Planet of Zeus

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
Just wondering if anyone is a fan of these guys.

I bumped into a random guy in a pub in Edinburgh during the Christmas holidays (we got speaking as we both had Clutch T shirts on) and having spoken to him for a few minutes about the recent gig in Glasgow, he recommended checking out Planet of Zeus. I'd never heard of them but he reckoned if I liked Clutch, I like them... so I looked them up on Apple Music and promptly forgot all about them until yesterday. I listened to two of their albums back to back and am really impressed by them.

I suppose I'd describe them as a great balance of modern hard rock (bordering on metal maybe?) with some blues flavour. Anyway, bad description aside, when I listened to this album yesterday I instantly loved it. I'm definitely going to listen to this loads and now want to go and check more of their stuff.

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if it was anyone else's cup of tea.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Listened to the first three tracks. I like it. Pretty retro, I’d have said - but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the guitar tones reminded me of Lenny Kravitz... who I’ve got a lot of time for.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I agree on reflection. It’s more retro than modern. Really enjoying their stuff!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22773
    Thanks, this is my kind of stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard them before (maybe I have and I forgot!) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No problem! Same here! I’m listening to them again today and loving it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22773
    After listening to two of their albums on Spotify last night, I think they're sometimes trying too hard to emulate the Clutch sound.  And the fake American accents are are bit odd....  

But I like it, they're good songs, I'm going to listen to the rest of their stuff this week.
    They are certainly very similar in places. The accent hasn't bothered me so far, listening to them I just forget and think they're American, even though I know they're not. It's funny... there was a thread on here a while ago about singing accents which made me think about this stuff more since then. Even just singing in a foreign language must be really tough.