Do you gig your 'good' acoustic?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
edited January 2019 in Acoustics
I've just started jamming with some old pals and we intend getting gigs in the next couple of months. I've only got the one acoustic - a Stonebridge which cost me over £1000 - and we'll likely have a fair amount of acoustic tracks so I'm wondering whether to buy a cheaper guitar or risk my good one. It's got a couple of light dings on it from home but gigging is a different situation altogether, although it sounds great when amped up.

What would / do you do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Yes, usually - Gibson Dove. There have been some gigs where I've used my singer's brick-outhouse old Eko instead, where I thought there was some real risk... mainly from people wanting to borrow it, which makes me quite wary since it's harder to prevent damage when someone else has got it.

But at the end of the day a cheap guitar with a pickup system sounds really quite like an expensive guitar with a pickup system when you put it through a good preamp and the PA anyway, so it's worth thinking about if you're worried.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    Our drummer owns a wee pub on the coast so first gig will be in there. It will be a fairly sedate affair so I'll use that to get a feel of things. If other gigs look like being busier/cramped I might look at getting a Faith or similar.

I WANT to use my guitar live, that's why I put an LR Baggs M1A in it, but it means a helluva lot to me and I don't want it getting smashed.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    I just bought an LR Baggs I beam for my vintage Gibson J45 for the same reason. However only happy to do so because it already had one installed before so the hole was drilled. Funnily enough leaves me with an LR Baggs M1A to sell
  • Yes I gig with my fancy Larivee and my Japanese Takamine. No point having fancy guitars that you enjoy and not using them. Expect dings/beer/sweat though.

!!!KEEP IT IN THE HARD CASE WHENEVER POSSIBLE!!!

Our double bass player gigs with his >100 year old bass so I couldn't handle the savage bantz if I was precious about the guitars!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31563
    I'm happy to gig expensive guitars, but plugged in my Gibson doesn't sound significantly better than my battered old Faith, so I leave the Gibson at home. 

Also, due to hand injuries I use very light strings on my gigging guitars, and I don't want to compromise the tone of my recording guitar that way. 

Playability is everything in an electro acoustic for me, I'd really be better off with a bolt on plywood clunker with an adjustable bridge and a great pickup system than a delicate, feedback-prone instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    All my guitars are for gigging; that is my attitude to my tools, my instruments. Whether you want to gig yours is your choice. There is no harm done in buying a cheaper guitar, expecially one where the acoustic sound is less important so that you can prep it to get the best amped sound out of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whistler said:
    All my guitars are for gigging; that is my attitude to my tools, my instruments. Whether you want to gig yours is your choice. There is no harm done in buying a cheaper guitar, expecially one where the acoustic sound is less important so that you can prep it to get the best amped sound out of it.

I couldn't agree more. I'll use any guitar that fits the bill for a gig.

That said, I bought a cheap £200 Recording King parlour guitar and it's immense through a PA, so price isn't everything.

With regards dings and marks, so what? Unless you've bought it as an investment and keep the instrument in a controlled environment, get it out a play the hell out of it. That's what they're for and they need to be heard.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    You'll likely get it dinged. If the thought of that kills you, get a cheapo. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    That's partly why I usually buy guitars second-hand, so that they are pre-dinged and I don't get tempted to be precious about them.
  • I gig my good acoustics  because so far most of the gigs I use them for aren't rowdy atmospheres and they sound so much better than my current "cheapos".   I am more wary about gigging my good electrics though, anything  "Gibson" or "Fender" attracts unwanted attention and my Squier Tele plays and sounds great so I use it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    See, I have used my Stonebridge live before but that's been open mic or small private party affairs so relatively 'safe' environments. Pub gigs with more gear, drum kit, and drunk punters is making me a bit more wary.
    Yet if it was my electrics I wouldn't be thinking about it so much!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Maybe it says more about my playing style than anything else...but... 

I couldn't even PLAY properly if I was worrying about damage. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Play it - That's it's sole purpose! Unless you bought it as an investment
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited January 2019
    Mark1960 said:
    Unless you bought it as an investment
    Which, looking at the prices of used, up to 10-15-20 year old acoustics, would seem to be a very bad plan.

I’m on the hunt at the moment and used acoustics, even of the pricey variety, seem to have terrible resale. Worse than electrics even. 

In other words, insure it, play it, enjoy it, look after it seems to be the way forward (notable exceptions being environments where it may end up played by others - as noted above. I solve that by always saying ‘no’)...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Mark1960 said:
    Play it - That's it's sole purpose!
    That's true, but it's perfectly sensible to keep something fragile for playing in safe places, like at home or a recording studio. You don't have to risk damaging an instrument to be playing it.

One of the times I took the Eko to a gig was when we played at an education centre for kids with learning disabilities. One of them wanted to play the guitar, which was fine. Would it have been so fine if it had been my Gibson? I wouldn't have wanted to say no.

I wouldn't take it to a rough pub gig where there's a good chance it would get bashed either. I've seen too many wrecked Lowdens belonging to folk musicians to think that's a good idea.

It's not really about the value - my bass is worth more than my acoustic guitars and I use that anywhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm normally in the 'you buy it to play it' group, however when I comes to acoustics/semi acoustics I totally understand the people who propose a cheaper one for gigging.

Over the years I have had a couple of nice semi acoustics (Gretsch 6120 and Gibson ES335 - owned at different times), both of which were bought with the intention of gigging.  Took each guitar to a number of gigs and they sounded amazing, but then I found myself getting twitchy, so started leaving it at home for the rougher gigs, then sold on because why have such a nice guitar to not play it.  Only to repeat the same thing two years later.

I think it's perceived fragility.  I'll happily take my telecaster to any gig, but I have also on occasion used it to push people back onto the dance floor of certain venues.  I've also seen my mates Gretsch take a wallop from his mic stand when someone fell into it.

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    edited January 2019
    Of course bear this in mind (has a thread of its own on here already)

https://mobile.twitter.com/tonyrobinsonnn/status/1079305434404663297?s=12

All the caution in the world can’t account for that