MXR Green Day Dookie Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    What am I not hearing from this pedal?
    I can't understand what people are getting all excited about, much less why anyone would pay £220 for what sounds like a very average pedal.
    Maybe you absolutely have to be a Green Day fan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Sassafras said:
    I can't understand what people are getting all excited about, much less why anyone would pay £220 for what sounds like a very average pedal.
    I agree. Sounded awful in the demo I watched. There are way better MIAB pedals for much less money. Green Day have never been about super-expensive gear.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited January 2019
    I dunno to be honest. The price is a big problem, for sure.

I just thought the idea of being able to blend the two sounds and the scoop button was really useful for what I am looking for. But like you said above, it's probably nothing new. I'm not all that clued-up other than being a big fan of music and still find gear pretty confusing, especially pedals. From my untrained perspective it just looked easy to use to get a range of sounds I want and that I'd actually want to use... plus it had the added bonus of nostalgia, but that last bit is a very poor reason to start throwing logic out of the window.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Sassafras said:
    I agree. Sounded awful in the demo I watched. There are way better MIAB pedals for much less money. Green Day have never been about super-expensive gear.
    I agree with that too.

I have to say, when I saw the price the whole thing changed. It does seem a lot dearer in the UK than it should be if it's $189 street price in the US. I know it's not as simple as it sounds converting to UK prices... but the jump seems a lot.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Im aware of at least two pedals that do series n parallel dual circuits - Strymon Sunset  but maybe a more affordable  Boss Angry Driver - Im sure others can chip in here ..

Btw - I didnt here anything particularly special sound wise there and also remember your amp may or may not be the perfect pedal platform for the MXR ... 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    andyp said:
     ...plus it had the added bonus of nostalgia, but that last bit is a very poor reason to start throwing logic out of the window.
    You're in very good company as so many of us dispense with reason for all sorts of excuses... not just nostalgia.
    A forum member once said that he was like Smaug, the dragon in The Hobbit, but sitting on top of a horde of pedals... it's an image I identified with too. 
    It has taken me f*ing years to realise that you can make pretty much any overdrive and distortion sound essentially the same any other -- especially when it comes to playing live and super-definitely especially after five minutes of playing when the initial differences drain down to the miniscule things which they are.  It's not fair because there's a bit of me which likes treasure!
    I reign it in these days but it's not a crime and so long as I don't feel like I'm being totally mugged with something I'll get it if I want to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Grunfeld said:
    andyp said:
     ...plus it had the added bonus of nostalgia, but that last bit is a very poor reason to start throwing logic out of the window.
    You're in very good company as so many of us dispense with reason for all sorts of excuses... not just nostalgia.
    A forum member once said that he was like Smaug, the dragon in The Hobbit, but sitting on top of a horde of pedals... it's an image I identified with too. 
    It has taken me f*ing years to realise that you can make pretty much any overdrive and distortion sound essentially the same any other -- especially when it comes to playing live and super-definitely especially after five minutes of playing when the initial differences drain down to the miniscule things which they are.  It's not fair because there's a bit of me which likes treasure!
    I reign it in these days but it's not a crime and so long as I don't feel like I'm being totally mugged with something I'll get it if I want to.
    I can't remember it word for word but on one of the JHS vlogs he said all overdrives are basically the same the difference is eq, so if you plugged any overdrive into a graphic equaliser you'd eventually get the sound of any other overdrive pedal. That's from a guy who makes a whole range of overdrives. 

Although the Dookie seems like a cool pedal, real shame it's a crazy price. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2019
    I’m glad it’s understandable then.

To be honest, I’ll be able to cover half selling stuff I don’t need, including my Rat which this would replace. Much as I quite like the Rat, I just don’t use it. I don’t have many pedals and Mrs P said just to get it as my present to myself for my 40th later on in the year, which doesn’t seem too extraneous to be fair.

I’m over thinking this for sure (as always), but with a wife and young kids it’s hard not to think what else I could do with the money. I’m leaning towards just treating myself here. But if I do... and it arrives and it’s not awesome it’ll go straight back.

Mrs. P at lunch time: Did you order that thing you were on about?

Me: No, it seems too much money.

Mrs. P.: Just order it.

Me: OK, but...

Mrs. P.: Get it f'kin ordered.

So I've pre-ordered it from GG. Same price everywhere that I could see, except GAK listing it as £246.99 discounted to £219.99.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Don’t forget Andertons are on triple loyalty points to the end of the month.
    Didn’t know that. Thanks. I’ll investigate! I do quite like GG though as they have two shops local-ish to me.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    andyp said:
    Mrs. P at lunch time: Did you order that thing you were on about?

Me: No, it seems too much money.

Mrs. P.: Just order it.

Me: OK, but...

Mrs. P.: Get it f'kin ordered.

So I've pre-ordered it from GG. Same price everywhere that I could see, except GAK listing it as £246.99 discounted to £219.99.
    Good on you, sometimes doing what the boss says is the right answer :) 
    I know reactions are mixed on it, but I’m pretty chuffed. I just hope it’s good when it eventually shows up.
  • andyp said:
    Didn’t know that. Thanks. I’ll investigate! I do quite like GG though as they have two shops local-ish to me.
    The convenience of shopping online whilst keeping a clear conscience by staying local, I like your style!  :)
    :)

It does work to be honest, the Glasgow shop has been great when I’ve been in and they did say if I want to return something or need help etc I can just pop in to the shop.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

If nothing else this pedal inspired me to visit the local secondhand record shop and get some Green Day c.d.'s.

3 for £5

I had to get Dookie on ebay though for the princely sum of £2.16

This may swing me in favour of the pedal, or it might not, who knows!

Nice work! :)

• ionianionian Frets: 100
    I love the green day sound but this pedal is well outside my comfort zone on price. The Dookie sound is a little more trebly than the earlier Kerplunk album - maybe it's a production issue, but the guitar tone on Christie Road is one of the nicest chuggy palm muted tones ever in the history of recording. In my opinion of course :) 
    ionian said:
    I love the green day sound but this pedal is well outside my comfort zone on price. The Dookie sound is a little more trebly than the earlier Kerplunk album - maybe it's a production issue, but the guitar tone on Christie Road is one of the nicest chuggy palm muted tones ever in the history of recording. In my opinion of course :) 
    I agree, if it wasn't for being able to blame this on my birthday this summer I'd not be buying it.

I used to listen to Kerplunk, Dookie and Insomniac all the time back in my teens. About time I revisit Kerplunk... that's a job for this afternoon then!

• The pedal looks pretty cool but i cant help biut think that the "dookie sound" is 90% Billy Joe Armstrong being an absolute monster rhythm guitarist, 5% production and 5% gear...