Cites changes?

LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited January 2019 in Guitar
This was a while back but I've only just seen it, and from reading the article it looks like it should go through in May. 

Would be a huge boost for the guitar industry,  meaning that all the big American brands will instantly reduce their prices*

http://mmrmagazine.com/mmr-global/mmr-global-gear/breakthrough-at-latest-cites-meeting/

*this will not happen 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    There is a similar article in either Guitarist or The Guitar Magazine this month - I've heard rumours a couple of times towards the end of last year, including comments from a source who has sat in at various government meetings on this subject

Would be great news if it happens and gets rid of the barrier that makes it so hard to buy/sell overseas - Especially if Brexit ends up with a customs barrier between us and the rest of the EU

Don't see any impact on pricing as it is only an admin cost involved - The large companies can apply one CITES certificate number to one shipment - So if Fender bring in say 500 guitars from the USA this month to the EU, then that is one shipment and one CITES application, so minimal admin costs
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    I don’t think it will have any effect on new prices which are pretty inelastic (and must be one of the reasons the competition authorities are having a look?) but I think it will probably have an affect on the used market which will become more fluid again and prices may therefore lower as a result.  I’ve seen many more sales adverts saying “ won’t ship to Europe owing to cites regulations” from the the States/Japan and I definitely think it’s something people consider when looking to buy from overseas.  It’s possible a more active used market will have an affect on new prices longer term though.