Hudson Sidecar, the hunt is over!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited January 2019 in FX
Been umming and aahing over what lowish gain overdrive pedal to try next with the Origin 20 Combo, a Marshall Bluesbreaker works really well, but on a whim I thought I would try a Hudson Sidecar...
I tried the two footswitch Hudson Broadcast a while back, through a different amp, but there was something about it I didn't like....
Well, the Sidecar is bloody excellent, it really seems to suit the Origin well, Amp clean, pedal gain at 10 o'clock, treble and bass around noon, it growls magnificently and cleans up on the guitar volume pot.....
I don't seem to have to change settings for different guitars, my favourite Strat has high output single coils, the rest are more standard and the Bluesbreaker needed a tweak or two depending which guitar I tried, the Sidecar just keeps on giving, yes it sounds different, but it still sounds good.....
even my partcaster Tele sounds great and I've never liked the bridge pickup on it, I do now!

Well impressed!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    A very good pedal for sure. Have mine wound up as a high gainer on my gig board
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    It’s brilliant. I use mine with a Broadcast through a Mark V:25. Medium gain boost, stacked with the Broadcast and a Wampler Ego for high gain leads!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I like it so much I'm seriously considering getting a second one, one for low gain, one for high, would that be madness?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Not at all! 
  • It sounds phenominal on the TPS video! Would love to try one
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    paulnb57 said:
    Been umming and aahing over what lowish gain overdrive pedal to try next with the Origin 20 Combo, a Marshall Bluesbreaker works really well, but on a whim I thought I would try a Hudson Sidecar...
    I tried the two footswitch Hudson Broadcast a while back, through a different amp, but there was something about it I didn't like....
    Well, the Sidecar is bloody excellent, it really seems to suit the Origin well, Amp clean, pedal gain at 10 o'clock, treble and bass around noon, it growls magnificently and cleans up on the guitar volume pot.....
    I don't seem to have to change settings for different guitars, my favourite Strat has high output single coils, the rest are more standard and the Bluesbreaker needed a tweak or two depending which guitar I tried, the Sidecar just keeps on giving, yes it sounds different, but it still sounds good.....
    even my partcaster Tele sounds great and I've never liked the bridge pickup on it, I do now!

Well impressed!
    Just came to praise this pedal and found your thread. This just showed up at my house and I think it is exactly what I was after!

Had been contemplating getting a Duellist or a Protein or a Blues Power but this is much cheaper and exactly what I wanted out of the Broadcast low gain side but didn’t get. 

Thanks for posting settings. 

Rejoice!
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited January 2022
     I'm hoping people keep hyping it up so i can sell for 5 grand in 10 years time. 
    Another convert! Ive have not even considered buying another drive pedal….

• Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    I regret selling mine and will be keeping an eye out for another. The problem I had was that it takes up two pedal slots on my board because of the shape and size, and I downsized to a more compact board for regular gigging again. It does look super cool though!
    paulnb57 said:
    I like it so much I'm seriously considering getting a second one, one for low gain, one for high, would that be madness?
    Actually, not quote true, I bought a second Sidecar, one at about half gain, the other at full gain, switched through a Quartermaster 4…

I really hate to admit it but it’s possibly going to kick my custom hand wired rattler off the board. I wasn’t expecting that!
    edited January 2022
    paulnb57 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Actually, not quote true, I bought a second Sidecar, one at about half gain, the other at full gain, switched through a Quartermaster 4…
    Still not decided whether or not to go low or high with this one. It actually stacks into the rat really well so maybe if I go lower gain like I originally planned it’ll be best. 

In your first post you were talking about positions on a clock but I’m sat here scratching my head how to translate as the dials don’t have an arrow on them and have numbers and also zero is at the north position when fully off. 

Would you be so kind as to share what numbers are at the north position on your settings please? I’m probably being dim! 
  • pedalo said:
    In your first post you were talking about positions on a clock but I’m sat here scratching my head how to translate as the dials don’t have an arrow on them and have numbers and also zero is at the north position when fully off. 

Would you be so kind as to share what numbers are at the north position on your settings please? I’m probably being dim! 
    Some of them have knobs with an arrow on, some of them have knobs with numbers!
    Mine has pointers
    Low gain is 
    Gain at 12 oclock
    Bass and Treble at 1 oclock
    Level to taste
    High gain
    Gain full on
    Bass at 1 oclock
    Treble at 2 oclock

• pedalo said:

Some of them have knobs with an arrow on, some of them have knobs with numbers!
    I think you can assume that the arrow is in the same position as the number '5' when translating between knob types.
    edited January 2022
    Thanks that is super helpful. 

It also didn’t help that it’s currently sat on my board sideways  :s
    edited January 2022
    paulnb57 said:
    Mine has pointers
    Low gain is 
    Gain at 12 oclock
    Bass and Treble at 1 oclock
    Level to taste
    High gain
    Gain full on
    Bass at 1 oclock
    Treble at 2 oclock
    Your low gain is very Tube Screamer but with a little extra. Love it. It is a really satisfying gain sound that doesn’t crap out too quickly. I landed my bass and treble around the same when playing around earlier. 

The high gain setting is so crisp. I had it sounding a lot Rattier earlier but I like this too. 
  • I need to try one of these. Tubescreamer with a big muff tonestack I believe and some fancy diode stuff going on. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I need to try one of these.
    I think I need to try two! 

Would be nice if there was another foot switch to switch between high and low gain 

This is a total keeper and I would recommend it to anyone. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    edited January 2022
    I’ve been a big fan of the Sidecar for a long time. As a result I have two… one on each board! Works great as a stand-alone pedal and stacks well for big leads.

My early one has the arrow knobs and the newer one the big unmarked dials. I just used a sharpie pen to add a dot on the top to give me a visual.