Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

is John Lennon over-rated?

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
And is Ringo under-rated?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850

I think Ringo had a fabulous feel, his playing on the solo of Something was completely free of ego, and allowed George to be so expressive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

yes, or no.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I imagine so. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    edited January 2019
    John Lennon did some great stuff and some poopy self-indulgent rubbish; I'm happy listening to the great stuff!

Ringo is a fine drummer; there's a saying that drummers turn their noses up at Ringo, until you ask them to play his stuff. I think he was absolutely perfect for The Beatles.

He even backed Billy Squier, so he gets bonus points for that!

And this one is really good, with Richard Marx, Rod Argent and Sheila E.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always leaned towards McCartney, but no, Lennon is not overrated. Feel free to post some song you’ve written to show me I’m wrong  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822
    I'm not really a fan, so I don't think there's much point me commenting on Lennon's "ratedness". 

I do think the Beatles, collectively, and I guess Lennon and McCartney in particular, made some pretty remarkable music which really does hold up today.  And I don't think any of them did anything subsequently which had anything like the same magic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • At their best, every single one of the Beatles was an absolute genius.

At their worst, every single one of them wrote some absolutely turgid shite and collectively they didn't half come up with some jumped up nursery rhymes on occasion. 

For me, Lennon's solo efforts are better than Ringo but worse than the others. Can't stand Imagine, myself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I just need to leave this here... Chuck Berry's face at 1:19...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    What a silly post. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Anyone who can write songs like In My Life and Strawberry Fields is alright by me. I don’t like much of his solo work though, I think he needed the catalyst of the band and George Martin to make him work at his highest level. 

Ringo was a great drummer, you just need to listen to Come Together to prove that. Rubbish singer though.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Ringo but I can’t get past, ‘you were in a car crash and you lost your hair’. 

I think Yoko insisted that line stay to destroy the band. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    As one half of the Lennon & McCartney song writing team he was perfect. His rougher edge balanced McCartney's suger-sweet tendencies to the benefit of their music. That balance was absent when they went their separate ways, with Lennon being sometimes brilliant but often awful whereas the unchecked McCartney was free to produce dross like Mull of Kintyre. They never should have separated.

Ringo was perfect for the Beatles IMO regardless of whether he is over- or under-rated.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Jimbro66 said:
    As one half of the Lennon & McCartney song writing team he was perfect. His rougher edge balanced McCartney's suger-sweet tendencies to the benefit of their music. That balance was absent when they went their separate ways, with Lennon being sometimes brilliant but often awful whereas the unchecked McCartney was free to produce dross like Mull of Kintyre. They never should have separated.

Ringo was perfect for the Beatles IMO regardless of whether he is over- or under-rated.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. I prefer Lennons solo stuff to any of the others. I think he wrote more quality songs during his short solo career than McCartneys managed in the last 50 years.
    That said, any of his collaborations with Yoko are utter dross. Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Walls and Bridges are all fine albums, Mind Games not so good.
  • SidNewton said:
    Jimbro66 said:

That pretty much sums it up for me. I prefer Lennons solo stuff to any of the others. I think he wrote more quality songs during his short solo career than McCartneys managed in the last 50 years.
    That said, any of his collaborations with Yoko are utter dross. Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Walls and Bridges are all fine albums, Mind Games not so good.
    Wasn’t Mind Games a May Pang/Lost Weekend record?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited January 2019
    It depends (as with many things) whether you rate occasional brilliance (with occasional awful moments) over "consistently quite good" as to whether you prefer Lennon or McCartney in my opinion.

I think Ringo gets a fairly good rap these days to be honest, I don't hear much snobbery in his direction anyway
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    SidNewton said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Wasn’t Mind Games a May Pang/Lost Weekend record?
    I think so. Wall and Bridges was as well but for me there are more quality songs on that album. Some of the lyrics on Walls and Bridges are amongst his best in my opinion.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Jimbro66 said:

Well, a lot of the songs were written by one or the other, as opposed to collaborations, but they'd made an agreement to publish them as Lennon & McCartney.