Sire v7 version 2 bases...anyone bought one

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
The V1 at £349 seem a good buy.
About to pull the trigger but would appreviaye any thoughts here. Thanks Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The originals are excellent value for money.

The v.2 feature upgrade list includes much that is good, a few things that are a matter of personal preference and a few accessories that are not strictly necessary.

There is an argument for buying a v.1 at a discount and, then, performing tasks such as fingerboard edge tumbling yourself. A gloss finished neck can be lightly abraded to achieve a satin-matt feel. Pickups, you could upgrade yourself. This might be critically important if you require noise-free operation for stage or recording.

There is an argument to be made for finding one of the v.1 M2 or M3 models. Their pickup cavities should accept EMG40 series-compatible replacement pickups, giving you plenty of choice about how your instrument will sound.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2019
    Generally, they're sound basses and I have friends who play more expensive basses, like Spectors and Dingwalls, and they all have a Sire in their arsenal and are happy to gig it.

I bought a 4 string V7 soon after they came out and when you could only get them from Thomann.I love it and it's versatile, decent-sounding and easy to play and has been serving me well for the last couple of years. It's hard to believe that this cost sub-£300 new at the time and even now, they're still well-priced and punch well above their weight.

I played their cheaper model (V3) more recently, which is mahogany instead of the more usual Alder or Ash, and I thought it was excellent. As always, you need to play a few of the same to find 'the one' but I may well invest in a black one of those as a spare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Thanks all..helpful!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I've just bought an all black V3 from Andertons - they're now the bargainistic price of £199!!

Same wonderful preamp as my V7 and no idea how this company does it.

I tried a couple and settled on my one as I thought it was the best player of the bunch, but it was also the lightest (it's mahogany but weighs less than my Alder V7) and I've been told that Sire weights are somewhat inconsistent.