Laney Lionheart L5 Studio v 20w Head

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
edited January 2019 in Amps
I've owned both, as well as the 5w Combo. In my experience I didn't notice a massive difference in headroom between the two, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head that the 20w version would be better. I plan on putting a few drive pedals through it. But there's something so appealing about the tiny 5w head!

Someone talk sense to me!
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    3 less el84 to change haha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The 20W has a slightly 'bigger' tone as well as more headroom, but there's not a lot in it. The preamp circuits are identical as far as I remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I had the little 5w studio head which was lovely... I only sold it when the Tweedyluxe came along... The L5 does lots of usb stuff I’d never use though, but might come in handy if you like attaching gear to a PC 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    The 20W has a slightly 'bigger' tone as well as more headroom, but there's not a lot in it. The preamp circuits are identical as far as I remember.
    Interesting, mate. Thanks. In what way can you describe the 'bigger tone' thing, other than the obvious? Its been a while since I owned the two but can't really say I remember much difference. That said, here I am debating the pros and cons of each! Work that out!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    It just seems to have more bottom end and a bit more 'oomph' - but not a huge difference. I've never compared the two side-by-side either, just what I've felt when trying them separately. I can't even remember for certain what the cabs were, but I think the Lionheart 2x12" with the 20 and the 1x12" with the 5 - that could also be part of it (although the same speakers in each), but in general more powerful amps just do have a bigger sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It just seems to have more bottom end and a bit more 'oomph' - but not a huge difference. I've never compared the two side-by-side either, just what I've felt when trying them separately. I can't even remember for certain what the cabs were, but I think the Lionheart 2x12" with the 20 and the 1x12" with the 5 - that could also be part of it (although the same speakers in each), but in general more powerful amps just do have a bigger sound.
    Great stuff, thank you @ICBM. It stands to reason, for sure!

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I felt a great disturbance in the force, it's as if millions of people cried out at once.......get the 20w!!!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • zepp76 said:
    I felt a great disturbance in the force, it's as if millions of people cried out at once.......get the 20w!!!
    Haha! Finding one is the problem! I think that's the one illI be happy to settle on, to be honest.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I've always been interested in the 20w one since it came out, have a soft spot for Laney for some reason. Must be the Iommi association! Are there any decent demos that show off the gainy side of the amp? Can't find many that sound great but might just be down to mic placement etc!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2019
    @TTBZ they're more renowned for being a great pedal platform, the cleans are superb.

Although, this fella seems to do ok with channel 2, to be fair...

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    They do sound lush.
    Sean Angus Watson uses one.. the 5w I think..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Never used the 5W but I have the 20W head and I think it's fantastic.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2019
    @Jonathanthomas83 just seen a LH 5w head + 112 cab pop up on Facebook UKGAGEX, thought I'd let you know!

Probably not for me if they're for pedals, just seen the GH30R head though - more my thing and I liked my GH50L.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I have owned three of the 20w 4x10 combos and I think for the money they are just brilliant. 

I cant say enough good about them