New band, old school approach - advice wanted

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
edited January 2019 in Live
I've recently joined a new band and I really enjoy playing with them.  They're a great bunch of lads, no egos or band politics and it's really fun. However.....f@%k me they like it loud! My ears are still ringing from last weekend's gig! They prefer an old school approach with the backline providing the main onstage monitoring (they still Mic up the amp for the PA) so I've gone back to an amp and pedals rather than my preferred option of an AX8 with a DXR10 as a monitor in front of me and a direct feed to the FOH. To be fair,  they've been doing it their way for 25 years so i don't want to rock the boat as the newcomer and i really enjoy playing with them. 
Any suggestions on how to keep everyone happy and my hearing intact?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Earplugs. Proper moulded ones. ASAP.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Earplugs. Proper moulded ones. ASAP.
    This ^
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    As has already been said, moulded earplugs. I use ACS Pro 17's and they work well for me, so much that I wear them to gigs.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Call matt from reed audio and get some plugs made quick!.
  • I had the same problem 20 years ago. I noticed some loss of my top end in one ear (specifically the right ear which was pointed towards the mountain gorilla of a drummers china cymbal).
    Started with some over the counter ear plugs that do change the sound significantly, but found if I set my guitar right before putting the plugs I was ok.
    Eventually splurged on a set of custom fit ACS Pro 17’s and wish I’d done it years ago.
    I wear them to all my own gigs and most other gigs I go to watch and the difference is amazing.
    They are also great for wearing at the Brum Guitar Show during ‘noisy time’.
  • This is my band also....
    Although we've only been together 3-4 years, and we've toyed with going direct, we prefer playing with valve amps and the drummer is an absolute monster, so we end up being pretty loud.  We mic up all amps plus kick and drum overhead for IEM so we don't need floor monitors.

I would definitely recommend mounded ear plugs of some sort. I have some roll off in my hearing around 4K and also some high top end (recent audiometric testing a team work came in handy) so I will be investing in better ear protection asap before it's too late.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Read Audio molded plugs! Superb, and you’ll have them in a few days. I’ve got several pairs of ACS Pro too and much prefer the Reads... they’re an awful lot more pleasant to sing whilst wearing too.

http://www.read-audio.com/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Earplugs.

Do a brief soundcheck without them to make sure your volume and tone is in the right ballpark, then put them in and *resist the temptation to adjust your sound if you think it isn't right* - not without a brief check without the plugs later, but don't do it too often. Remember that exposure time matters as much as sheer volume, unless the volume is so excessive that damage is almost instant.

If at any point any others - in the band or offstage - without earplugs say that you're too loud or too trebly, trust them and turn it down a bit. You'll get used to it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Earplugs and enjoy it. (Oh and buy a JCM800 and enjoy it even more)