MXR Green Day Dookie Pedal

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
I know this is mentioned in the Green Day Reverb sale thread, but rather than hijack that thread I thought I'd start a new one.

I was looking at my (albeit novice level) pedal board the other night and was thinking I could probably justify another drive pedal. I barely ever use my Rat since I got an Op-Amp Big Muff reissue so I was trying to figure out what could replace the Rat and maybe give me a Green Day sort of sound over to an early Metallica... Then the next day I see this is coming out. I'm a big fan of the early Green Day stuff as they are one of the bands that really got me into music in my early to mid teens, so I'm maybe looking at this with Green Day rose-tinted glasses on, but this looks to be able to cover a lot more options than "click here for the Dookie sound".

What do folk reckon to these? $189 in the US would make it the dearest pedal I'm likely to buy in the foreseeable future (assuming it's about £150 here) but it looks much more versatile than the graphics suggest. The blend control looks really useful and the sales patter seems to suggest it can do some pretty good metal and rock sounds.

There are a few clips on YouTube now, but this is a decent balance of short and still covering the pedal without too much sales pitch and NAMM Noisery.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This sounds cool!  I might pick one of these up myself, I like the idea of the blend knob, I bet it would be really versatile. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I agree. The Reverb video I posted only has a wee bit of playing, but you get the idea OK from it I think.

There was another one I watched (Premier Guitar I think) that was a fair bit longer and went into the sound options a bit more, but it was a bit annoying to watch somehow.
    edited January 2019
    Holy Shit... Andertons are listing is at £219.99. I can't justify that.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/namm-electric-guitars/mxr-green-day-dookie-drive

PMT are the listing it at the same, £219.99.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  that is a bit expensive, maybe it will be cheaper when it comes out. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    That's what I'm hoping for. I'm not sure how they price these at this point, I was kind of hoping for £150-175 in the UK... which I think I could justify if I covered half by selling stuff. £150 is probably just wishful thinking.

But I'm getting £145ish straight USD to GBP... +VAT takes that to £175 mark. So maybe £190 rrp here.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I like the artwork.  Quite a lot to pay for artwork though.
    Tonally reminded me of a Marshall Guv'nor.
    I had a massive poster of the Dookie artwork on my wall for years as a teenager. Totally reminds me of that stage of my life, I still find it brilliant how music does that.

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited January 2019
    Nothing that the Way Huge Fat Sandwich can't do. And it's cheaper, more versatile and probably more reliable.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    £220 is WAY to expensive and not at all punk. Great album, great sounding pedal, but £220?!?!?!?
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

If it were cheaper I'd get one, for no other reason than it's just a cool bit of kit with great sounds.

Can't help feeling it's going to be nostalgia that's the biggest selling point here and not the tones available.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I have to say, when I started the thread I was ready to shell out for one as soon as I could get it, but now I've seen the likely UK price I've pretty much completely gone off that idea. If it comes in at the £175 mark or so, I think I'll get one... but over £200, no chance. I know the difference between those two figures isn't much in the scheme of things, but £200 is the sort of figure where I start thinking I could do something better with that money.

Andy
  • Things tend to come over pound for dollar so i'd expect rrp £190, once they arrive the price wars will start, you've waited 25 years for this pedal so another couple of months wont hurt!  :)
    Argh, I agree. :)

I am going to set £190 as my top whack, but now I am setting my target based on paying half by selling stuff I already have.
    Hmmm.

I wandered onto the Guitar Guitar website at lunchtime there. They are showing it at £219.99 too. Instantly I had one of those infuriating pop-ups - "Can I help you?". Aye, this time you can. "Is this going to be £219.99 or is that likely to change when it hits the shops?"

"Yes, the price will be £219.99 and they should be with us in May."

Balls. Too dear. Wallet staying closed for the time being at least. Maybe towards the end of the year I'll see if any pop up second hand.
  • They're going to say that because they want pre-orders at top whack, have a look and see what other MXR signature pedals are discounted like.
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, that's good advice, thanks.

Is the price you pre-order at fixed if you just pay a deposit? I've bought loads of stuff early on Amazon (I know it's not a fair comparison though) and they adjust the price on the the day they ship... but that's doesn't seem reasonable to expect that for something like a pedal or a guitar or something.

Anyway, if it's May, it's May so I've got time to save / sell or whatever. I'm 40 in July so I guess I can ask Mrs. P and see if she fancies buying it for my birthday. :)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Just wait until they hit the shops....
  • I'm still waiting for my 40th from the missus and i'm 41 in March!

Billie Joe Armstrongs Les Paul Junior will be on Reverb soon, maybe i'll ask for that??  :)
    :)

To be honest, I think I've had my 40th present already. Mrs. P is taking me to the Italian MotoGP in May.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The artwork looks cool as well, I bet these will be sought after if they are ever discontinued.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom