Marshall Origin - now the dust has settled, hows everyone getting on with it??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've seen loads of threads about the origin, but not many from people who are using them.

I wondered who had one, and how they;d got on with it!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I've got the Origin20H. I love it. Mostly. 

Oh, you want more?

All I am about to say must be overlayed with the fact that I am a) mostly a front room noodler and b) don't have a particularly sophisticated aural palette (ie I'm a bit deaf and get equally lost and aroused when people talk about 'tight bottom ends' and pronounced 'mid humps')...

So basically I really likethe base clean tone; it's very Marshally, but yet still warm and fat enough to stop me switching on the Blues Deluxe. It loves good single coils when played clean, though is perhaps a little less convincing when using 'buckers. As I rarely turn the volume up to the point that the output valves get a sweat on, I'm not sure how clean it remains. If I play loud, I play dirty: it's a mood thing, I suppose. 

It takes pedals pretty well, which a couple of my previous 'nice' amps haven't and this is a good thing given the way I use it. I have two flavours of Marshall drive and an EP Booster into the front and then reverb and delay in the loop. Works well.  Also, although the Tilt control is not dramatic in its effect, it's more than good enough to give you a proper range of 'feels'. I typically have it at about 3 o'clock, but sometime wind it right back to get that muddier feel. 

At first, when I turned up the pre-amp gain I was a little disappointed at the levels of dirt on tap. But, having taken it for a loud spin a few times, including at a recent South East Gear-fest, I've realised that it does exactly what it sets out to: delivering plenty of mid-gain marshall lovliness when the wick is wound up, especially with an EP Boost giving it a little goose. 

Is it a lifer? Not sure. Even though I can get the tones I want for my simple needs, I kind of wish it was capable of a thicker, chewier driven sound on its own. I'd like to try it in a band/jam context and see how it fared then.  I wonder whether a sympathetic re-valve would help too.

7/10 maybe? At the price point (especially second hand) maybe 8/10.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Tumbleweed....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    They seem more popular over on TGP and the Marshall forum for some reason, might want to check over there.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 2019
    Pretty much agree with @McToot
    I have the 20 Combo and love it, initially I was disappointed with the amount of gain available (very little) however the slightly gritty clean sound, is to my knackered ears, sublime, add in a drive pedal at the front and a reverb in the loop, happy days, the Marshall Bluesbreaker and Guvnor, unsurprisingly have a voice that work very well.
    Just bought a Hudson Sidecar and it sounds epic!
    Any guitar seems to sound good through it especially using the Sidecar.....

One wierd thing, I tried it at max gain and flat out at full power yesterday, it was fabulous! However when I reduced it back to its lowest power setting I feel like its just a bit dirtier than before...is that even possible?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

@paulnb57 ; - I have found the same thing and suspect one of the amp boffins will confirm it is completely possible. I am an electronics moron: I prefer to think that amps sound glorious because of unicorns and fairy dust, not wires and capacitors. 

I must have a look into the Hudson Sidecar. I currently have a Guvnor MkII and a Guvnor MkI clone, which each have a very different feel and both work superbly. 

• I didn't get on with it at all, so it went back for store credit. I found that at higher volumes it was too bright with single coils, even with the brightness dialled down. I'm now after a Blues Jnr or some such.
    edited January 2019
    McToot said:
    @paulnb57 ;; - I have found the same thing 
    Thats a relief, I thought I was imagining it!
    Ive asked the question in the Amp section...I know speakers "break in" but would have expected it to take longer to hear a difference......

Are you telling me that I don't actually have Unicorns and Fairy Dust in mine? I may have to sell it and get one that does!

Nah! Its a keeper!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2019
    Yep - I have the 50w head that I am running into 2 x 1x12 Celestion loaded cabs.

I did do a review in the reviews - seems nobody read it...?

But here goes:

I have spent some time with it and was surprised that contrary to popular mythology that my otherwise copper-bottomed toneful Les Paul is not the best sound through it. It turns out that my PRS with its P90s absolutely rocks through it. I saved the settings. Also, the otherwise fantastic Mosky Golden Horse (Klon - actually Wampler Tumnus - clone) doesn't work that well through the Marshall but the Kokko Tube Screamer with the drive dialed right down does. In essence though, any additional gain or EQ from a drive pedal can be replicated from the amp itself with just its Boost addition or the Gain/Tilt control on the amp readjusted and mixing up the Tone control on the guitar.

I can get that Bluesbreaker John Mayall~Clapton sound spot on with just the amp turned up loud and the Les Paul in either Mid or Hi setting - big big grin open_mouth

The other interesting fact is that, when it gets hot - it smells like the Popcorn Counter in the cinema!

There is tone to be had in either of the power stem settings but is a lot of readjusting levels required. Also, pedals are better at the lower setting. As I said - the higher power settings dialed deliver classic early Marshall in spades so you don't need much if anything else.

Bottom end on the Hi power setting is sooooo loud and pronounced I bet they can hear it through the ceiling in Australia.

The Clean on the Hi Power is almost 3D-like

Looks beautiful too - I keep caressing it as I walk past it...

I am running unusual 30 year old vintage 100w Celestions with it but they sound astounding in this configuration. - Happy accident.

So to sumerise: It is so good - I have bought the T shirt!

http://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QgxaacfrK1Rjy0Fmq6xhEXXa7.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    paulnb57 said:
    Agree about the 3D description of the clean sounds, I feel the same, but couldn't find the words!...
    Ahh but did it sound organic though? :)
    @57Deluxe ; - Gain on 4 and Master on 9!!  :o

You must have deaf or very understanding neighbours...

• 57Deluxe said:
    Yep - I have the 50w head that I am running into 2 x 1x12 Celestion loaded cabs.

I did do a review in the reviews - seems nobody read it...?

But here goes:

I have spent some time with it and was surprised that contrary to popular mythology that my otherwise copper-bottomed toneful Les Paul is not the best sound through it. It turns out that my PRS with its P90s absolutely rocks through it. I saved the settings. Also, the otherwise fantastic Mosky Golden Horse (Klon - actually Wampler Tumnus - clone) doesn't work that well through the Marshall but the Kokko Tube Screamer with the drive dialed right down does. In essence though, any additional gain or EQ from a drive pedal can be replicated from the amp itself with just its Boost addition or the Gain/Tilt control on the amp readjusted and mixing up the Tone control on the guitar.

I can get that Bluesbreaker John Mayall~Clapton sound spot on with just the amp turned up loud and the Les Paul in either Mid or Hi setting - big big grin open_mouth

The other interesting fact is that, when it gets hot - it smells like the Popcorn Counter in the cinema!

There is tone to be had in either of the power stem settings but is a lot of readjusting levels required. Also, pedals are better at the lower setting. As I said - the higher power settings dialed deliver classic early Marshall in spades so you don't need much if anything else.

Bottom end on the Hi power setting is sooooo loud and pronounced I bet they can hear it through the ceiling in Australia.

The Clean on the Hi Power is almost 3D-like

Looks beautiful too - I keep caressing it as I walk past it...

I am running unusual 30 year old vintage 100w Celestions with it but they sound astounding in this configuration. - Happy accident.

So to sumerise: It is so good - I have bought the T shirt!

http://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QgxaacfrK1Rjy0Fmq6xhEXXa7.jpg

Thanks for the rebiew!!
    Do you think the sweet spot for gigging is the 50 watt or do you think the 20 would do it??
    kreggs said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Agree about the 3D description of the clean sounds, I feel the same, but couldn't find the words!...
    Ahh but did it sound ORGASMIC though? :)
    Fixed that for you..... B)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Didnt like it, much rather own a 1974x or a jtm45, or on a budget an (2nd hand old UK made) dsl50 head and cab or DSL401
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Didnt like it, much rather own a 1974x or a jtm45, or on a budget an (2nd hand old UK made) dsl50 head and cab or DSL401
    Agreed, I tried a JTM45 and it sounded blissful.
    Very different price points though.BintyTwanger77 said:
    Didnt like it, much rather own a 1974x or a jtm45, or on a budget an (2nd hand old UK made) dsl50 head and cab or DSL401

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

Do you think the sweet spot for gigging is the 50 watt or do you think the 20 would do it??
    I think in the 20w combo guise the small speaker is the kicker here. But if you could run the 20 head or combo into a big 4x12 then yes, as you can go balls to the wall and it will be at it's happiest!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Through a Greenback cab the Origin is fairly similar in tone to a JTM45, at least for crunchy sounds.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901