 does that or not as the hardware is in the post so am running the Demo at present) which works fab on a synth arpegiation I recorded. 
  • link to my first track in years after getting all this stuff

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147260/first-track-in-ages?new=1
  • Well - the Yamaha MG mixer is going back....

Something really weird abut the USB interface part.  0bd on he mixre goes into the DAW at -16db.  0db out of the DAW goes into the mixer peaking (peaks at +10)  and a -16db out of the DAW goes into the mixer at 0db.

I have other interfaces (AFX/RD2000/FA) - and the AFX has levels out.  0db out of the AFX via the same USB cable hits the DAW at 0db.

Something odd with Yamahas driver or converters.  I had a second mixer to try - and its the same so its not actually hardware "fault" as such - but I cant work with it. 

Even playback via Media player is HOT - I have to reduce my PCs audio outs to 30 (rather than 80-100_ to get a decent signal into the mixer via USB.   

As a "mixer" rather than an interface though its great.

Replacement is going to be a Studiocraft Signature 12 MTK (which I found for practically the same price as the MG).  Still has twin bus's which I wanted and a USB interface (though only 3 rather than 4 stereo channels which is a little bit of a pain.

the Plus side is its 14 out 12 in USB though.  Recordig multiple instruments is now possible (though cant see me doing it very often).  More importantly though - it means I can route channels out of my DAW, into a mixer channel, and back into the DAW - either as bounced stereo track (say mixing drums, or guitars) or just a second track.  Effectively gives me 12 real slider control of my Daw Levels :)

I have a Fader Port 2, which is great for automation, flicking around the DAW and the like (as well as track level control with the motorised fader of course) - but for "sub mixing" a group - and final mixing of tracks (as long as there arnt more than 12, but If I sub mix drums, guitars, BVs etc first shouldnt be a problem)  - the Studiocraft will come in very handy.