fingersyle material - folky/traditional/jazz standards/pop - i've dropped myself in it with a gig

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
I'm a fair acoustic fingerstyle guitarist with a classical style.  I have about 20 mins of old material which i can work up - Freylekh (clive carrol arr), Anji, and i'm working on autumn leaves (again clive carrol arr).  I've also got some classical stuff - Lagrima, Cavatina, Romanza and Capricho Arabe which are fine albeit need work to get to performance standard

I need to bulk out to about 40 mins I guess - so i'm after nice arrangements of intermediate stuff  - no more grade 7+ as it'll kill me getting a set together - and anyway i'm in a band rawking out so am not a full time classical-head.

so i'm after links to nice arrangements (with Tab) or books with nice arrangements (audio and tab a must) - intermediate as i said - Jazz standards, pop tunes, etc

I'm also thinking about lobbing in classical gas
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    BTW oohhh shit

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    nickp said:
    I'm a fair acoustic fingerstyle guitarist with a classical style.  I have about 20 mins of old material which i can work up - Freylekh (clive carrol arr), Anji, and i'm working on autumn leaves (again clive carrol arr).  I've also got some classical stuff - Lagrima, Cavatina, Romanza and Capricho Arabe which are fine albeit need work to get to performance standard

I need to bulk out to about 40 mins I guess - so i'm after nice arrangements of intermediate stuff  - no more grade 7+ as it'll kill me getting a set together - and anyway i'm in a band rawking out so am not a full time classical-head.

so i'm after links to nice arrangements (with Tab) or books with nice arrangements (audio and tab a must) - intermediate as i said - Jazz standards, pop tunes, etc

I'm also thinking about lobbing in classical gas
    Nicked my old repertoire there, including Classical Gas

i used to do Cavatina and Cats as well, and I had a book that had arrangements for musicals, which included the Theme from Arthur which works surprisingly well, 

there’s a few fingerpicking books out there for Simon & Garfunkel and the Beatles.  Blackbird obviously and Yesterday works well too.

ive been playing some Muddy Waters stuff recently, that works quite nicely for a different feel

good luck :)

• Working on this at the moment 
    https://youtu.be/7msFCtxZ_V0
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    With or without vocals?

This is a nice little arrangement of a familiar tune and probably not too difficult bearing in mind what you are already playing

Jimbro66 said:
    With or without vocals?

This is a nice little arrangement of a familiar tune and probably not too difficult bearing in mind what you are already playing

oh god no vocals !  Instrumental only :)
    nice folks.  mnah mnah is a kind of bonkers :)  It's a good tune tho

ain't misbehaving is exactly where I'm at - that sort of stuff thanks
  • Try "Tenderly" by Kenny Burrell. I murder this from time to time. The intro is pretty easy but gets more difficult with the syncopation in the 2nd section.

Georgia On My Mind - Martin Taylor version. there is a simpler Russ Shipton version of this.

A tune that is fairly easy to learn is John Loudermilk's Windy & Warm. Here is Doc Watson's version (thumb pick is optional)

Another in the same vein but a little more of a challenge is the Jerry Reed tune Yes Ma'am

It works equally well on acoustic guitar (thumb pick again optional)
    thanks folks for suggestions - saved to my you tube playlist to look at later :)

A few more suggestions:

Lighthearted in a similar way to Mnah Mnah is The Pink Panther Theme which works well for guitar.

Tommy Emmanuel’s Angelina is a pretty melody and not too challenging.

Scott Joplin’s The Entertainer also works well for fingerstyle guitar.

Maybe some Beatles songs?  Quite a few possibilities from up-tempo songs like She’s A Woman combining rhythm and lead lines to their prettier songs like Michelle.

So many possibilities, so little time :D 
    Jimbro66 said:
    A few more suggestions:

So many possibilities, so little time :D 
    never a truer word :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Pat Metheny, One Quiet night has some good arrangements
    you can buy the book
    Don't know why , Ferry across the Mersey

also: What's it all about has a few, Alfie and And I love her
    I merged and altered 2 or 3 arrangements of Yesterday, must be a favourite that one for a lot of people
    Charlie Byrd is another option:

Killing me softly
    Norwegian wood

Redemption song, add a melody line in there maybe?
  • Never going back again by Fleetwood Mac?