White-ish dust/powder in guitar?

What's Hot
markvmarkv Frets: 459
I've just noticed a white-ish/beige powder inside my guitar. I can see it on the top's bracing and on the side. The photo below shows it on the treble side of the inside of the top bout, but there's more in the corresponding position on the bass side. It's dry and comes off if wiped. There's a bit of a musty smell in the guitar maybe, or maybe I'm imagining it. It's not strong, if it is there.

Any thoughts about what might this be, what might be causing it and what would be a good way of removing and preventing recurrence, if such a treatment is needed?

The guitar is a Morris, made in Korea and bought new about 20 years ago from Ivor Mairants - not particularly valuable but I like it

I've had a search on the internet and of course there are many, many answers. :pensive: 

Thanks for any help!

https://i.imgur.com/t7W05vS.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Cocaine  . Definately cocaine. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    It is usually polishing compound from manufacturing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Its favourite habitat is machinehead holes through headstocks.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    That looks like mould.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Thanks for the answers so far.

p90fool said:
    That looks like mould.
    Yes, that was my concern, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Unfortunately I don't remember seeing it before ... which could mean it's only recently appeared, or it's always been there and I am just very unobservant, or have a bad memory, either of which could well be true.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    It's polishing compound residue - very common on cheaper guitars where they don't block the soundhole when buffing the guitar. You might not have noticed it before because it's in a place you rarely see unless you're looking on purpose.

They use a big buffing wheel and it flings off the compound sideways as it passes over the soundhole. You can see how it's been thrown against the side wall of the guitar and the brace has left a 'shadow' and caught some of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

octatonic said:
    It is usually polishing compound from manufacturing.

ICBM said:
    It's polishing compound residue - very common on cheaper guitars where they don't block the soundhole when buffing the guitar. You might not have noticed it before because it's in a place you rarely see unless you're looking on purpose.

They use a big buffing wheel and it flings off the compound sideways as it passes over the soundhole. You can see how it's been thrown against the side wall of the guitar and the brace has left a 'shadow' and caught some of it.
    Aha thanks guys - that's set my mind at rest!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    If there is a musty smell don't overlook mold - like mildew 
    Wipe down with a little diluted bleach on a cloth

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• do you use a plectrum?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • do you use a plectrum?
    good point - if it were under the strings I'd have suggested ground fingernails
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Online I've seen about 50% people recommending this, and 50% people saying "omg don't let bleach anywhere near your guitar!" ;-) So good to have a recommendation from someone who knows what they're talking about, thanks! I assume you mean inside the guitar?

do you use a plectrum?
    Yes, most of the time.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    have you tried hydrogen peroxide n lemon juice as an alternative bleaching agent ?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    markv said:
    Thanks for the answers so far.

p90fool said:
    That looks like mould.
    Yes, that was my concern, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Unfortunately I don't remember seeing it before ... which could mean it's only recently appeared, or it's always been there and I am just very unobservant, or have a bad memory, either of which could well be true.
    To remove all doubt you could just taste it, it'll taste like mouldy bread. 

It might clear up that embarrassing itch, too. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That could be woodworm.