Ancient, broken upright bass - is there anyone who'd like such a thing?

GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2620
edited January 2019 in Bass
I really don't know where would be right for this, but here seems like the best place for it.

About twenty years ago I bought an ancient upright bass (in what I later realised was a blatant bait-and-switch on the part of a still-extant musical instrument shop, but we'll let that pass) - 5/8-sized (so a little smaller than the more common 3/4 sized basses that most people play) and with ILEA omninously stratched into the body at the bottom (so it had seen a lot of hard service before it reached me). 

I played it for a few years, and at one point a flight case came down on it hard and broke it a bit, but nothing to write it off. Then it went into storage for a long time, and it turned out that when it was being moved from one unit to another it had been broken - the back had split away from the sides.

I've not used it for many, many years and couldn't do so now if I wanted to, so I'd like to be rid of it. Throwing away musical instruments is just wrong for me, so before I resort to that I wondered if anyone here knows if there's anyone who'd like a broken upright bass for practising instrument repair skills on, as a project or even if they think they can refurbish it and sell it on at a great profit. 

As far as I'm concerned anyone can have it for any reason for free as long as they're prepared to collect it from outside a storage unit in Kennington, South London. 

Would this be the right sort of place for that?

(I realise there are probably appropriate Facebook groups, but I've no idea what they are or how I'd find them.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    It might be worth moving this to Bass, or Making & Modding, or both - I'm not sure how many of us look in here that often.

I'm in Scotland so not for me unfortunately!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks for that - I've moved it to Bass. I realise it's an odd subject, so I wasn't sure where the best place was. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Hi, I play some upright. Do you know if if has solid woods, country of origin and do you have any pics? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    Loads of upright players on Basschat.

Someone there will want it, I'm sure.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2620
    edited January 2019
    Thanks! I'll have a look. It's really nothing special - the fact that it was a school instrument means it's probably plywood, so it's more of interest to someone who wants a project than anything else. That said, the damage is mostly around the seams rather than the core (neck, etc), which suggests it might be doable. I had photos (from when I was trying to complain to the storage unit people), but can't find them at the moment.