Dumble-esque pedals - what's good and what's meh?

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Jimbro66 said:
    I was in a band for a few years where I wanted that Dumble OD Special sound. I started of with a Hermida Zendrive then after a year or two moved to an Ethos Overdrive. Both did the D-sound equally well IMO. The Zendrive was something of a one trick pony whereas the Ethos was more flexible in its range of sounds. The Ethos is quite a lump on a pedalboard.

After leaving that band I retained the Ethos for a while before selling it for a good price and then buying a MP Simble. The Simble is excellent. Here is a vid comparing it with a real Dumble ODS:

https://youtu.be/OkK4AYMylLs

Points to to bear in mind are that the amp and its settings will influence how ‘Dumble’ the pedal sounds. Any of the pedals mentioned in this thread will get you there with the right amp setup. Also, too many guys get too anal about that sound but are generally talking nuances that would be totally lost on a gig audience. So achieving that sound is largely for your own satisfaction.
    I just love that solo by Larry Carlton on Kid Charlemagne - must get round to learning it properly!  Now, don't laugh - but the Boutique Overdrive ('Dumble' ODS) model on my old 2004 Valvetronix AD120VTX is actually pretty darned good. I was playing along to the vid with my Yamaha 611VFM and if the same guitarist played the same thing on my amp and guitar, I think most folk would struggle to tell any difference.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Oh Mummy!

Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:
    Zendrive into a Fender combo is close enough for most people.
    It is my preferred option as well.
    from what I've seen that "just" nails the smooth thing - and it's not necessarily about that 
    Depends on how you have Voice set.
    Consider it is a type of second gain stage- that is how it sounds to me anyway.
    If you dial it back and the tone up and it will get pretty gnarly.
    Dial it up and tone down and it will sound pretty smooth- the Robben Ford/Larry Carlton thing.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    They're stupid money but I heard a Dumbloid in Tokyo last year. It sounded ace. I was going to try it myself but the guy testing it bought it, the cheeky git.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Just to toss another pedal into the mix, Jetter GS124 is a lovely Dumblesque pedal and a keeper.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    They're stupid money but I heard a Dumbloid in Tokyo last year. It sounded ace. I was going to try it myself but the guy testing it bought it, the cheeky git.
    The builder of the Dumbloid, Shin Suzuki, designed a pedal for MXR two years ago called the Shin-Juku Drive. Haven't seen one in the wild yet but it's another option in the Zen Drive / Simble mould. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'm dumblefounded by the amount of choice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Voxman said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    https://youtu.be/OkK4AYMylLs
    I just love that solo by Larry Carlton on Kid Charlemagne - must get round to learning it properly!  Now, don't laugh - but the Boutique Overdrive ('Dumble' ODS) model on my old 2004 Valvetronix AD120VTX is actually pretty darned good. I was playing along to the vid with my Yamaha 611VFM and if the same guitarist played the same thing on my amp and guitar, I think most folk would struggle to tell any difference.
    Yeah, that was a superb solo from the great man. Interesting comment about the Valvetronix.

FB member @Stinkfoot's band Stanley Dee covers Kid Charlemagne and he really nails that solo. Great guitar sound too. From 2.12

Apart from the ES-339 (?) I don't know what amp/pedals he's using but sounds good.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Fun fact - the Kid Charlemagne solo was cut with a Tweed Deluxe!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an Ethos and a Zendrive 2 that are a match made in heaven.

However, I heard one of these in the flesh the other day...

...and my head was more than a little turned!

I still have whiplash actually...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey @Jimbro66 - thanks for the referral! At that time I was using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and for overdrive it was a Jetter GS3 pedal. It's a really nice dual overdrive, very transparent and cleans up nicely too. Having said that I'm using a Helix direct to PA mostly these days, and when I sometimes get positive comments about the tone some haven't even realised I'm not using the traditional amp/pedal set-up!
    Was thinking about selling the Jetter actually, but knowing my track record for changing my mind about what is my 'perfect set-up', I'll hang on to it just in case!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Stinkfoot said:
    Hey @Jimbro66 - thanks for the referral! At that time I was using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and for overdrive it was a Jetter GS3 pedal. It's a really nice dual overdrive, very transparent and cleans up nicely too. Having said that I'm using a Helix direct to PA mostly these days, and when I sometimes get positive comments about the tone some haven't even realised I'm not using the traditional amp/pedal set-up!
    Was thinking about selling the Jetter actually, but knowing my track record for changing my mind about what is my 'perfect set-up', I'll hang on to it just in case!

Thanks for the info bud. The band looks great fun as well as being musically spot-on. I must get up that way to one of your gigs some day.
  • Kingsley Juggler If you have the dough
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited April 2019
    Jalapeno said:

Zenduko

See after 21:27 for a close up on settings

</fanboi>

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    If you edit your post, you have to re-add the video otherwise it's broken.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Check this pedal show vid out guys.  They compare a loud of the dumble style pedals.   

But ** checkout the vid at 31mins 12 seconds.   They use a Boss Ge7 paired with a Boss Blues Driver and attempt to get a dumble tone that compares with the Ethos pedal.  They get pretty close!

I ended up with a Van Weelden Royal Overdrive 
    Red ones are better. 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    edited April 2019
    I second the dude pedal. Have owned that one for a couple of years. It sounds great with humbuckers and single coils and works well with clean amps.   The pedal is LOUD!  Headroom for days...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I need to try The Dude. Recently had the MP Simble and thought it was horrible and I’m a huge MP fan. Way too much bass and just flubby sounding. 
    I have a Dude too - I A/B'd it with the Royal Overdrive for a while to try and work out which was best - all I concluded is that they are both differently brilliant - sometimes I'd prefer one, other times the other. 

The Dude also has masses of lowe end, although it actually has masses of everything, and the controls are powerful. None of these things are bass shy though 
    Red ones are better.