Low power for amps?

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 26
I was practicing at the local hall and 3 of my 100w amps had barely any volume but lower powered amps worked. I changed all the cables, cabs and guitars...Is this a power issue at the practice place? Can't imagine 3 of my amps being faulty at the same time?! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    It is possible for several amplifiers to go sick at the same time.

It is possible that the venue has some restriction on how much mains electricity can be drawn. Current starvation could do some nasty things to your valves.

Physical characteristics of a venue can affect how sound travels from stage to audience.

Big amps turned down low can sound less powerful than a lower power ones, running in their sweet spot. In effect, the 100w amps may be too powerful to work well in the venue.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    Are  the 100w amps solid state?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Jcm 900 head, marshall superlead and jcm 900combo. Took the combo home expecting it to work but same thing happened! Volume so low you can speak over it at full volume. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Test the amps somewhere else, and if all are working fine then it could have been a venue power issue. While it's just possible (though extremely unlikely) for three amps to develop faults at the same time, it's almost impossible for them to all develop exactly the same intermittent fault in one place and then recover at the same time in another.

If it's not the amps, it could be a wiring fault in the venue.

[long story]

A long time ago I was on holiday in France over Christmas, in a chalet complex which was only about a third full because it was partly closed for maintenance during the holiday. On Christmas day, everyone put their Christmas dinner in the ovens at about 10am, but as more and more were turned on the lights started slowly dimming and the ovens not reaching the proper temperature, and by around 11 it was obvious that something was badly wrong and that dinner would not be served! Me and my dad went to investigate, and found the site substation, which was making a loud crackling sound from inside the (locked) doors. We called the site manager, who sent an electrician over - who turned up about an hour later, visibly drunk and not at all happy to be there on Christmas day. Luckily when he opened the doors it was very obvious what the problem was - a large screw terminal was sparking. The electrician produced an enormous screwdriver, and somewhat unsteadily and slightly worryingly given his drunkenness, stuck it in the terminal screw and tightened it. Immediately the sparking stopped, and everything was back to normal.

It was the neutral connection for the whole section of the site that was in use - when there was only a light load it must have been making a good enough contact to work, but not when there were twenty ovens all running at the same time. Probably someone had disconnected the other two areas when they were working on them - which would have shared the neutral connection to the incoming power cable - then forgotten to re-tighten the screw.

The drunken electrician now seemed very happy that it was such a simple job, presumably knowing how much he could charge the site for the call-out :).

[/long story]

TLDR - if you find nothing wrong with the amps, it may be worth contacting the venue and suggesting they have their electrics checked, since there is a potential fire risk if it was that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the reply. The same issue happened at my house when I took the jcm900 combo home
    billando said:
    Thanks for the reply. The same issue happened at my house when I took the jcm900 combo home
    Not a power supply issue then, just very unlucky with three duff amps at the same time!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ok so noticed on the combo the LEDs for output valves failing were on. Closer inspection they both weren't properly in. Not sure if something caused them to pop slightly but I put them back in properly and now it's working!! Interesting tomoro to see if my other amps were the same. Surely looking like a power issue now would u say? Only happened with the 100w amps.  
    billando said:

Surely looking like a power issue now would u say?
    No. There is no way a power issue of any kind could cause fuse holders to undo themselves.

• I'm not an expert with that kind of thing but it's strange it likely happened on 3 100w amps. No chance of sabotage.