Boss OD-2 MIT

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Fretboarders, preparing myself for some serious lollage. Why is it that I seem to hang on to Boss pedals? especially the drives? there are Boss haters and there are probably better sounding OD's but Boss seem to work for me, I'd still really like to try out a Broadcast or a Lightspeed.
Apart from the volume drop I’m impressed, I'll be using the gain boost from my FZ-2 to compensate for the low output. I think this could be my favourite Boss OD, The OD-2 sounds different to my OD-1 and SD-2. Had about 30 mins with it last night and managed to get some great Mark Linkous/Sparklehorse tones without much tweaking, I think it's used by Ira Kaplan of Yo La Tengo and I believe the Edge was a user during the late 80's early 90's?
It's a got a lovely vintage vibe to it, fat, chewy and aggressive sounding which is what Iook for in an OD, importantly this pedal interacts very well with the guitar volume, sounds a bit w**ky but single notes sounded fat and beautifully clear on the normal setting even when the gain was maxed out, no mushy spluttery mess here. This is very easy to use, switch to the turbo setting with gain all way up then control overall level with guitar volume and I’m getting some fat chunky rhythm, whack the guitar volume up for some stunning lead tones, I really like both the settings and find the turbo setting to be better sounding than the red channel of my SD-2, loads of nice sustain. The volume issue is a bonus IMO and I can imagine it will work well for home use through my PRRI?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've used one ever since it first came out. I've got other drives but none that've kicked it off the board. As you say, notes and chords sound perfectly clear.
    It can't be used as a significant volume boost but that's not the way I use it. It's without a doubt my favourite ever low gainer.
    I never use the turbo function. Not because it's no good, I just don't use a lot of gain.
    Works nicely for slide as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I haven’t had one for years but I love the boss od2 into a Marshall.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom